Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

18 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

NESN via USA Today on Above:

It’s worth noting that Russell originally reported that Harper would announce his decision Friday, so his report obviously needs to be taken with a grain of salt. He also said that ironing out contract details likely is the reason for the holdup.

So, where will Harper end up?

“I don’t think it’s going to be the Nationals. I think it’s going to be the San Francisco Giants. But, that is not, that is not — by any means — a, like, I know that for a fact. So, I want to caution everybody because I know how this works.”

Round and round we go.

What does the Fortune Teller say?

https://nesn.com/2019/02/bryce-harper-rumors-star-free-agent-finally-has-made-his-decision/

If $ and years are very similar, why would Harper pick Giants overt Sox. Because he wants to stay in NL?

4 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Am I the only one that thinks Harper has been our target all along and we're "playing the game"?  Hahn can get so under the radar.  Maybe more wishful thinking.  I don't care as much as to which one but would prefer Bryce for marketing reasons.

Not with the Jay and Alonso moves. You don't spend $13 million and help out your division rival to stay under the radar. Jay in particular is a rotten fit alongside Harper since Harper and Eloy are both pretty weak defenders, Jay in CF in that arrangement creates a terrible defensive OF.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Not with the Jay and Alonso moves. You don't spend $13 million and help out your division rival to stay under the radar. Jay in particular is a rotten fit alongside Harper since Harper and Eloy are both pretty weak defenders, Jay in CF in that arrangement creates a terrible defensive OF.

Deflection!  They've turned me all conspiracy theory!

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The irony is that Bowden tweet is probably the most substantial thing said by an insider yet and no one is talking about it. 

Bowden says this is pretty close to done. Yet... a bunch of random Twitter dorks stir up more discussion with their fake takes.

Time for our White Sox to step up and get it done! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The irony is that Bowden tweet is probably the most substantial thing said by an insider yet and no one is talking about it. 

Bowden says this is pretty close to done. Yet... a bunch of random Twitter dorks stir up more discussion with their fake takes.

I think part of it is that we all basically know that these reporters are leaked things for specific reasons, so you kind of have to think about why its being reported more than what is being reported. With the no-name "sources" we all know they want attention, but they are also probably more likely to leak something true without an agent agenda than a big national reporter.

• Like 1

Just now, Saufley said:

Time for our White Sox to step up and get it done! 

I have said from day 1 that Harper wasnt the target and never made sense. Sox were kicking the tires but it never made sense.

They wanted to trade for manny. Had discussed interest in machado for two+ years. He was their clear and obvious target but if something crazy happened they wanted to be in on Harper at least.

This is all coming together like last offseason  it was clear and obvious that jd was going to Boston but fake stories popped up over and over. Sox were Machado's clear destination but it didnt mean dollars weren't gonna be milked by Lozano. Looks like this is wrapped up by Monday, finally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

I think part of it is that we all basically know that these reporters are leaked things for specific reasons, so you kind of have to think about why its being reported more than what is being reported. With the no-name "sources" we all know they want attention, but they are also probably more likely to leak something true without an agent agenda than a big national reporter.

Bowden isnt in bed with the agents. I believe Bowden's connection is in the front office - likely the Phillies. Bowden I believe because of his connections with front office people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Bowden isnt in bed with the agents. I believe Bowden's connection is in the front office - likely the Phillies. Bowden I believe because of his connections with front office people.

But why would the Phillies want it known that they are close to a deal? That is just asking for another team to come in and up their offer. If you really are close you are going to try to keep it as quiet as possible. Having someone in your front office leak it to a national reporter isn't keeping it quiet.

3 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

But why would the Phillies want it known that they are close to a deal? That is just asking for another team to come in and up their offer. If you really are close you are going to try to keep it as quiet as possible. Having someone in your front office leak it to a national reporter isn't keeping it quiet.

Pal, this isn't how it works. 

The Phillies have had the best offer for some time now I'd imagine. Other teams havent been willing to beat it. They're not suddenly gonna be like oh shit... now hes gonna sign so we might as well offer more than we planned on offering.

This is how things leak... someone formidable says it's getting close, and then bang... final.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ralph has broken very little during his time as a writer yet has often run with other people’s reporting and passed it off as his own. 

Yes but given his past GM local, it would make sense that he would have connections in philly. I believe Bowden here. He has zero reason to lie.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes but given his past GM local, it would make sense that he would have connections in philly. I believe Bowden here. He has zero reason to lie.

Rarely do these guys lie. It would hurt their reputation.  However, their source could be using them to leak information to their advantage during negotiations. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils