Kyyle23

Harper: Nightengale suggests Phillies are favored

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm not sure that such a deal is legal per the collective bargaining agreement.

If it were legal, those are the lengths to which I would go.  Assuming the Sox were the highest bid and still can’t sign a big FA because of lack of desirability to play for us, then FO needs to think outside the box and be willing to do stuff like that if they really care about future of Team. Once you net one big FA, then that perception goes away. 

Alternatively, they better figure out how to develop superstars in house. Something they haven’t been able to do offensively since Frank Thomas (or maybe Magglio if he counts)?

On 12/29/2018 at 9:00 AM, iamshack said:

Cmon, dude. This is more of the same nonsense coming from a lazy Chicago media that knows jack shit about anything. 

It’s possible. She works for them.  But it seemed first hand. 

On 12/29/2018 at 7:09 AM, SoxBlanco said:

I’m still confused by this report from Rock. First he said that Schwarber and Heyward “will be dealt”. Then he said they might not be able to move Heyward. So which is it? Do they have a deal in place, or are they just exploring trade options? Doesn’t sound like anything official to me.

I was just posting what I heard at dinner from a beat reporter. Nothing more. Nothing less. She seemed very confident. 

6 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

It’s possible. She works for them.  But it seemed first hand. 

Didn’t mean to kill the messenger. 

I guess anything is possible.

26 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

I was just posting what I heard at dinner from a beat reporter. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Might want to edit out that last bit. Might be getting to close to people figuring out your source.

57 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Might want to edit out that last bit. Might be getting to close to people figuring out your source.

Kelly Crull

5 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

Jesus is his source?

It's starting to look like divine intervention might be the only way the Sox get one of these players,

33 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's starting to look like divine intervention might be the only way the Sox get one of these players,

"Are you saying Jesus Christ couldn't hit a curveball?"

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Jesus dude

How hard is it to figure out when the subject is the Cubs and he said “she” in his sentence?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

How hard is it to figure out when the subject is the Cubs and he said “she” in his sentence?

Could have been Colleen Kane.

To get back to this rumor I think its obvious  the cubs will sign him if they can move salary.  The problem is moving the salary.  I think the market for Harper is the White Sox and Nats. 

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

To get back to this rumor I think its obvious  the cubs will sign him if they can move salary.  The problem is moving the salary.  I think the market for Harper is the White Sox and Nats. 

Wasn't everybody just saying this about the dodgers.... Then conveniently when it became clear LA wouldn't be signing him, the cubs are rumored to be in the drivers seat. To me it reeks of boras trying to get offers up.

26 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Wasn't everybody just saying this about the dodgers.... Then conveniently when it became clear LA wouldn't be signing him, the cubs are rumored to be in the drivers seat. To me it reeks of boras trying to get offers up.

There really aren’t a lot of rumors connecting the Cubs to Harper though.  You’ve got some Twitter cat and then apparently the Cubs beat reporter on NBCsports has complete knowledge of the Cubs’ offseason plans and is openly sharing them at dinners.  To me, it all seems far-fetched that they’d be able to move enough salary to pull off this type of move and I questing how it actually makes them better.

If the market for Harper is the Sox and the Nats, then that’s good news for us fans. Like Steve Phillips said, the Nats offered him $300M, which their owner said was their final offer and they already spent more than half of that already. 

I dont think moving Heyward would be that difficult for the Cubs. The difficulty comes from how willing the Cubs are willing to move young players with Heyward. If the Cubs were to add in Happ and Contreras, I'm sure there would be a good number of teams that would be all over that.

2 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I dont think moving Heyward would be that difficult for the Cubs. The difficulty comes from how willing the Cubs are willing to move young players with Heyward. If the Cubs were to add in Happ and Contreras, I'm sure there would be a good number of teams that would be all over that.

Why? Happ and Contreras aren't even that good.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There really aren’t a lot of rumors connecting the Cubs to Harper though.  You’ve got some Twitter cat and then apparently the Cubs beat reporter on NBCsports has complete knowledge of the Cubs’ offseason plans and is openly sharing them at dinners.  To me, it all seems far-fetched that they’d be able to move enough salary to pull off this type of move and I questing how it actually makes them better.

With his documented desire to play for the Cubs, it will all depend on what discount he would offer to the Cubs. Similar to the Machado discount for the Yankmees. 

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

With his documented desire to play for the Cubs, it will all depend on what discount he would offer to the Cubs. Similar to the Machado discount for the Yankmees. 

The difference is the Yankees are below the luxury tax right now and can easily afford Machado.  The Cubs can not add Harper right now (even at a discount) without moving substantial money.  And given that he turned down 10/$300M from his former team, I don’t see him taking anything less from the Cubs even if that’s where he’d like to end up.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

22 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Why? Happ and Contreras aren't even that good.

Willson Contreras has a tremendous amount of value. 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Willson Contreras has a tremendous amount of value. 

If he does, it isn't that he's actually good, it is that people perceive him as good. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If he does, it isn't that he's actually good, it is that people perceive him as good. 

Or he’s 26 years old and only been in the league for 3 years, had a down power year along with the rest of his team (who fired their hitting coach that had the same issue in Boston) and plays a premier position in baseball. 

• Haha 1