Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

CWS, Rock has been posting here for at least  a decade and he has solid sources. Before Rock said this, I was pretty optimistic there were no realistic options for the Cubs to move money, and all signs pointed to the Sox by process of elimination. As time went on, I was starting to believe more and more the Sox could actually land Harper, because there was no real market for him. If Boras and Theo were buddy buddy the whole time and Theo just needed to find someone to take Heyward, and he'd be willing to give up whatever it took within reason to dump him, Harper was going to the Cubs the whole time and there was literally nothing any other FO could do to change that. If Machado is going to the Yankees, the same is true for him. He was going there the whole time and there was nothing anyone could do to change that. It isn't some epic failure, it is just bad timing and that Machado and Harper are more concerned with winning now, and cashing in later if they stay healthy. Can you really blame them? 

I’m still confused by this report from Rock. First he said that Schwarber and Heyward “will be dealt”. Then he said they might not be able to move Heyward. So which is it? Do they have a deal in place, or are they just exploring trade options? Doesn’t sound like anything official to me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I’m still confused by this report from Rock. First he said that Schwarber and Heyward “will be dealt”. Then he said they might not be able to move Heyward. So which is it? Do they have a deal in place, or are they just exploring trade options? Doesn’t sound like anything official to me.

I agree that the rumor had some inconsistencies.

8 hours ago, fathom said:

But this is in response to rock's news, not a Heyman or Morosi report.

Look, anything is possible. But if the Cubs sign Harper it’s because 1) they don’t give a shit about 2-3 years from now; 2) they blew through the tax this year anyway; and 3) now they don’t have money to make the upgrades they actually need to make

All I know is that the idea of the Cubs being in play for Harper is a great way for Boras to drive up the WS offer. I still think the WS are the favorite to land Harper. If he was set on either the Dodgers or Cubs he would have either (1) signed by now or (2) there would be more activity and moving pieces involving those clubs (I’m not convinced the Dodgers view OF as their greatest area of need and best use of resources).

I’ll be getting together with one of my buddies that works for the Sox marketing department on NYE. I’ll be curious to see what his thoughts are on the entire situation.

• Like 1

Did anyone catch five tweets from Steve Phillips Friday. Does not believe Cubs Phil's Nat's or Dodgers are  IN on Harpo. Then he points to the alt Chicago team. Again I would never count on a player who works with Boras. We have no concrete hints that Harpo is headed here. 

• Haha 2

If it would get him (Harper) to sign, I’d seriously offer him some kind of ownership interest contingent on him being a lifer with the Sox (with Sox right to buy it back or something). He’d be invested and likely recruit other players as well. It would be the best investment for this team ever it made them relevant again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Special K said:

If it would get him (Harper) to sign, I’d seriously offer him some kind of ownership interest contingent on him being a lifer with the Sox (with Sox right to buy it back or something). He’d be invested and likely recruit other players as well. It would be the best investment for this team ever it made them relevant again.

I'm not sure that such a deal is legal per the collective bargaining agreement.

1 hour ago, Special K said:

Ownership not gonna happen.  Other owners have to approve, and they don't want to start that bag of worms.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm not sure that such a deal is legal per the collective bargaining agreement.

If it were legal, those are the lengths to which I would go.  Assuming the Sox were the highest bid and still can’t sign a big FA because of lack of desirability to play for us, then FO needs to think outside the box and be willing to do stuff like that if they really care about future of Team. Once you net one big FA, then that perception goes away. 

Alternatively, they better figure out how to develop superstars in house. Something they haven’t been able to do offensively since Frank Thomas (or maybe Magglio if he counts)?

On 12/29/2018 at 7:09 AM, SoxBlanco said:

I was just posting what I heard at dinner from a beat reporter. Nothing more. Nothing less. She seemed very confident. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils