Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Declaring that they don't believe in giving players opt outs could simply be a negotiating tactic. It provides a potential concession, which they can "reluctantly" grant, when their next F A target (Harper) demands it. I personally love opt outs, for the benefit of the team, as it keeps a player highly motivated.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lillian said:

On the field performance aside, Manny is a hard guy to like and root for. Maybe the front office never really felt like he would be worth the money, which he was seeking. They may have also worried about whether, or not, he had the discipline and character to be dedicated to the game, for 10 years, once he was guaranteed all of that money. Perhaps they view Harper differently. He is the more likable person and a better "face of the franchise". If they thought they could realistically afford both, now all they have to do is spend enough on one, to get it done. The fact that he doesn't appear to want to go to Philadelphia might provide an opportunity for this organization to redeem itself, with its now disgruntled fans. Just do it!!!

Your perpetual optimism and silver-lining-approach is genuinely appreciated in what can often be the cesspool of posts on this site. 

Just now, turnin' two said:

No way he is taking a deal with fewer guaranteed dollars than Manny.  I would bet on that.

Now that Machado is off the table and the numbers are known, the Phillies probably will put the expected 10/$330 with a plausible opt-out time in 4 or 5 years on the table and they'll get this done. There's enough other teams with interest that they know they can't get a huge bargain, they know the price, if they put the offer out it'll be over. 

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Declaring that they don't believe in giving players opt outs could simply be a negotiating tactic. It provides a potential concession, which they can "reluctantly" grant, when their next F A target (Harper) demands it. I personally love opt outs, for the benefit of the team, as it keeps a player highly motivated.

Don't get your hopes up on Harper. We all wasted way too much time with Manny. Pointless to dedicate even more to another lost cause.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

You know this is not the case, you know. 

The fact that the Sox wouldn't offer Machado 10 years, $300 Million, does not preclude their willingness to offer Harper 10 years, $350 Million. They are not the same players. Perhaps they view some of the "intangibles," which Harper provides, as making him more valuable. Again, they have had interest in both, from the beginning and it was always assumed that Harper would cost more than Machado. That package they offered Manny wasn't exactly chicken feed. 10 years, $350 Million is not far off, from what their Machado offer could have amounted to.

Edited by Lillian

Just now, Lillian said:

The fact that the Sox wouldn't offer Machado 10 years, $300 Million, does not preclude their willingness to offer Harper 10 years, $350 Million. They are not the same players. Perhaps they view some of the "intangibles," which Harper provides, as making him more valuable. Again, they have had interest in both, from the beginning and it was always assumed that Harper would cost more than Machado. That package they offered Manny wasn't exactly chicken feed. 10 years, $350 Million is not far off of what that could have amounted to.

It's ovah my fellow Sock. It's ovah. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The fact that the Sox wouldn't offer Machado 10 years, $300 Million, does not preclude their willingness to offer Harper 10 years, $350 Million. They are not the same players. Perhaps they view some of the "intangibles," which Harper provides, as making him more valuable. Again, they have had interest in both, from the beginning and it was always assumed that Harper would cost more than Machado. That package they offered Manny wasn't exactly chicken feed. 10 years, $350 Million is not far off of what that could have amounted to.

8e1fc359-6b58-4ddc-a200-fd8ccd7f925b

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Only one can hope that they learn from their Machado mistake quickly and pull a San Diego and come in and the last minute to steal him away from Philly

These guys literally predicted today Machado would sign with a team. Granted the Padres got a last minute change they weren't wrong. They weren't trolling. 

He says they are still in and now hearing red Sox are potentially in. You don't have to believe them, but they've broken stories for the pats too. 

He says top 3 suitors are Sox phillies nats/red Sox. 2 days max for a decision. Worth following even if they are trolling or faking because at this point nothing will sting more than today and losing to the padres

I said it before and I’ll say it again. Selling a super star free agent as a last place franchise is a really hard sell and Sox were never going to throw stupid money at any free agent. Not their mo. The reality is with or without Manny they were only going to be as good as the young players development and the franchise is still a ways away. Manny would have been a great piece in the long term but wouldn’t have moved the needle to the team being an immediate contender (no way the current roster is too bad). 

This means the Sox technically have ability to be patient. Missing adds urgency but isn’t an epic disaster in a silo. The big equation is whether the Sox can do player development or not. That has long been what worries me about the front office. 

2 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

These guys literally predicted today Machado would sign with a team. Granted the Padres got a last minute change they weren't wrong. They weren't trolling. 

He says they are still in and now hearing red Sox are potentially in. You don't have to believe them, but they've broken stories for the pats too. 

He says top 3 suitors are Sox phillies nats/red Sox. 2 days max for a decision. Worth following even if they are trolling or faking because at this point nothing will sting more than today and losing to the padres

Those guys said the Sox would sign both today......totally false

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I said it before and I’ll say it again. Selling a super star free agent as a last place franchise is a really hard sell and Sox were never going to throw stupid money at any free agent. Not their mo. The reality is with or without Manny they were only going to be as good as the young players development and the franchise is still a ways away. Manny would have been a great piece in the long term but wouldn’t have moved the needle to the team being an immediate contender (no way the current roster is too bad). 

This means the Sox technically have ability to be patient. Missing adds urgency but isn’t an epic disaster in a silo. The big equation is whether the Sox can do player development or not. That has long been what worries me about the front office. 

The Padres were a last place team last year and landed Machado.  The guy took the biggest and best offer.  The Sox could have matched.  They have the money.

Machado on the team in 2020 and beyond gets the Sox much closer to being a legitimate contender than a Machado-less Sox team in 2020 and beyond.

Edited by Machado2Sox

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

Those guys said the Sox would sign both today......totally false

Dude they said both, 4 days ago. Things changed and even hahn admitted things changed last minute today. But they said today machado would sign. You can't deny that that was more than just luck. I might be stretching but why not?

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This isn’t sour grapes, as I have said this to many posters on here, but I hate Manny and think most of us would have grown sick of his antics here. To me, I was more wanting the Sox to sign him to be relevant.  All this offseason has done is make the Sox more irrelevant, which seemed hard to do.  The fan base is so upset now, it doesn’t seem like there’s much they can do to get people off the ledge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

This isn’t sour grapes, as I have said this to many posters on here, but I hate Manny and think most of us would have grown sick of his antics here. To me, I was more wanting the Sox to sign him to be relevant.  All this offseason has done is make the Sox more irrelevant, which seemed hard to do.  The fan base is so upset now, it doesn’t seem like there’s much they can do to get people off the ledge.

Signing Harper would change that real fast.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Dude, they traded for his brother-in-law and signed his 34 year old friend. It's an epic-level failure. There's no way to spin this.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

10/350 probably gets Harper.  It really is as simple as that.  They were prepared to offer Machado $31.25 mil AAV for the next 8 years.  This is the same thing as that, less one Jon Jay-type every year, and with just 2 additional years where, though he'll be on the decline, we'll still get to watch him reach hit and homerun milestones and cement his HOF status.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

I'm probably one who would indeed have quickly tired of his "act". He is not a very likable, or relatable person. It's so easy to really like most of our young prospects. They all seem to be genuinely nice people. Manny never impressed me as being that kind of guy. Could our front office and ownership have had the same impression?

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm probably one who would indeed have quickly tired of his "act". He is not a very likable, or relatable person. It's so easy to really like most of our young prospects. They all seem to be genuinely nice people. Manny never impressed me as being that kind of guy. Could our front office and ownership have had the same impression?

I don't think they wanted Machado as much as they do Harper. They focused on Machado because the entire word from every report was that Machado would sign first. That's why it's played out this way. Remember boras and JR talked and mentioned they still have a decent relationship prior to what people think or say from the past.