Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Dude, I know you want to hang on to hope, but you're in denial. It ain't happening. Do yourself a favor and move on. You're like a jilted ex lover right now. She ain't coming back to you. Move on, dude. 

Lol...so much for optimistic Jack Parkman.  And honestly, if people want to panic over this that’s their choice, but it doesn’t jive with what I’ve heard.

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

How does anyone? Just because he's a beat reporter doesn't mean he can't get random sources like the the rest of us can.

And most of those sources have agendas.  Most front office folks don’t leak out important information to beat writers for no reason.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...so much for optimistic Jack Parkman.  And honestly, if people want to panic over this that’s their choice, but it doesn’t jive with what I’ve heard.

CWS, Rock has been posting here for at least  a decade and he has solid sources. Before Rock said this, I was pretty optimistic there were no realistic options for the Cubs to move money, and all signs pointed to the Sox by process of elimination. As time went on, I was starting to believe more and more the Sox could actually land Harper, because there was no real market for him. If Boras and Theo were buddy buddy the whole time and Theo just needed to find someone to take Heyward, and he'd be willing to give up whatever it took within reason to dump him, Harper was going to the Cubs the whole time and there was literally nothing any other FO could do to change that. If Machado is going to the Yankees, the same is true for him. He was going there the whole time and there was nothing anyone could do to change that. It isn't some epic failure, it is just bad timing and that Machado and Harper are more concerned with winning now, and cashing in later if they stay healthy. Can you really blame them? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Glad you said this, because the only way this leak would happen would be via Theo or Jed.  Is that what you think happened here?

Incorrect. There are others who know what is going on. You don't actually think that Theo and Jed don't consult anyone lower on the totem pole then each other, do you? It isn't one or two guys making these decisions. Did you ever watch Moneyball? There are 10-15 people in on this with Theo and Jed being two of them. There are 8-13 other FO members who could have leaked this info. 

Also, most talent evaluators don't have the labor law knowledge themselves to write the player contracts. They hire lawyers to do that. How do you know that this guy isn't in that branch of the FO? There are probably 45-50 people in that organization who know exactly what is going on and 40+ of them aren't Epstein, Hoyer or a Ricketts. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Incorrect. There are others who know what is going on. You don't actually think that Theo and Jed don't consult anyone lower on the totem pole then each other, do you? It isn't one guy making these decisions. Did you ever watch Moneyball? There are 10-15 people in on this with Theo and Jed being two of them. There are 8-13 other FO members who could have leaked this info. 

Yeah, I mean at the very least they are talking to their scouting department and cross checkers about players from the Giants or whomever are involved in these talks. Trades don't happen with only 1 or 2 guys in the front office knowing about it.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Incorrect. There are others who know what is going on. You don't actually think that Theo and Jed don't consult anyone lower on the totem pole then each other, do you? It isn't one or two guys making these decisions. Did you ever watch Moneyball? There are 10-15 people in on this with Theo and Jed being two of them. There are 8-13 other FO members who could have leaked this info. 

Also, most talent evaluators don't have the labor law knowledge themselves to write the player contracts. They hire lawyers to do that. How do you know that this guy isn't in that branch of the FO? There are probably 45-50 people in that organization who know exactly what is going on and 48 of them aren't Epstein or Hoyer. 

Well I can tell you are wrong here, but I have nothing to gain by saying anything more.

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yeah, I mean at the very least they are talking to their scouting department and cross checkers about players from the Giants or whomever are involved in these talks. Trades don't happen with only 1 or 2 guys in the front office knowing about it.

well Charles the Cat seemingly knows, and unless he's Jed or Theo, then someone has a big mouth

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I’m sure they discuss the players in other organizations with their scouting staff, but that doesn’t mean they share the rest of the potential trade pieces with them, especially it’s vitally important and/or sensitive deals.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Well I can tell you are wrong here, but I have nothing to gain by saying anything more.

Continue to hang on to the hope if you want. Whatever floats your boat man. More power to ya. There is a reason why the entire mood of the board changed when Dan Clark and Rock posted their info on twitter/the board respectively. 

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sure they discuss the players in other organizations with their scouting staff, but that doesn’t mean they share the rest of the potential trade pieces with them, especially it’s vitally important and/or sensitive deals.

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think Theo and Jed are the only ones in the loop for major moves with the team.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Continue to hang on to the hope if you want. Whatever floats your boat man. More power to ya. There is a reason why the entire mood of the board changed when Dan Clark and Rock posted their info on twitter/the board respectively. 

I’m hanging my hope on facts that come from a credible source, you’re jumping into the fire based on random speculation.  I have said all along the Cubs have a strict budget and would need to move significant salary to add Harper.  While I’d be completely shocked if they could pull that off, I’m not going to rule it out completely.  However, based on what I have been told of how the Cubs’ front office operates, I do think it’s incredibly unlikely these details would leak out.  I find it far more likely that these are plants being spread on the Boras side.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m hanging my hope on facts that come from a credible source, you’re jumping into the fire based on random speculation.  I have said all along the Cubs have a strict budget and would need to move significant salary to add Harper.  While I’d be completely shocked if they could pull that off, I’m not going to rule it out completely.  However, based on what I have been told of how the Cubs’ front office operates, I do think it’s incredibly unlikely these details would leak out.  I find it far more likely that these are plants being spread on the Boras side.

If we use your criteria, the only credible source is an official team release announcing a signing. I tend to agree with you about sources, that anything short of a team release is bullshit, unless ALL of the national writers are reporting it and the local beats are confirming it. 

To be honest, nobody knows what to believe and it is mostly confirmation bias. Either everything is credible or nothing is credible. 

The baseball world is really mirroring the economics and politics of the rest of the country right now. There is a lack of trust in the media, as everyone's credibility is under scrutiny and the economic system is only benefiting the best of the best in terms of talent, as well as shareholders. Everyone else is left behind and has to use their brain to sort out the bullshit from reality. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If we use your criteria, the only credible source is an official team release announcing a signing. I tend to agree with you about sources, that anything short of a team release is bullshit, unless ALL of the huge writers are reporting it. 

To be honest, nobody knows what to believe and it is mostly confirmation bias. Either everything is credible or nothing is credible. 

The baseball world is really mirroring the economics and politics or the USA right now. There is a lack of trust in the media and the economic system is only benefiting the best of the best in terms of talent and ownership. Everyone else is left behind and has to sort it out using their brain. 

I think most (not all) leaks have an agenda to them.  There is literally zero benefit for teams to disclose their plans & pursuits.   Sure, sometimes the wetbutt’s of world get legit information, but those are few & far between.  IMO, until the big name insiders leak something is close to happening, it’s best to remain somewhat skeptical but that’s just me.

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think most (not all) leaks have an agenda to them.  There is literally zero benefit for teams to disclose their plans & pursuits.   Sure, sometimes the wetbutt’s of world get legit information, but those are few & far between.  IMO, until the big name insiders leak something is close to happening, it’s best to remain somewhat skeptical but that’s just me.

These are Jack Parkman's tiers of credibility, on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the most credible

10-Nobody

8-9-(mostly factual, with some room for error) National big name sportswriter 

7-(At least has some basis in fact) Bob Nightengale, only because for some reason he has less accuracy than others in the national media

5-6(probably coming from a legit source with an agenda)  local beat writers (Trib, Herald, The Athletic) 

3-4 (more plausible) local bloggers for an online publication such as Sox Machine/SouthSideSox 

1-2 (plausible) people such as the Red Line Radio crew and other Barstool Sports types; posters on message boards with some sort of track record on actually having a source, such as Rock, raBBit, etc. 

Negative 1 Billion-Twitter Randos

Negative 1 Trillion-Reddit Randos

If a twitter rando or a reddit rando actually nails a trade verbatim, that is the equivalent of throwing shit at the wall and it actually stuck. Pure coincidence and luck. 

katyperrysbootyhole got lucky once. I will remind that person that katy perry is a gringo, which means she has no bunghole. Therefore katyperrysbootyhole doesn't actually exist (end b&b joke) 

Also, when national writers and local beats are mostly silent, people tend to put much more weight into tiers 1-4, mostly because they're starved for info, and anything is better than nothing. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Machado to NYY

Harper to LAD or Cubs

Encarnacion and Alonso to Sox (directly/indirectly bailing out the Indians from payroll problems)

Abreu traded

Hahn contract extension 

Maybe we can just buy the Padres, Rays or A’s....that might be the better strategy, then combine the two franchises together.   Contraction makes more sense than expansion.  Pirates would be another viable option.

Edited by caulfield12

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils