Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

No reason not to, but these guys are really waiting out FA to get the shot to play for the teams they want to. I feel like were the safety net for these guys which sucks.

Regardless of what happens I am going to be fairly certain that each of these guys are going to opt out after year 3 or 4 with whatever team they sign with this offseason. They'll both then sign on with a big wig team ... bosox, yanks, cubs, dodgers, etc.

2 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

If someone were to pay me $250mil to play baseball I’d rather live in San Diego/La Jolla/Del Mar than Chicago/Philly/DC. Just sayin 

I mean, for all of these guys, you can do both. And considering the lack of downtime during the season, I would rather be in a major city than San Diego, which while beautiful, has the charm of a cruise ship.

1 hour ago, Baron said:

You know what they probably do have though? Cash. Which is why their owners are meeting with Boras. It's kind of nice seeing a team serious about going after these players. 

What does this mean? The Sox and Phillies have been serious about going after those players. What is nice about the Padres also doing it? I must have missed it...

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Cool so they are meeting with Harper for kicks? Give me a break. 

For starters it would be smart of other teams to drive up the price on these two stars even if they have no intention on signing them. Its smart business to make sure one of your competitors doesnt get a big discount due to a slow and small market of suitors. 

43 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Many posts ago, bucket (I believe it was bucket) said the Sox felt good about where they were with Harper.  This latest information is encouraging that the Sox are at least still at the table.  You'd have to think the Sox have a good chance, at least monetarily.  We'll see about where he wants to play.

Has there been any hint that the Sox are in Harpo's financial range?? My inside sources are skeptical. Nor have we heard of any interest in his playing for the Second Sox. Just my take but it seems he really wants the big bucks. Not to mention his difficult agent. 

8 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

If someone were to pay me $250mil to play baseball I’d rather live in San Diego/La Jolla/Del Mar than Chicago/Philly/DC. Just sayin 

Summertime Chicago cannot be beat. And if you have hundreds of millions of dollars in your bank account, why not work in Chicago during the summer, and live wherever your heart desires during the offseason?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

All this says to me is that the Phillies and White Sox are still most likely to get the a Harper or MAchado on the roster. 

It would just be truly incredible for the Nats to be able to afford HArper, but because of their amenable relationship to Boras are likely to keep up this posture.

I’d be more concerned the Padres land one of these guys than the Nats.  I refuse to say it can’t happen, but they’d be in luxury tax hell indefinitely.

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

The fact that 2 reporters broke the meeting time at the same time meant someone wanted the story out. We see you Boras. You're better than that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

The beat writer did point out that they are not as serious with Harper but they seem to be with Machado. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d be more concerned the Padres land one of these guys than the Nats.  I refuse to say it can’t happen, but they’d be in luxury tax hell indefinitely.

I'm not really.

The White Sox are not spending bohemoths compared to the padres, but the padres really did handicap themselves in this by signing hosmer and myers. The entire case for the white sox is that the only long-term money on the books is an affordable one on the shortstop.

Hosmer's deal is not gangbusters (except when you factor in that he sucks), but it is $20 mill on the books for the next four years on a 1b, and $20 mill for next 4 years for Wil Meyers. They could sign Machado for 30 million, and it would ease up obviously when some of their star young players hit meaningful arb years, but they'd need to pay for a bullpen and sp support. They'd be up against it pretty quickly.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I'm not really.

The White Sox are not spending bohemoths compared to the padres, but the padres really did handicap themselves in this by signing hosmer and myers. The entire case for the white sox is that the only long-term money on the books is an affordable one on the shortstop.

Hosmer's deal is not gangbusters (except when you factor in that he sucks), but it is $20 mill on the books for the next four years on a 1b, and $20 mill for next 4 years for Wil Meyers. They could sign Machado for 30 million, and it would ease up obviously when some of their star young players hit meaningful arb years, but they'd need to pay for a bullpen and sp support. They'd be up against it pretty quickly.

I’m not concerned abou the Padres, just saying the Nationals are even less of a threat IMO.

50 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

No reason not to, but these guys are really waiting out FA to get the shot to play for the teams they want to. I feel like were the safety net for these guys which sucks.

Regardless of what happens I am going to be fairly certain that each of these guys are going to opt out after year 3 or 4 with whatever team they sign with this offseason. They'll both then sign on with a big wig team ... bosox, yanks, cubs, dodgers, etc.

They will go to whoever pays them what they want. The money just isn't there yet.

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils