Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

And Bruce Levine is going all in on the Sox being cheap, it appears

Doesn’t Levine just regurgitate what the other national reporters say though? History shows the Sox are cheap so it’s not far fetched to be true I just take everything that guy says with a grain of salt

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

I have a hard time buying this. The Sox have made their intention known they want one of Harper and Machado. KW and Hahn have even seemed confident in getting one of them. They know they would have no shot at getting one of them being cheap. In fact, the opposite is true. They know that, because of their lack of on-field success, they need to offer the most or near the most. 

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

Doesn’t Levine just regurgitate what the other national reporters say though? History shows the Sox are cheap so it’s not far fetched to be true I just take everything that guy says with a grain of salt

What is keeping me optimistic is that the floor seems to be $300 million.  Not sure on terms, years, buy outs, but the Sox would not even be getting meetings if it were not at least that amount which would break MLB records and be a major Sox record.  I'm still pessimistic, but something about these reports does not add up to me. 

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

I have a hard time buying this. The Sox have made their intention known they want one of Harper and Machado. KW and Hahn have even seemed confident in getting one of them. They know they would have no shot at getting one of them being cheap. In fact, the opposite is true. They know that, because of their lack of on-field success, they need to offer the most or near the most. 

And Buster basically implied yesterday that the reporters pumping up the Sox interest in a huge deal is because they work for MLB

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

And Buster basically implied yesterday that the reporters pumping up the Sox interest in a huge deal is because they work for MLB

I saw that tweet this morning. I didn't quite get it.

When else have the Sox come up this much with the national guys? What do they gain by pumping up the Sox chances?

Especially when they bring up the Sox and reporters basically scoff at them in the running. If the Red Sox/Cubs were heavily in on Harper ESPN would be wall to wall with it what would Buster be doing then?

• Like 2

Just now, Mr. Showtime said:

I saw that tweet this morning. I didn't quite get it.

When else have the Sox come up this much with the national guys? What do they gain by pumping up the Sox chances?

Especially when they bring up the Sox and reporters basically scoff at them in the running. If the Red Sox/Cubs were heavily in on Harper ESPN would be wall to wall with it what would Buster be doing then?

Sox have the payroll space to make them a “contender”, which makes them the perfect team to float out in rumors to try and help a player’s market. Not only that, but they are generally very vague in their responses regarding specific players and their interest in them.

10 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Counter point: ESPN's baseball coverage is trash since they let so many go

Adding to this: It's in ESPN's interest to drum up Cubs, Yankees, Dodgers because half the teams in MLB aren't as marketable for ESPN. 

Ex. They make the Sox stop existing to boost the Cubs.

38 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Counter point: ESPN's baseball coverage is trash since they let so many go

Who even watches ESPN anymore? I have been a Sox fan since '91 and will be until my last breath. I personally believe the Sox are in the mix for both players, with a dream to sign both. Will they? I don't know. If they sign both, or none of them, I am personally enjoying all of the excitement around the team this offseason. They have a direction for once, either it all comes together or doesn't. I have been so sick of being okay or good but never good enough. Swing for the fences boys, and if you miss try again next year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the Sox were honestly being cheap, then they would be out of this and everyone would know that for a fact.  None of the wooing and flying in and meetings and bullshit would be happening because Boras wouldn't let them waste his time if they were trying to lowball him.   Wasn't Olney the one that said something like Harper is signing with Philly, it is already done?

10 hours ago, fathom said:

I saw on twitter that Levine said something like "He's right" in response to Olney's article.
That makes me think that it's possible that Levine is Olney's "source", which probably means no source at all.

26 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

What happened to the guy who got the Justin Bour signing right and then said the Dodgers were getting Harper?

he hasn't posted since he made the claim. The only professional acknowledgement of the dodger rumor is from @Chris_Camello

considering the dodgers don't seem in a hurry to shed salary I'd personally consider phillies/sox as the current favs depending on what happens with machado this week. If i was the dodgers and Harper was a lock to come I would've dumped puig/kemp in the same day. Harper definitely doesnt want manny signing before him.

Not sure if this was posted or not. Prob bs but found it doing the daily twitter search for Harper rumors.

https://mobile.twitter.com/unaballer100/status/1074153785008758785

Alot of others saying Bryce to LAD which has been discussed throughly. And some saying he was at STL airport yesterday. Plus someone posted that Kenye Twitted Bryce called he’s going to the Dodgers. 

12 minutes ago, Frank_Thomas said:

Not sure if this was posted or not. Prob bs but found it doing the daily twitter search for Harper rumors.

https://mobile.twitter.com/unaballer100/status/1074153785008758785

Alot of others saying Bryce to LAD which has been discussed throughly. And some saying he was at STL airport yesterday. Plus someone posted that Kenye Twitted Bryce called he’s going to the Dodgers. 

Kanye West?  I thought Magic Johnson was the one they were putting out as the public "recruiter" on this one?

Edited by caulfield12

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils