Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Maybe the Cubs would add Adzolay as well, and he had TJS late this past season.  Adzolay doesn't help the Cubs in their window. 

Like fathom said, I think the Giants should just rebuild at this point. But the fact that they're even rumored to be interested in this deal shows that rebuilding isn't even a possibility for them. In that case, I think they'd be better off signing Lowrie/LeMahieu/Dozier to play 2B and Markakis to play OF for a fraction of the financial commitment that Heyward requires. Like I said, Schwarber and Happ shouldn't be a good enough reason for the Giants to do a deal in which they take on Heyward.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Maybe the Cubs would add Adzolay as well, and he had TJS late this past season.  Adzolay doesn't help the Cubs in their window. 

The Cubs have a couple of nice lefty arms, a top notch catcher, and some nice middle infielders in their top 10 prospects, any of whom would be nice adds.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

They can afford it. Absorbing contracts in return for talent is a decent way to start a rebuild.

If the Giants were to completely tear it down and start over, that process from start to finish obviously takes several years as all of us Sox fans are well aware of. Schwarber has 3 years of control left, Almora 4, and Happ 5. The Giants would only reap the rewards of taking on those guys for a short period of time in a couple years and that's if their rebuild progressed fairly quickly. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It might be a different story if the Cubs had several top prospects whose MLB service time hadn't started yet, but that's not the case.

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

If the Giants were to completely tear it down and start over, that process from start to finish obviously takes several years as all of us Sox fans are well aware of. Schwarber has 3 years of control left, Almora 4, and Happ 5. The Giants would only reap the rewards of taking on those guys for a short period of time in a couple years and that's if their rebuild progressed fairly quickly. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It might be a different story if the Cubs had several top prospects whose MLB service time hadn't started yet, but that's not the case.

Gives them guys they could flip in a year or two. That isn't an unreasonable thought.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

He was the one saying Harper is waiting on the Cubs to clear some salary.

Where is that string of iPhone text messages showing that when you need it? Like Clark’s tweet, they had a chance at being right. Theories can always be thrown out there when there’s nothing out there to prove anything.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

You guys really believe that Harper and Boras "haven't even entertained other teams since the Winter Meetings"? 

People are buying into this way too much IMO.  I’m not doubting Rock was told this, but from what I have heard there is zero chance this would ever leak  to a beat writer.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

You guys really believe that Harper and Boras "haven't even entertained other teams since the Winter Meetings"? 

Don't know about this, but I strongly believe it was always a 2 team race between the Cubs and Dodgers with the Cubs the heavy favorite.  All the talk about them being broke was completely fabricated to try and give them leverage in trades.  I also believe the Sox have thought they were a factor for Bryce but have been used to raise bids.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Don't know about this, but I strongly believe it was always a 2 team race between the Cubs and Dodgers with the Cubs the heavy favorite.  All the talk about them being broke was completely fabricated to try and give them leverage in trades.  I also believe the Sox have thought they were a factor for Bryce but have been used to raise bids.

How does pretending to be broke give you leverage in trades when you’re trying to deal undesirable assets?  And I know for a fact they have a budge they have to adhere to.  You are giving Theo way too much credit here and ignoring the fact that all these Cubs rumors are Boras 101 for creating panic amongst the actual teams pursuing Harper.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How does pretending to be broke give you leverage in trades when you’re trying to deal undesirable assets?  And I know for a fact they have a budge they have to adhere to.  You are giving Theo way too much credit here and ignoring the fact that all these Cubs rumors are Boras 101 for creating panic amongst the actual teams pursuing Harper.

But this is in response to rock's news, not a Heyman or Morosi report.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

To be honest, I thought going into the offseason that Machado was always going to the Yankees and Harper to the Dodgers or Cubs. I never really thought the Phillies or Sox had a chance. Out of the Phillies/Sox, I actually like the Sox organizational talent better than the Phillies, and I think the Sox are better set up for sustainable success. The only advantage the Phillies have over the Sox is that most of their young talent is further along in the development process. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Dude, I know you want to hang on to hope, but you're in denial. It ain't happening. Do yourself a favor and move on. You're like a jilted ex bf right now. She ain't coming back to you. Let it go.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils