Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

A few thoughts as this settles in:

Kenny saying he was stunned Manny chose San Diego is scary. You got to think the agent said last chance can you beat this. 

Lost in our disappointment, are the Phillies. Their owner said they would spend crazy money. Does that mean that they would not top 300/10/5? Or does it mean they really wanted Harper more than Manny?

Who said Manny didn't like the West Coast?

White Sox offer +Friends/Family did not overcome San Diego offer.

In the end, all the "insiders" were on the outside. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shipps said:

Yeah the 30 mil will be spent on a few trash players as a few posters here have already demonstrated they done with the extra 50 mil they would guarantee Manny. 

Good point.  Save on the family and friends and other mediocre players and you almost have that $50 million just for this year alone...  just above $40 million actually.

Edited by Machado2Sox

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

A few thoughts as this settles in:

Kenny saying he was stunned Manny chose San Diego is scary. You got to think the agent said last chance can you beat this. 

Lost in our disappointment, are the Phillies. Their owner said they would spend crazy money. Does that mean that they would not top 300/10/5? Or does it mean they really wanted Harper more than Manny?

Who said Manny didn't like the West Coast?

White Sox offer +Friends/Family did not overcome San Diego offer.

In the end, all the "insiders" were on the outside. 

There's a quote in the Athletic from the Phillies yesterday saying that the agent gave the Phillies a chance to say they would do $300 guaranteed and the Phillies said they would not do that. The White Sox basically got the same call and stuck with a $250 million guarantee with 2 vesting options. The Padres said they would do the $300 guarantee. 2 teams said no and 1 team said yes.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

There's a quote in the Athletic from the Phillies yesterday saying that the agent gave the Phillies a chance to say they would do $300 guaranteed and the Phillies said they would not do that. The White Sox basically got the same call and stuck with a $250 million guarantee with 2 vesting options. The Padres said they would do the $300 guarantee. 2 teams said no and 1 team said yes.

And the Sox were stunned because they didn’t think anyone would

Kenny says 300 million is a number that they could not go to and yet they float out that the deal could have been 320 million?  Pick a lane, you cannot have it both ways.  It seems ridiculous to say they went cheap with a 250 million offer but it's true.  Don't bother if you are not really all in on a 26 year old top talent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

So Hahn ultimately could have countered with a match of something similar but nah, too much. We have a team to build right? So now let’s settle to adding mediocre talent hoping for career years out of them for the next five years. 

While the majority of our prospects either get hurt or under perform. 

Sorry guys I’m going to have to leave for a while. It’s just not fun or worth my energy any more. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, shipps said:

So Hahn ultimately could have countered with a match of something similar but nah, too much. We have a team to build right? So now let’s settle to adding mediocre talent hoping for career years out of them for the next five years. 

Sorry guys I’m going to have to leave for a while. It’s just not fun or worth my energy any more. 

I do not blame you one bit. 

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There is a part of me that is comforted that the Phillies didn’t shell out for him. They wanted him for a long time too. 

Of course the Phillies made other moves...

23 minutes ago, shipps said:

Yep! This is definitely going to be a hard one to get over. Last night I went to bed believing the "sources" and to be calm that it would get done. In the end, it's not their fault we have a terrible owner!