Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

The Cubs can't trade Russell now, and that leaves them with Almora/Schwarber/Happ that have various degrees of value.  Another factor is they will eventually lose Zobrist, or he'll fall off a cliff, and Happ's the only one who can replicate what Zobrist does, other than Baez (who'll they obviously try to extend.)

Their ability to add Harper and keep Rizzo (50/50), Bryant, Baez AND Contreras (although odds are he won't be worth a long-term extension because of the wear and tear on catchers) are pretty much non-existent.  That's not even considering Hendricks or Q, if he can rebound.

Unless the Cubs are going to get $200 million per year from their t.v. deal, then it's still at least POSSIBLE.  Not wise, given all the issues with Darvish/Chatwood/Heyward and their bullpen.

Edited by caulfield12

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

But don't you think that if they wanted Harper, they wouldn't have signed Hamels if the knew it would take them out of the running?  I think they'll keep Heyward and move Zobrist and Chatwood (including Happ and prospects).  They still need to spend some money on relief pitching, as I've thought all along that Andrew Miller is a perfect fit for them.

Because is Hamels is a one year commitment and fills a much bigger need.  

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because is Hamels is a one year commitment and fills a much bigger need.  

Especially because of Lester's decline (albeit not HUGE) and Quintana's inconsistency last year...and the overwhelming uncertainty about Darvish's status from week to week, month to month, year to year.

26 minutes ago, Cyrano said:

To Whitesox 27

Perhaps you should check your facts. They were worn out and struggled at the end but were not "god awful".  As is typical with some posters here you let your hate get in the way of truth.

image.png

God awful is definitely an extreme exaggeration, but ERA is not a great metric to use for relievers, by fWAR they were more middle of the pack, and half of that came from Chavez/Wilson/De La Rosa who are all gone. Strop/Cishek/Edwards/Morrow are solid provided they're all healthy, but they probably need another arm.

• Like 1

Agree,

ERA especially for relievers is a poor metric.  It just happened to be the way this schedule was ranked.  But their fWar was top five until Morrow and Edwards were hurt and Cishek worn out.  My point is not to defend the Cubs but to stop the blindness on what really is happening because of the fog of hate, when there are so many worthwhile stats out there.   Every one can use another arm in the pen.  An issue which is being exacerbated by the current trend to cut back on starters innings.  Bullpens are throwing 100 more innings in recent years.  Cubs didn't lose at the end because of the bullpen.  They lost because they stopped hitting.

• Thanks 1

The cubs had a XFIP of 4.29 last year which ranked 14th in the NL.  I think they had a much better win-loss record than what you would have predicted.  Lester is declining and will continue to decline.  Darvish is anyone's guess.  Hendricks is good.  Q had a normal year.  And Hammels pitched very well for them.  Relief pitching was an issue for them all year as the starters didn't get very deep into games. I would say they are need to pitching and not Harper- and that is not blind hatred. 

On 12/20/2018 at 3:32 PM, Justinsettle said:

The cubs had a XFIP of 4.29 last year which ranked 14th in the NL.  I think they had a much better win-loss record than what you would have predicted.  Lester is declining and will continue to decline.  Darvish is anyone's guess.  Hendricks is good.  Q had a normal year.  And Hammels pitched very well for them.  Relief pitching was an issue for them all year as the starters didn't get very deep into games. I would say they are need to pitching and not Harper- and that is not blind hatred. 

He did?

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils