Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Just now, wegner said:

From the beginning, I did want Harper to be the main target so if we get him I will be over the moon happy.  Yesterday was bad when it was announced that Manny signed with the Padres.  The problem is that it got worse and quite frankly infuriating when Kenny Williams opened his month and said things that he should have known were going to piss off Sox fans.  And then Hahn tried to spin it that the Sox offered a better deal when they did not to further piss Sox fans off.  If the front office doesn't understand or like that people on Soxtalk are calling them out...tough shit!!

What are you doing, Wegner?

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, shipps said:

In a way I admire any Sox fans right now who can find a way to keep a positive perspective. I admit that I was really trying this morning. I can't do it, this is all just bad bad bad. For now and in the future. As of today I cant find it in me to cheer for them because I dont want this failure to ultimately be vindicated. Failing with Manny in this way is not okay with me and never will be. Even if it winds up being a shit show in San Diego with Manny it doesnt exclude Hahn and company from looking for a discount with all of these things considered at this point in the rebuild.  

And for the record, I am not going to try to bring down anyone that is okay with whats gone on the past 24 hours. I am just trying to get myself through this with talking it out and hoping that works.  

If Manny gets hurt or struggles a bit more like 2 years ago, it would vindicate them in a way but the principle would be the same. They can talk big about being in these in the future but until the white Sox win one, none of that matters. I'm also afraid that people are right... Sox have dumb pride and are out on Harper for that perception. 326 for Harper is around what you thought hed get. I just dont get it. 

Looks like they decided this off season that manny was the guy and that's even worse.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

From the beginning, I did want Harper to be the main target so if we get him I will be over the moon happy.  Yesterday was bad when it was announced that Manny signed with the Padres.  The problem is that it got worse and quite frankly infuriating when Kenny Williams opened his month and said things that he should have known were going to piss off Sox fans.  And then Hahn tried to spin it that the Sox offered a better deal when they did not to further piss Sox fans off.  If the front office doesn't understand or like that people on Soxtalk are calling them out...tough shit!!

Don't worry, we now have Yonder saying how amazing San Diego is.

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

This FO is a joke. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not really. Machado has had over 600 plate appearances in 5/6 full seasons in the big leagues.  Sure it could be manipulated if he's an albatross at 34 years old, but lets not act like 550 plate appearances is a tough bar to clear for a healthy player that will likely be well on their way to the HOF at age 34.  But yah, I get why Machado preferred the $50M guaranteed - especially as a guy that I could definitely see coasting a bit now that he's signed the richest FA contact in the history of american sports. 

This was discussed on the radio yesterday afternoon.  Last year there were something like eight 34-year old players in the ENTIRE league that had over 550 PA's.  Now that we're out of the steroid era it's pretty much in the single digits every year (compound that with the fact that rosters are getting younger).  As a player, to assume you're going to make 550 PA's in your mid thirties (even without team manipulation) is a fools bet.

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Regardless of whether or not he sucks, they were going to make sure he didn't hit the number. It was funny money. 

If Manny Machado is still a really good player at 34, I dont think the Sox are manipulating his plate appearances.  Obviously they would and they should if sucked at that point and they wanted him off the team.  

Again - I understand why MM took the $50M guranteed over the chance at an additional $20M.  I'd probably do the same thing if I were him.  But its not like he needed to finish top 3 in the MVP voting to get it. 550 plate appearances, while not something he is directly in control of, is not this enormous bar to clear.  If he was still a good and productive player, with inflation, I am sure the Sox would have been happy to pay the $35M in 9 years.  

But it is what it is now.