Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

The only thing I will say about the Machado market is that the Phillies simply can't afford to around wait forever for Machado to make a decision.

They're trying to compete THIS year and NEXT year.  They only have Nola for 3 more years, and Arrieta's getting long in the tooth as well.

If they don't take advantage of their window (if there is one) now, then the Braves and Nationals will be ahead of them with the Marlins eventually rising on the rebuild and god knows what the Mets are doing (they're at least theoretically INTERESTING).

But they're eventually going to have to turn to Plan B if it seems like Machado's not even going to be swayed by a 10-15% premium on what the White Sox are willing to pay.

If the Phillies posture like they're going after Moustakas/Gonzalez and Pollock, it might be enough to keep either the White Sox or Phillies from paying north of $300 million...because if the Phillies feel that Machado is solidly in the White Sox camp, they might decide it's much wiser to spread that money around and still reserve their powder for the trade deadline, depending on how things break this season.

They also run the risk of making Machado feel like a back-up or secondary option to Harper.

Finally, the Nationals have a compelling interest here in retaining Harper, but if the Nationals do pull that off (bringing him back)...it's not a sure thing there will be enough time to react if Philly keeps waiting on the Machado camp to make a firm decision.  It's pretty easy to imagine them going from "two birds in the hand" to nothing at all.

Edited by caulfield12

Good write up shack...but if the Phillies pay Harper 10/376 without any real threat of a major market team (except the White Sox) they truly are idiotic for giving into Boras. 

Harper should NOT get more than 10/345. 10/326 beats Stanton and they need to realize paying 50 million over that is just betting against themselves. The White Sox would NEVER go over 10/326 and I really bet they are more in the 8/290 realm with Bryce...hence no deal so far. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

People are beginning to actually, firmly believe that Bryce Harper will sign with someone else and not in Philadelphia because he doesn’t always want to be compared with Mike Trout. Now, it seems that our local heroes have also become infected.

The White Sox, reportedly, have still not made an offer to Harper, who they've been in on much of the offseason.

If the Phillies are the "clear-cut favorite" for Harper, as Nightengale described them, then is there still a chance they can sign Machado, too? Well, yes. While acquiring both 26-year-old superstars would seem even out of the price range of the "spend stupid" Phillies, they appear to have the desire to get it done, especially if they get creative with shorter deals.

But that's where an eight-year, $250 million contract offer could come in handy.

Passan suggests that this offer from the White Sox could merely be a step in the bidding process for Machado, with the deal eventually getting pushed to the decade-long status many believed it would take to land either of these free agents at the beginning of the offseason. The White Sox had been previously reported to not want to go past seven years in their offers to either Machado or Harper. But now here we stand.

As for when Machado's decision might happen, it was reported that it could come as quickly as the middle of this week. But with a potentially new status quo after Harper's face-to-face meeting with the Phillies, who knows? It's long been speculated that these sagas could stretch into February, and while the White Sox are still in on Harper — having met with him twice in Vegas, according to reports — if they haven't even made him an offer yet, that could signal that the process is far from over. Or it could signal they're not as much in on Harper as the Phillies are.

Passan reported Sunday night that there is a mysterious third team in on Machado, as well, but it seems a possibility that only a few outcomes remain. Nightengale forecasted Harper going to Philly and Machado going to the South Side. Perhaps the two join forces in Philly.

How will it end? When will it end?

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/author/vinnie-duber

I don’t begrudge Boras for working to extract every last dollar in FA negotiations. Where he does a disservice to clients is when he refuses to entertain extensions. Case in point, Carlos Rodon. After Carlos’ strong 2016 he may have been able to get 7/$100M easily out of the Sox. This year he’ll make 2.5M , and only another arm injury away from insignificance. If John Danks had Boras for an agent, he’d be about $75M light. 

Harper appears to be the fan favorite. He would be the guy that would generate the most interest, encourage the most season ticket sales, and sell the most shirseys. And while Machado might be a purer “baseball fit,” in that he’s a superior defender at third base than Harper is in the outfield, Harper’s defense has taken unnecessary lashings, and his clubhouse attitude and brashness may be more what the team needs.

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2019/1/14/18182271/hittin-season-248-the-phillies-are-the-leading-contender-to-land-bryce-harper

45 minutes ago, Baker said:

I don’t begrudge Boras for working to extract every last dollar in FA negotiations. Where he does a disservice to clients is when he refuses to entertain extensions. Case in point, Carlos Rodon. After Carlos’ strong 2016 he may have been able to get 7/$100M easily out of the Sox. This year he’ll make 2.5M , and only another arm injury away from insignificance. If John Danks had Boras for an agent, he’d be about $75M light. 

Sale got 5/$33mm ... so 7/100 for Rodon seems verrrry on the heavy side.

Thinking on this. Nightingale said that the Phillies are favourites to land Harper, I just wonder if the Sox have fed him that so they can conduct their negotiations and contract offer with Boras under the radar, trying to trump the Phillies offer. They like to do things under the radar and must be raging at all the public leaks and stories from the insiders on Machado.

45 minutes ago, glangon said:

Thinking on this. Nightingale said that the Phillies are favourites to land Harper, I just wonder if the Sox have fed him that so they can conduct their negotiations and contract offer with Boras under the radar, trying to trump the Phillies offer. They like to do things under the radar and must be raging at all the public leaks and stories from the insiders on Machado.

That would be a novel approach...blame the leaks and social media information/misinformation for poisoning negotiations.

In the end, the net effect of all this stuff we’re constantly speculating about can’t possibly be more than +/- 3-5% in any direction at any given time.

Fernando Tatis, III ha sido el mejor novato que se ha visto LIDOM en los últimos 10 años?  

Has Fernando Tatis, III been the best rookie that you have seen in the Dominican Winter League in the past 10 years?

36% I don’t believe so.     64% Without a doubt!      845 votes.

Question at Hector Gomez’s Twitter account.

Edited by caulfield12

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That would be a novel approach...blame the leaks and social media information/misinformation for poisoning negotiations.

In the end, the net effect of all this stuff we’re constantly speculating about can’t possibly be more than +/- 3-5% in any direction at any given time.

More like using the leaks and social media info to your advantage in the negotiations. I agree with you, -3.5% in either direction is probably correct. My point was the White Sox love to work under the radar and using Nightengale like this would keep them under the radar whilst remaining very active with Harper

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Good read. I always felt Harper was a Philly type of guy anyway. He fits the ESPN narrative there, but would have really changed how our team is viewed. He may not be the best player in baseball, but he is the most popular and recognized. 

12 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Hey, I'll take that too. I just want one of them.

Yeah no doubt. I'm not a fan of the rumored interest in Moose but if the Sox signed Harper I wouldn't object to Moose for the right contract. Really hope the Sox are in on Pomeranz. 

Edited by BlackSox13

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Grain of salt

So after all of the hoopla around fancy presentations and special trips made by Jim Thome, the Sox are just out of this thing, without having made a formal offer?  I'm not sure I believe this.  I don't think the Sox have played their final card on this one, not after all of this time and effort.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

I don’t think you will hear much on the Whitesox pursuit of him until we figure out where Manny goes, if it’s to philly I think we hop right back in bed with Boras and Harper

This would be my guess.

41 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

So after all of the hoopla around fancy presentations and special trips made by Jim Thome, the Sox are just out of this thing, without having made a formal offer?  I'm not sure I believe this.  I don't think the Sox have played their final card on this one, not after all of this time and effort.  

Yea, I find that hard to believe. Unless Harper has specifically told the Sox "I will not play for you," (which is moronic because it's the only other team that can offer you a mega deal) I can't see the Sox being completely out on him.

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils