Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 hour ago, Fan O'Faust said:

So after all of the hoopla around fancy presentations and special trips made by Jim Thome, the Sox are just out of this thing, without having made a formal offer?  I'm not sure I believe this.  I don't think the Sox have played their final card on this one, not after all of this time and effort.  

Well, they could be out because the Phillies have offered a deal that the Sox would never considering matching, not because they no longer want him.

2 hours ago, beckham15 said:

I don’t think you will hear much on the Whitesox pursuit of him until we figure out where Manny goes, if it’s to philly I think we hop right back in bed with Boras and Harper

Exactly. I agree with this 100 percent. Just so you know, greg remains in the corner that we ARE getting Manny. Guys, relax ... think about it. Our front office is not going to get outbid, No. 1. As far as No. 2, how many teams are going to assure TWO of his best friends forever (Alonso, Jay) 500 at bats apiece to help make sure Manny is comfortable? I live in a world of logic and logical signs are pointing to the South Side for Manny (enuf money? check; awesome city? check; comfort as in being surrounded by buds? check). ... In a perfect world, he gets an 8 year deal only and there is an opt out after four. We need him for our WS window, after that let him go elsewhere if he wishes. GO SOX! Eight years 240 million and team/player opt out after 4. Pray like heck he stays healthy and keeps his edge as a zillionaire.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 3

Just now, BlackSox13 said:

I like your upbeat outlook Greg, well done.

Thank you sir. I feel strongly about this one. There is the one "concern" that the Yankees are never to be taken lightly (yankees get who Yankees want) but it just doesn't seem like there's smoke regarding the Bronx Bombers. It seems like Manny is future property of the White Sox. And I feel it's pretty obvious Harper will go to Phils with a very very slight possibility of staying put in Wash (see comment on Yankees).

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Thank you sir. I feel strongly about this one. There is the one "concern" that the Yankees are never to be taken lightly (yankees get who Yankees want) but it just doesn't seem like there's smoke regarding the Bronx Bombers. It seems like Manny is future property of the White Sox. And I feel it's pretty obvious Harper will go to Phils with a very very slight possibility of staying put in Wash (see comment on Yankees).

I hear you. I'm invigorated by the front office still being in the mix with a sizable offer on the table and seemingly willing to go higher. I didn't think the Sox had a snowballs chance in hell but the FO has changed that.

1 hour ago, BlackSox13 said:

I hear you. I'm invigorated by the front office still being in the mix with a sizable offer on the table and seemingly willing to go higher. I didn't think the Sox had a snowballs chance in hell but the FO has changed that.

Yup. I definitely dont see how anybody can blame the FO if the Sox lose out on both. Harper was a total long shot to begin with. Manny? If the Sox don't get him, then his agent had some weird plan in place for negotiations. Sox have done everything to get him. Sign his relative and pal and $$$$ will be as much as anybody else. No way they will take the PR hit of not offering as much as the other teams.

• Love 1

54 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Yup. I definitely dont see how anybody can blame the FO if the Sox lose out on both. Harper was a total long shot to begin with. Manny? If the Sox don't get him, then his agent had some weird plan in place for negotiations. Sox have done everything to get him. Sign his relative and pal and $$$$ will be as much as anybody else. No way they will take the PR hit of not offering as much as the other teams.

Agree 100% Greg. They said they would spend for the right players and here they doing their best to sign one of them. Curious about who else they have their sites on. Would have to think a starting pitcher.

• Like 1

I know people have strong opionions about Incarcerated Bob. I have no idea who the guy is other than having heard his name on the radio before and that he has 122K followers, including me right now in case he has any scoops.

Well anyway, he just randomly tweeted these things....

Bryce Harper time

It’s almost time @Bharper3407

The second one includes a gif of Rick Flair yelling. 

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

5 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I know people have strong opionions about Incarcerated Bob. I have no idea who the guy is other than having heard his name on the radio before and that he has 122K followers, including me right now in case he has any scoops.

Bryce Harper time

Basically he tweets out a ton of rumors/signings based on popular predictions, about 33% of them end up being correct just because they're educated guesses, and people who don't know much about him remember the ones that he was right about and then assume he has legit sources because of it. 

Edited by Jose Abreu

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/02/rumors-swirl-bryce-harpers-market-remains-far-blurrier-than-manny-machados/?utm_term=.52b317eaecbc

Interesting article from a couple of weeks ago about the Nationals' position on Harper, seems there is a LOT more smoke here than previously thought, and the amount of contacts between the two camps is well-beyond anyone else who has met with Boras/Harper from the winter meetings onward.  Basically, when you have an owner who has that direct connection with Ted Lerner, anything is possible.

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2019/1/15/18184204/report-phillies-will-not-be-signing-both-manny-machado-and-bryce-harper

Thought this was a pretty decent reading of the overall situation, other than the "woeful White Sox line."  Obviously, Phillies' writers are willing to run with the "only willing to go up to seven years" info and not the Gomez/Passan information.

This sounds like a "plant" story, "leaked" to Gelb. He has pretty good credibility, but there is more plausible deniability than if they leaked it to Salisbury.

This fits the pattern….they want Machado, but are now publicly "in" on Harper (even if no actual offer has been given) in order to put the pressure on Machado’s camp. Plus, not only are they in on Harper, they now "let slip" that they are only going to sign one of the whales.

Given that Machado’s market is shrinking, with the only apparent real offer coming from the woeful Chisox, and that offer only for 7 years, with NYY deliberately signing other players to make Machado feel unwelcome, this report sounds like Middleton/Klentak are putting the squeeze on Machado pretty hard.

And honestly, if I am right about this, it’s a pretty neat negotiating strategy, I heartily approve. Of course, that’s why Machado’s camp has to keep inventing "mystery teams" to balance out the negotiations.

OTOH, with regard to what Gelb is specifically saying, no way to if this is actually a fact.

Edited by caulfield12

38 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Bryce Harper time

To add to this... he's tweeted more...

-- He retweeted a Philly writer who tweeted a mock line-up with Harper in it.
-- He tweeted "It's down to two teams" with a gif of Harper doing "Shhhh" sign.
-- He retweeted Jesse Rogers' quote from Maddon saying Harper is "not going to happen"
-- He tweeted "It's on now #BryceSweepstakes" with Kevin Hart gif of "It's about to go down"
-- He tweeted to someone who asked if they need to stay up tonight he said "Go to sleep. Rest up for tomorrow."

So that's something to maybe monitor tomorrow. Interestingly, he liked a tweet earlier today where someone said the Yankees are lying in the weeds on Harper, and then he also retweeted a Ken Davidoff article from earlier today that said Harper and Yankees were a perfect match. I would be shocked if he's referring to the Yankees, and those two Yankees related things he liked/retweeted were from earlier today. The 7 things above were all just now.

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

And then whoever this guy is (1500+ followers) tweeted this minutes after Bob's tweet barrage. He's followed by both Bob and AG Sports Network....

You have to wonder if Boras has fed him that information, trying to get the White Sox to bite and up their offer. I can't think of anyone else that would benefit from this being tweeted.

Not buying it that Boras would have any connection to this dude.  This guy’s not even a baseball writer.   Just more speculation.  Move on, nothing to see here.  He does have a scoop that Harper unfollowed a Rendon and two Caps players, I guess.

Lead #Flyers Writer & #Eagles Part-Timer for ~ #NeumannKnights BS & MA "Don't Blame The Messenger" bsommermann2012@gmail.com
Delaware, USA
Joined October 2011

So Bryce Harper has now unfollowed

, &

today. Uhm.... I wonder what is going on? Hey,

, do you want to tell the people something? We are waiting... #Phillies #BeBold #HarperWatch

Edited by caulfield12

36 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not buying it that Boras would have any connection to this dude.  This guy’s not even a baseball writer.   Just more speculation.  Move on, nothing to see here.  He does have a scoop that Harper unfollowed a Rendon and two Caps players, I guess.

Lead #Flyers Writer & #Eagles Part-Timer for ~ #NeumannKnights BS & MA "Don't Blame The Messenger" bsommermann2012@gmail.com
Delaware, USA
Joined October 2011

So Bryce Harper has now unfollowed

, &

today. Uhm.... I wonder what is going on? Hey,

, do you want to tell the people something? We are waiting... #Phillies #BeBold #HarperWatch

You're right but there is the outside chance it may be something sneaky. Leak it to him, then to one of the insiders, crediting the source, in the hope we bite.

As for his other scoop, the guy is good at social media...... It's like saying that Bruce Levine is old.

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils