Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

5 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Now we can get revenge for SoxFest being a relative love-in compared to how the rest of the year’s media relations with Sox fanbase is going to go...thank all the stars in heaven Chris Rongey is no longer around, or he would surely blow up at one of his callers before the All Star Break.

By the way, February 25th (next Monday) and March 6th (split squad) we get the Machado and Tatis Jr. Show In Spring Training...that oughta be awkward.

Edited by caulfield12

I think the more we hear the more JR and his motives become crystal clear. He is here for one reason and one reason only: To be a gatekeeper and depress player salaries. He wanted Machado on his terms and now they are literally telling Philly "we are out, don't raise your bid".  He's doing this at a time where players are being vocal and taking a stand against ownership and the CBA. We will never sign a big FA again if this is right.

Edited by Orlando
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Josh Harrison 3/35

Marwin 4/48

Gio 1/6

Nobody can say anymore that the White Sox are cheap.

Say no more -

CarGo @ 1y/7M

"After losing out on Machado, uhhh, we have long coveted Carlos in prior offseasons to add to our 25-man roster.  I believe he will, uhhh, fit right in on the direction of this ballclub, uhhhh, progressing into a more stabilized and complete team.  That being said, uhhh, I believe we are better than where we were at the end of last season, and will, uhhh, be better than we were at the end of the season then at the start of this season, uhhhh, progressing to win multiple championships with this roster."

6 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

Check out @JonHeyman’s Tweet:

Exactly why we dont listen to nightengale. Sox are still in contact. He flat out lies. Don't care if their chances are low, they are still in technically.

The Sox are literally on a media tour explaining the failed Machado negotiations to fans. A better apology to fans would be landing Harper.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

That quote is downright sad

This guy just doesn't know how to quit.  You lost the trust of the little fanbase you had left, Rick.  At this point, it would be more beneficial to say that JR nixed going to $300M because he likes to keep his funding by side, you may earn some of the respect of the fanbase back.  Wrong of you to do so from a management standpoint? Yes.  But is ist true that your boss does not want to pony up and play chicken with premium free agents and not adapt? Yes.

It would potentially be useful in the service of driving a hard bargain with Harper to make a bunch of noise about your inability to afford a slightly cheaper player, but I think the safest assumption is that we don't value Harper as highly as we did Machado and we know that valuation won't get the job done.

I think most people expected it would take three-oh-oh mils to sign Manchado without knowing that the Sox were never planning to go there. Mgt should never hype up an FA unless they know they can sign him.  That is the crux of our fan base disconnect. Now we know they were likely not serious about Harper.

6 minutes ago, Jake said:

It would potentially be useful in the service of driving a hard bargain with Harper to make a bunch of noise about your inability to afford a slightly cheaper player, but I think the safest assumption is that we don't value Harper as highly as we did Machado and we know that valuation won't get the job done.

At this point, much more effective to publicly state you won't be outbid, come in hard with the highest offer and discourage teams from even bothering.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

At this point, much more effective to publicly state you won't be outbid, come in hard with the highest offer and discourage teams from even bothering.

I prefer having the Phillies think Boras is bluffing about higher offers and them only sticking to their offer, and then Boras saying "fine, you're out" to Phillies.  I'm sure that would never work in the world of professional sports though :)

• Like 1