Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Just now, Peacock Wrestler said:

A lot of what was said yesterday was based off pure emotion.  We've all had a night to sleep on it and I guarantee there have been discussions internally about how they can fix this, even if it means willing to spend more money.   I don't think they will, but who knows what's going on in the FO now.  

I'm certain that Hahn and Kenny feel like crap right now. They actually thought two nights ago they were gonna make their fanbase happy and turn around the negative vibes with this organization. That didn't happen, instead, it is a death march to be proceeded by Defcon 1, and shortly followed by Armageddon. 

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

I don't mean to belabor the point, but I'm afraid I must keep reminding everyone that the "Sox did not admit that they aren't giving Harper $300 million". They were addressing the Machado negotiations, not the Harper circumstance.

"Williams on the Padres going to $300 million: "That level wasn't feasible to us because we still have to project putting together a total winning roster and keeping the young players that will ultimately earn into greater dollars themselves.""

He's talking generally here. There's no way to read this the way you are, that it was limited to negotiations with Machado. It makes no sense for him to say we don't have 300 million to spend because we have to build a complete roster, but oh, if it's another player besides Machado, we do.

Just now, Jenksismyhero said:

"Williams on the Padres going to $300 million: "That level wasn't feasible to us because we still have to project putting together a total winning roster and keeping the young players that will ultimately earn into greater dollars themselves.""

He's talking generally here. There's no way to read this the way you are, that it was limited to negotiations with Machado. It makes no sense for him to say we don't have 300 million to spend because we have to build a complete roster, but oh, if it's another player besides Machado, we do.

Welp, 0 chance of signing Harper. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

My belief is Harper doesn't want to go to Philly. He and Boras are probably begging for the Sox to pay up. It's odd that after we whiffed on Machado reports came out that Harper is unsure about Philly. Remember guys, early in this process we all believed Harper hated Philly. If we want Harper badly enough we can get him. The problem is our FO in its entirety sucks donkey sack. 

Seems like a great way to welcome the Sox back into the mix.

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I don't mean to belabor the point, but I'm afraid I must keep reminding everyone that the "Sox did not admit that they aren't giving Harper $300 million". They were addressing the Machado negotiations, not the Harper circumstance.

They were addressing roster structure and said they couldn't build a winning roster giving one player $300 million.

2 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

A lot of what was said yesterday was based off pure emotion.  We've all had a night to sleep on it and I guarantee there have been discussions internally about how they can fix this, even if it means willing to spend more money.   I don't think they will, but who knows what's going on in the FO now.  

You don't honestly believe they sit around and read Twitter do you? They couldn't care less what the reaction is. This is a FO that has continually and repeatedly disappointed their fans and have shown zero remorse for it. 

6 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I think you're ignoring the exact words Kenny and Hahn said yesterday. They don't have 300 mil guaranteed to offer. I love how fans believe these guys are suave negotiators who play the media perfectly when everything about this organization for my lifetime (3-4 decades) has shown the exact opposite. 

They are not smart. They are not clever. There is no reason to believe they are capable of anything like this.

Yeah, that totally died. There was a lot of stuff on this board cheering Hahn and his savvy businessman sense playing hardball with the fool lozano, but once again the other person won and hahn lost so glad this meme could die.

Though, the fetishism of reinsdorfs business sense as if it at all matters in the lens of on the field baseball success is too much for me too. 

• Thanks 1

Perhaps we should all simply wait to see what transpires, before we draw any conclusions, or engage in any more hyperbole. I'm not defending the front office, but I'm not ready to grab my torch and pitch fork, either. I'm not privy to any of the real details, regarding their intentions, or strategies and I am pretty sure that no one else here is, either. We'll see what happens, then we can all offer our fair and reasonable critiques. 

Just now, Lillian said:

Perhaps we should all simply wait to see what transpires, before we draw any conclusions, or engage in any more hyperbole. I'm not defending the front office, but I'm not ready to grab my torch and pitch fork, either. I'm not privy to any of the real details, regarding their intentions, or strategies and I am pretty sure that no one else here is, either. We'll see what happens, then we can all offer our fair and reasonable critiques. 

Boring!

So Fegan referenced that Hahn was having trade discussions with the Giants GM yesterday.  Looking at that roster, I'm not even sure who the Sox would be interested in?  Knowing how this offseason has gone, he's probably just helping the Giants clear money to sign Bryce.

• Haha 2

Just now, Lillian said:

You took the words I couldn't think of right out of my mouth.  

Let’s be clear: For the White Sox, this isn’t an aw-shucks moment, or a case of getting one-upped by an offer that was impossible either to predict or to match, seeing as they were capable of both. The Southsiders were never going to be a World Series contender in 2019, and that, up until the moment Machado signed with San Diego, was fine—a rebuild takes some time. Machado is not the last free agent of his caliber—and, indeed, Harper hasn’t officially been ruled out, even if the Sox haven’t particularly seemed like contenders. But the White Sox’s failure Tuesday speaks volumes. A tank is worth it only if there’s something on the other side, and in declining—through cheapness or incompetence or both—to compete for Machado, Reinsdorf and the White Sox have revealed that, as has so often been the case for this team, there might not be anything there at all.

This times 1000. 

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/2/20/18232714/manny-machado-white-sox-whiff-free-agency

1 minute ago, fathom said:

So Fegan referenced that Hahn was having trade discussions with the Giants GM yesterday.  Looking at that roster, I'm not even sure who the Sox would be interested in?  Knowing how this offseason has gone, he's probably just helping the Giants clear money to sign Bryce.

Longoria probably, the young stud to lead our core!!!

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Immediately where my mind went.

It's gonna be some shit man. "White Sox acquire all star SS Brandon Crawford" and move tim to catcher smdh omg its real.

4 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Yes, but what if the unspoken part of the plan also included spending on Harper? Perhaps Hahn had a good point, if they intend to spend $350 million on Harper. The extra guaranteed $300 million on Machado would indeed have crippled their chances of being able to retain the young players.

9 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

It is impossible to combine this with the idea that we had interest in signing both.

7 minutes ago, Lillian said:

No pitchforks, but this does signal that we are not serious on being anything but a Tampa type team that maybe could spend some more one day, but it's now confirmed we wont be market setters to blow away other offers.  With our payroll very low we had set ourselves up for the first time to get someone elite, and it purely came down to money that we didn't.  We can't pretend we didnt want him, because we acquired Dennis & Carl Wilson for DH and OF spots, to the tune of 13M of payroll.

We have to be a prospect hoarding team that will then get the Lackey or maybe Lester type signings to round out a title contender........but it now is clear we will get our superstars internally or nowhere else.

All I ask at this point is no more win-now trades. Just lose, lose, lose until you're out of this thing and have some more high 1st round guys stockpiled

Edited by Princess Dye

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Yes, but what if the unspoken part of the plan also included spending on Harper? Perhaps Hahn had a good point, if they intend to spend $350 million on Harper. The extra guaranteed $300 million on Machado would indeed have crippled their chances of being able to retain the young players.

So, to be clear, it's your belief the Sox were unable to come up with an extra 50 million to get Machado because they already earmarked 350 million for Harper....

You are living in a dreamworld my friend.

Don't let yourself be double disappointed when Harper inevitably signs with the Phillies. Once again, it's not JR's cheapness, its the ineptitude of the management to get a deal done. If you don't offer opt outs and can't reconfigure $$ to make it more guaranteed, what is the appeal for coming here? None. This team put up ridiculousness constraints to eliminate themselves from sealing the Machado deal. No chance in Hell Harper will take a deal with zero opt outs and limited guaranteed money. Harper will get 350 million of guaranteed $$ and based on what he brings to any organization, at just 26 years old- he deserves it. So unless, the White Sox wake up from reality, don't bother wasting your time as a fan. Apparently the team payroll at $25 million next season is too high to afford a player making $30+ mill per season when that player is in his prime. :chair

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

It's going to be awesome when the Phillies refuse to go higher than 300 for Harper, the Sox don't bid on him....and the Cubs trade Zobrist and others and steal him away.  That would be the icing on this shit sandwich of a baseball decade.

If that happens, I will indeed grab my torch and pitch fork and lead the charge on the front office of Guaranteed Rate Field. However, I don't think that is going to happen and I doubt that you do, either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is impossible to combine this with the idea that we had interest in signing both.

They had "interest" insomuch as they had hope they could sign both for cheap deals because of the alleged depressed market. Of course, the market ended up being right where everyone thought it would be from the beginning.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Longoria to fill their 3b hole?

• Like 1