Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

https://theathletic.com/719317/2018/12/18/who-will-age-better-bryce-harper-or-manny-machado/

The board has said Manny was better to age due to defense, I always meant to sit down a counter and am glad I didn’t because while my overall argument would have been right my talking points would have been wrong.

Here is Eno Sarris on how they may have advantages as they age.

https://theathletic.com/719317/2018/12/18/who-will-age-better-bryce-harper-or-manny-machado/

If Harper is truly waiting for LAD/CHC to move pieces and offer him better contracts then he's taking a huge risk. There's probably a decent chance that Machado signs with us soon, as in before the holidays, leaving Harper stuck with the Phillies who then get all the negotiating leverage in the world. 

In other words, while Harper is holding out to make sure he gets the most money, he may simultaneously be screwing himself over by ridding himself of his top suitor (in terms of money)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

If Harper is truly waiting for LAD/CHC to move pieces and offer him better contracts then he's taking a huge risk. There's probably a decent chance that Machado signs with us soon, as in before the holidays, leaving Harper stuck with the Phillies who then get all the negotiating leverage in the world. 

In other words, while Harper is holding out to make sure he gets the most money, he may simultaneously be screwing himself over by ridding himself of his top suitor (in terms of money)

If the Sox truly want both guys, money wont be an issue. The Sox could still potentially offer him the $40m even if they end up spending $35m on Manny. He knows the money is going to be there regardless.

Edited by Sockin

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

FWIW, the facebook insider who peavy has quoted said that harper is waiting on an answer from the Cubs

And FWIW, Tom Loxas retweeted someone today who predicted that Harper would eventually sign with the Cubs.  Loxas has had good sources in the past and was pessimistic about their chances until the last week.

2 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

FWIW, the facebook insider who peavy has quoted said that harper is waiting on an answer from the Cubs

Well, according to that guy if he waits to long Sony will drop him from The Show cover.

So my guess is...that guy is making up stuff

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

And FWIW, Tom Loxas retweeted someone today who predicted that Harper would eventually sign with the Cubs.  Loxas has had good sources in the past and was pessimistic about their chances until the last week.

He also tweeted today that they aren’t seriously in until the move some major cash. He said Cubs are Bryce’s preference, which we’ve always figured.

Just now, fathom said:

Baez is supposed to be their SS, and they're rumored to be after Tulo

Yeah I didn't know if they had planned on moving Baez back to second when Russell came back. Tulo makes sense because of the league minimum.

Edited by Sockin

Im just not sure how the Cubs can move contracts to make it work.

Who is going to take $20mil Heyward when they have a shot at Harper?

If they wanted Harper they wouldn't have signed Hamels. Their salary situation is all fucked because of Darvish and Heyward. Bryant, Baez, Hendricks are all going to hit FA while those are on the books. 

Until i see something happen first, i dont see how Harper makes any sense for the cubs.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Im just not sure how the Cubs can move contracts to make it work.

Who is going to take $20mil Heyward when they have a shot at Harper?

If they wanted Harper they wouldn't have signed Hamels. Their salary situation is all fucked because of Darvish and Heyward. Bryant, Baez, Hendricks are all going to hit FA while those are on the books. 

Until i see something happen first, i dont see how Harper makes any sense for the cubs.

But don't you think that if they wanted Harper, they wouldn't have signed Hamels if the knew it would take them out of the running?  I think they'll keep Heyward and move Zobrist and Chatwood (including Happ and prospects).  They still need to spend some money on relief pitching, as I've thought all along that Andrew Miller is a perfect fit for them.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

But don't you think that if they wanted Harper, they wouldn't have signed Hamels if the knew it would take them out of the running?  I think they'll keep Heyward and move Zobrist and Chatwood (including Happ and prospects).  They still need to spend some money on relief pitching, as I've thought all along that Andrew Miller is a perfect fit for them.

Hamels is a huge risk at that price. If you thought Harper was realistic you could have saved the $20mil and traded for a cheaper replacement if necessary.

Plus the bigger problem is a few years down the road. Without Harper they likely have trouble keeping all their guys, with Harper its even more painful.

I don't think Harper is a winning move for the Cubs. Its their money, but theoretically Harper replaces Schwarber their 4th best offensive player.  It likely precludes them from getting pitching help.

Now they are relying on 2 34+ pitchers with no real way to upgrade.

Again not my money but hard to think sinking $50 mil in heyward/harper is the path to sustainable success.

Edited by Soxbadger

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Harper waiting for the Cubs to make an offer sounds more like wishful thinking. I think Harper overestimated the market and Boras is playing the waiting game sp that some teams clear spme salary.

This. He’s just waiting for Manny to sign to see whether he goes to the Dodgers,Sox,Phillies aka who ever offers the most money and more than Machado received 

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils