Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

36 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Which makes the whole thing even more confusing.

The plate appearance thing they were trying to do could mean only one of two things -- either they were concerned about Manny potentially missing a lot of time later in his career with injuries (a legitimate concern, but something covered by that insurance policy), or they had every intention of manipulating those plate appearance with a platoon partner or otherwise if Manny was under performing (in which case, yeah, no wonder no one wants to play for you).

I am almost certain is was to manipulate them. Why else would those last two years be at a higher AAV than the rest of the contract? To me the only answer is because they had no intent on actually paying them.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Perfect Vision said:

The Padres got around the tax issue by making $20 mil of the first year's 30 a signing bonus (so not taxable in California), and reduced the risk of the contract by buying an insurance policy on it.  Now that's creativity.  Not whatever Hahn and company were trying to do with plate appearances in year 9.

No reason that the Sox couldn't follow that blueprint and take out an insurance policy on Harper's contract, which could ease their minds about those last couple years.  From the Machado offer, it definitely seems like it's the 10 years that's the problem, not the AAV.

The Sox have some intriguing outfield prospects.  I've enjoyed following their time in the minors so far.  But to pass on Harper because you have Adolfo, Gonzalez, Rutherford, Basabe, and Walker is crazy talk.  One of those guys might become a decent regular some day, but none will become even half the player that Harper is.  Get Harper, continue to let those guys develop, then trade from that surplus to address an area of need.

Still not understanding how you think they got around the tax issue when over half of the remaining $280M will be taxed at California’s 13% rate.

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

No one here really thinks that, though. Maybe a couple hopefuls is all. 

I plead guilty. I actually predicted it. Call me naive and foolish. I just can't accept that this organization is really that dishonest, inept and obtuse. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

No.

Why not? 

Why can't we talk about if Rodon, Lopez and Moncada are going to take that next step? Why can't we talk about Cease and Dunning? Why can't we talk about Eloy and Robert? Why can't we talk about whether or not Giolito is ever going to figure it out? Those are all more constructive discussions than the pipedream of Harper. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Well, time to accept.

Almost. As soon as Harper signs elsewhere and if we learn that the Sox didn't make a reasonable offer, I will believe that ownership and the front office are indeed dishonest, inept and obtuse. The burden of proof is on them, but they still have a chance to redeem themselves. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Almost. As soon as Harper signs elsewhere and if we learn that the Sox didn't make a reasonable offer, I will believe that ownership and the front office are indeed dishonest, inept and obtuse. The burden of proof is on them, but they still have a chance to redeem themselves. 

Like a .0000001%, sure.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will say that I am mildly surprised that the Harper rumors have been dead silent.  I figured once Machado agreed Harper would fall in quickly. Here we are 3 days later and there isn't even a rumor of anything. 

Guessing hes looking for a substantially larger offer, 340-350+

Its befuddling the Sox quickly threw in the towel on Harper unless the whale-hunting exercise was a head fake to begin with. As we sit here today, there doesn't appear to be an obvious destination for Harper and its not written in the bible that he's going to get 10 years at $30mm plus. This situation appears ripe for some stealth gamesmanship but we are tucking our tails and surrendering. What gives? 

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Its befuddling the Sox quickly threw in the towel on Harper unless the whale-hunting exercise was a head fake to begin with. As we sit here today, there doesn't appear to be an obvious destination for Harper and its not written in the bible that he's going to get 10 years at $30mm plus. This situation appears ripe for some stealth gamesmanship but we are tucking our tails and surrendering. What gives? 

And that’s what gives some of us hope

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will say that I am mildly surprised that the Harper rumors have been dead silent.  I figured once Machado agreed Harper would fall in quickly. Here we are 3 days later and there isn't even a rumor of anything. 

And this is a good thing. 

24 minutes ago, Flash said:

Still has to the the Phillies.  Their ownership group can’t possibly be THAT obtuse.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Still has to the the Phillies.  Their ownership group can’t possibly be THAT obtuse.

The Phillies' interest is not in question. However, at what price and whether, or not, there is a mutual interest on Harper's side, is quite another issue.

• Like 1

I don’t understand the Sox not going balls out for Harper. If they are now saving their money for next year, there will be issues.First, some of the historic big spenders will be back in, Secomd, some of the attractive names will not be so attractive a year from now or available. If you areArenado or Rendon, you are playing in a place you like with a team that wants to keep you, and who is trying to win. Harpers and Machado’s performances could make a big difference in your market. If they flourish and their new team flourishes, the cost for these two probably goes up assuming they have typical seasons. If Harper and Machado or their teams struggle, they may think, hey I will sign the extension while it is available. I will make a lot of money, and be in a place I really like. Another issue, is if the Sox don’t want to guarantee Harpchqdos age 35 and 36 seasons, how are they going to be able to get around that with a player a couple years older. Finally, if they did go after a 3B, what does that say about Moncada? He would then move to perhaps his 3rd position in 3 seasons. Hardly the easiest path to success in the big leagues.

• Like 1