Kyyle23

Harper: Nightengale suggests Phillies are favored

The pulse on various Phillies message boards is that they will sign Harper, perhaps as early as Saturday, by finally giving out that stupid money. At least that's what someone that they seem to trust said. I suppose that would leave us with Machado

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The pulse on various Phillies message boards is that they will sign Harper, perhaps as early as Saturday, by finally giving out that stupid money. At least that's what someone that they seem to trust said. I suppose that would leave us with Machado

Well they lost out on Corbin, probably out on Machado. Harper? They might pull it off.  But I predict that its going to be a bad contract if they do.

Harper has less than 1% chance signing with the Nationals. I think that meeting and leaking of the $300mm offer was a "favor" to Boras. It was leaked out to help establish a floor... you must go ABOVE $300mm if you want a chance otherwise we have the Nationals. And then once that didn't work, I think they let it be known they were meeting again.... to again establish that if the current teams don't up their offer that he'll just resign w/ the Nats. Based on the luxury tax -- I just don't see that being real. If the Manny Deal truly comes in at under $250mm then I think its realistic that the Harper deal comes in under $300mm. We're in a very weird time in the MLB for free agents. The Miggy Cabrera & Albert Pujols deals never made sense but were necessary, now there's significant pushback. I actually see this as an opportune time to strike. Very opportune.

Assuming the Sox land Machado, I kind of think it would be cool for Harper to go back to the Nats. It would be nice to see another superstar potentially go the length of their career with the same organization. We never get to see that anymore.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Assuming the Sox land Machado, I kind of think it would be cool for Harper to go back to the Nats. It would be nice to see another superstar potentially go the length of their career with the same organization. We never get to see that anymore.

Well just from modern baseball we've got Votto, Kershaw, Mauer, Felix, Pedroia, Braun, Posey, Y. Molina - that's everyone with over 39 rWAR on a single team. Maybe some get dealt in their last year or something like that.

• Thanks 1

In reply to Brian Anderson....
If Harper can be had for under 300 million...We MUST push for both of them if we win Manny. To get both future HOFers for under 600 million combined would nearly set us up for a dynasty IF our prospects hit. I just can't believe offers are really gonna be this low though. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

Looks like the Reddit Harpo signing Saturday rumors were based upon hot air. No doubt there could be a meeting. I bet Scotties sees forums like this and gets all tingly. Certainly they are monitoring social media if not inventing it .

29 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Somehow the Sox sign Harper, get a Silver Slugger type season from him, and still finish 5 games worse than last year in this simulation. Lol that is insanity.

32 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Somehow the Sox sign Harper, get a Silver Slugger type season from him, and still finish 5 games worse than last year in this simulation. Lol that is insanity.

Yea how KC wins 80 some games is astounding.

17 hours ago, pcq said:

Looks like the Reddit Harpo signing Saturday rumors were based upon hot air. No doubt there could be a meeting. I bet Scotties sees forums like this and gets all tingly. Certainly they are monitoring social media if not inventing it .

There DEFINITELY is a Harper/Boras meeting with the Phillies on Saturday.  Unless they sign Machado in the next 12-18 hours, and probably still, even then.

19 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Harper has less than 1% chance signing with the Nationals. I think that meeting and leaking of the $300mm offer was a "favor" to Boras. It was leaked out to help establish a floor... you must go ABOVE $300mm if you want a chance otherwise we have the Nationals. And then once that didn't work, I think they let it be known they were meeting again.... to again establish that if the current teams don't up their offer that he'll just resign w/ the Nats. Based on the luxury tax -- I just don't see that being real. If the Manny Deal truly comes in at under $250mm then I think its realistic that the Harper deal comes in under $300mm. We're in a very weird time in the MLB for free agents. The Miggy Cabrera & Albert Pujols deals never made sense but were necessary, now there's significant pushback. I actually see this as an opportune time to strike. Very opportune.

Good post, Brian.  But, why were the Pujols and Cabrera trades "necessary".

Any Sox connections lately to Harper.....it seems like we’ve cooled off quite a bit on that front or are we solely focused on Machado and that’s it?

4 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Any Sox connections lately to Harper.....it seems like we’ve cooled off quite a bit on that front or are we solely focused on Machado and that’s it?

I'm just assuming, since it is already mid-January, that they have offers out to both at this point hoping one accepts. 

Necessary because of what the free market dictated. I think baseball is fully in the "information age". There are more stats than ever that are driving contracts. Before you had more of the Hawk Harrelson eye test going on, but I think that's over. I mean, if we sign Harper or Machado to 8+ years I think it's very likely we don't get our full value on the guys either.

If Philly gets Harper, there's nothing we (sox) could have done and I'm OK with that. 

If other teams get Harper, I'll be pretty pissed off since we (sox) have much more financial flexibility than the others outside of Philly. 

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

If Philly gets Harper, there's nothing we (sox) could have done and I'm OK with that. 

If other teams get Harper, I'll be pretty pissed off since we (sox) have much more financial flexibility than the others outside of Philly. 

Pretty obvious the Sox focus in on MM, which it should be - he is the far better long term fit.  

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pretty obvious the Sox focus in on MM, which it should be - he is the far better long term fit.  

I want both and I consider the Phillies as the only team in our way. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

I want both and I consider the Phillies as the only team in our way. 

I want both as well, but MM is happening first.  And I think the chances of the Sox landing both is microscopically low at this point - I don't think Harper is interested in the Sox at all.  There has been virtually no Sox/Harper connections since the Winter Meetings. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I want both as well, but MM is happening first.  And I think the chances of the Sox landing both is microscopically low at this point - I don't think Harper is interested in the Sox at all.  There has been virtually no Sox/Harper connections since the Winter Meetings. 

Silence is normally how the Sox operate.