Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 hour ago, heirdog said:

Sorry NotHahn but you are NotRight.  WhiteSox are more likely to sign Gio or Keuchel than Harper.  I think they will sign one of them in the next week.

Sox valued Manny more than Harper and they wouldn’t go higher that $250 million.  They have no shot at Bryce.

Gio will likely sign a one year deal.  I could see Keuchel getting a 3, maybe 4 year deal.

Neither guy makes much sense for the Sox now.  Only if they would have added Machado or Harper.

2 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Gio will likely sign a one year deal.  I could see Keuchel getting a 3, maybe 4 year deal.

Neither guy makes much sense for the Sox now.  Only if they would have added Machado or Harper.

The Sox need one more starter.  I agree that a 3-4 year deal for Keichel makes no sense, but a one year deal for Gio would be okay depending on how much.

8 hours ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Shack, it's over. I saw a report from a reputable journalist (can't remember who but it wasn't one of the hacks) that said the white sox won't sign machado if he touches the bottom of harper's market..which turned out to be true. I'm sure "trying" means that they offered the same deal to harper as a hail marry

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106772-machado-signs-with-padres-10300/&do=findComment&comment=3737270

8 hours ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Shack, it's over. I saw a report from a reputable journalist (can't remember who but it wasn't one of the hacks) that said the white sox won't sign machado if he touches the bottom of harper's market..which turned out to be true. I'm sure "trying" means that they offered the same deal to harper as a hail marry

And furthermore, http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106772-machado-signs-with-padres-10300/&do=findComment&comment=3729678

I just heard the The Score sports update that the Nationals aren’t willing to offer Harper the same contract that Machado just signed now.  They also repeated the Nightengale story that the Sox are out on Harper.

I also heard the Giants were interested in Harper but only on a short term deal.

Whiffing on Machado was bad enough but it would be inexcusable for the Sox to sit this one out when there is one team in the Phillies that are willing to spend on Harper.

Edited by Harper2Sox

4 minutes ago, iamshack said:

No argument there. 

I mean, if you're arguing that the Sox would not be in on Manny if it reached the bottom of Harpers range, don't you have an argument that they didn't misplay their hand and simply followed their framework? I guess you could say they misplayed their hand for Manny, but I don't know if there was a way to lock him up earlier for anything under what the Padres eventually gave to him. 

If you're suggesting that Sox will be in on Bryce because they have a higher valuation of him than what Manny got, that's fine. Stick to your guns. In that situation, it doesn't appear the totality of the offseason hand has been completely misplayed yet. I want to believe that this FO isn't completely inept... 🤣

4 hours ago, heirdog said:

Sorry NotHahn but you are NotRight.  WhiteSox are more likely to sign Gio or Keuchel than Harper.  I think they will sign one of them in the next week.

Sox valued Manny more than Harper and they wouldn’t go higher that $250 million.  They have no shot at Bryce.

That's just what I was told. Like I said, I dont think its very likely. 

7 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I mean, if you're arguing that the Sox would not be in on Manny if it reached the bottom of Harpers range, don't you have an argument that they didn't misplay their hand and simply followed their framework? I guess you could say they misplayed their hand for Manny, but I don't know if there was a way to lock him up earlier for anything under what the Padres eventually gave to him. 

If you're suggesting that Sox will be in on Bryce because they have a higher valuation of him than what Manny got, that's fine. Stick to your guns. In that situation, it doesn't appear the totality of the offseason hand has been completely misplayed yet. I want to believe that this FO isn't completely inept... 🤣

It’s not always as simple. They have their own valuations of each, but you never know what other actors may do. So sometimes, it’s one of those one bird in hand situations. They really thought they were going to get Machado. As I said earlier, i’m not sure if they would have increased again they would have been able to still land Bryce. And ultimately they may have been willing to gamble on not raising because they saw what was happening with Bryce. I don’t know for certain. 

2 minutes ago, iamshack said:

It’s not always as simple. They have their own valuations of each, but you never know what other actors may do. So sometimes, it’s one of those one bird in hand situations. They really thought they were going to get Machado. As I said earlier, i’m not sure if they would have increased again they would have been able to still land Bryce. And ultimately they may have been willing to gamble on not raising because they saw what was happening with Bryce. I don’t know for certain. 

Appreciate the comments. I'll be telling Anders to give you a raise the next time I see him. 😂

4 minutes ago, iamshack said:

What premiere FA in 2019-20 will be anything close to “fairly valued,” and I say that meaning anyone heading for a $75+ million contract...?

One thing worth mentioning.  0ne thing we have all seen is that there is a small army of insiders who live to repeat whatever they are told from inside the White Sox. If the Sox said they were out, it would be repeated,  even if it weren't really true.

That said, overwhelming odds are on the Phillies. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

One thing worth mentioning.  0ne thing we have all seen is that there is a small army of insiders who live to repeat whatever they are told from inside the White Sox. If the Sox said they were out, it would be repeated,  even if it weren't really true.

That said, overwhelming odds are on the Phillies. 

It’s funny how one big signing could completely turn around the fan approval rating for the front office and ownership.

But it won’t be pretty for Hahn, Kenny, and JR, once Harper signs with the Phillies.

Edited by Harper2Sox

Regardless of what Hahn might say, it seems very implausible that they would not attempt to sign their other major targeted acquisition. The market seems to be favoring the buyers and with the Phillies now being about the only other team in the Harper sweepstakes, why wouldn't they? I can't imagine that they anticipated such a lack of suitors and if they originally were determined to try to get both, what justification would they now have for passing on the one remaining? It just wouldn't make any sense. That said, as patient as I have been, I too will lose all confidence in this organization if they do not make a concerted effort to sign Harper. If they had never espoused an interest in these two young free agents, I could accept that, but after all of that bluster and bravado, it would just be completely inexcusable. 

Fortunately, that very odd rationale, which Hahn provided, regarding no longer being in on the Harper negotiations, because they don't want to drive up the cost for the Phillies, suggests to me that he was not being forthright. The only way I can explain that comment is to attribute it to an attempt to conceal their true intentions. Otherwise, it would have to be considered one of the dumbest comments that Hahn has ever made. Why in the world would they want the Phillies to get Harper, at a better price? And finally, as we all know, delivering on Harper is now more important for retaining the fan base, than it was when all of this started. 

At this point, what Hahn, the twitter posters, or any of us care to postulate, or speculate, is less meaningful than the simple logic. One can only imagine how much pressure there is to get a deal done for Harper. Wouldn't you love to be privy to the internal communications of this front office? It's probably more interesting now, than it has been, at any point in the off season. It probably looks more like a war room, assessing damage control, after a major attack.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Regardless of what Hahn might say, it seems very implausible that they would not attempt to sign their other major targeted acquisition. The market seems to be favoring the buyers and with the Phillies now being about the only other team in the Harper sweepstakes, why wouldn't they? I can't imagine that they anticipated such a lack of suitors and if they originally were determined to try to get both, what justification would they now have for passing on the one remaining? It just wouldn't make any sense. That said, as patient as I have been, I too will lose all confidence in this organization if they do not make a concerted effort to sign Harper. If they had never espoused an interest in these two young free agents, I could accept that, but after all of that bluster and bravado, it would just be completely inexcusable. 

Fortunately, that very odd rationale, which Hahn provided, regarding no longer being in on the Harper negotiations, because they don't want to drive up the cost for the Phillies, suggests to me that he was not being forthright. The only way I can explain that comment is to attribute it to an attempt to conceal their true intentions. Otherwise, it would have to be considered one of the dumbest comments that Hahn has ever made. Why in the world would they want the Phillies to get Harper, at a better price? And finally, as we all know, delivering on Harper is now more important for retaining the fan base, than it was when all of this started. 

At this point, what Hahn, the twitter posters, or any of us care to postulate, or speculate, is less meaningful than the simple logic. One can only imagine how much pressure there is to get a deal done for Harper. Wouldn't you love to be privy to the internal communications of this front office? It's probably more interesting now, than it has been, at any point in the off season. It probably looks more like a war room, assessing damage control, after a major attack.

Lillian,

Your posts have been A+ on this topic.

• Like 1

Crazy part is they could have really benefitted from the lightning  signing Machado/Harper would have brought in terms of turning some casuals from Cubs to Sox. Cubs had a dismal offseason and plenty of those casual Cubs "fans" would have been at the Swellopt Rate had they signed 1, ESPECIALLY both. But like always, this franchise stumbles and fails.

Edited by TheTruth05
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

It’s funny how one big signing could completely turn around the fan approval rating for the front office and ownership.

But it won’t be pretty for Hahn, Kenny, and JR, once Harper signs with the Phillies.

We waited 3 years for this moment. This WAS the big moment to prove to fans they were serious. They blew it by being the same old incompetent Sox. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1