Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

The funny thing is that the team that trades for Heyward, Schwarber and prospects is likely going to get a great deal.  Think of the players the Reds got in return for Homer Bailey. 

for Bailey and 2 decent prospects.  Not really a good deal for the Reds unless they do a great job flipping Wood, Puig et al.

Edited by GreenSox

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Almora and Schwarber were worth a combined 3.2 BWAR last season. They aren't even close to being good enough to make it worth taking on Heyward's albatross of a contract and opening the door for the Cubs to sign Harper. C'mon guys.

The Giants have very good reason to want Harper to go to the Cubs. It behooves then to help facilitate this. That might be a factor.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Why in the world would the Giants take on Heyward, even if the Cubs took on half his deal and threw in Schwarber? That makes literally no sense. 

Melancon and Cueto combined are worth $96M in contracts

Heyward is worth $106M

Melancon is off the books in 2021, Cueto only has a $5M buyout in 2022, While Heyward is making 22M in both 2022 and 2023. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The Giants have very good reason to want Harper to go to the Cubs. It behooves then to help facilitate this. That might be a factor.

Yeah that angle makes sense (prevent him from going to LA). And Heyward's defense would be more valuable there in a bigger home ballpark.

Edited by soxfan2014

Almora and Schwarber were worth a combined 3.2 BWAR last season. They aren't even close to being good enough to make it worth taking on Heyward's albatross of a contract and opening the door for the Cubs to sign Harper. C'mon guys.

Not to mention why would a team trade for 3 OFs? One of which would be a disaster in a park like AT&T. Schawarber needs to be in the AL where he could DH most of the time and fill in a few days at 1st or the OF. 

1 minute ago, Frank_Thomas said:

Not to mention why would a team trade for 3 OFs? One of which would be a disaster in a park like AT&T. Schawarber needs to be in the AL where he could DH most of the time and fill in a few days at 1st or the OF. 

To be honest, I can't even name a starting OF on the Giants off the top of my head. Also, they could always flip Schwarber to a team like the Rays or Astros.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, Frank_Thomas said:

Schwarber had a 4.3 defensive fWAR last year.  The great Adam Engel was 1.1

Just now, Frank_Thomas said:

Honestly either could I lol. 

I saw them linked to Pillar a few weeks ago, but I think the numerous openings in the outfield is why a deal between these teams could make some sense.  Cubs have excess outfielders, Giants have excess contracts (especially relievers, which the Cubs need).

4 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I thought people were talking about the Sox, my bad. I guess it would make more sense for the Giants because of the reasons you stated, but I still don't know why they would be willing to take on Heyward. He sucks and that contract is horrendous. Schwarber and Almora don't provide enough of an incentive to make taking on Heyward worth it for the Giants IMO.

I thought people were talking about the Sox, my bad. I guess it would make more sense for the Giants because of the reasons you stated, but I still don't know why they would be willing to take on Heyward. He sucks and that contract is horrendous. Schwarber and Almora don't provide enough of an incentive to make taking on Heyward worth it for the Giants IMO.

because the Cubs would be paying off a good deal of Heyward's contract.  Personally I feel like Giants should just start the rebuild process.

7 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Anyone see my posts? 

Heyward+Chatwood=133.5M

Cueto+Melancon=96M 

Other Option: 

Samardzija+Melancon=67M

Heyward=106M

Schwarber/Happ=the difference? 

The Giants also get to spread out that money over 5 years instead of 3. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, fathom said:

no, but Schwarber's defense improved significantly last year.  Playing LF in San Fran isn't nearly as difficult as CF/RF there.

His defensive value comes almost entirely from his arm.  When people stop testing him as much, he’ll lose a ton of value.  This is no different than when Eaton put up that ridiculous season in RF except Schwarber doesn’t have anywhere close to the range Adam had to remain a quality defensive OF once the arm value regressed.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His defensive value comes almost entirely from his arm.  When people stop testing him as much, he’ll lose a ton of value.  This is no different than when Eaton put up that ridiculous season in RF except Schwarber doesn’t have anywhere close to the range Adam had to remain a quality defensive OF once the arm value regressed.

he also wouldn't be a good fit in the NL West due to all the lefties in that division, IMO

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Anyone see my posts? 

Heyward+Chatwood=133.5M

Cueto+Melancon=96M 

Other Option: 

Samardzija+Melancon=67M

Heyward=106

Schwarber/Happ=the difference? 

The Giants also get to spread out that money over 5 years instead of 3. 

Don't you think the Giants would want to get rid of the bad money as quickly as possible? Why prolong the process by acquiring Heyward? And no, I don't think Schwarber/Happ is enough of a reason for the Giants to do that deal. They'd be better off just signing an infielder/outfielder in free agency and avoiding the Heyward contract altogether.

Don't you think the Giants would want to get rid of the bad money as quickly as possible? Why prolong the process by acquiring Heyward? And no, I don't think Schwarber/Happ is enough of a reason for the Giants to do that deal. They'd be better off just signing an infielder/outfielder in free agency and avoiding the Heyward contract altogether.

Maybe the Cubs would add Adzolay as well, and he had TJS late this past season.  Adzolay doesn't help the Cubs in their window. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils