Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Just now, Kpet1010 said:

Man @whitesoxwinner I guess we should all just stop caring then and move on because you said so.

Sorry guys we are out on Harper. It's official. Until Harper signs no team is out. No team can officially say they are out. So shut up until he signs and maybe leave this thread if you want to keep ruining our hopes and dreams, even if they are trivial to you

Where did I ever imply that? This whole rant implies that I do care, way more than I should. It's just ludicrous to believe that we even have a chance at harper. If I'm killing your dreams of the white sox signing Bryce harper, than deep down you dont believe that dream one bit

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Perhaps the end of steroid use began to have its effect.

Yeah that would be one consideration.

And again, it may be largely anecdotal on my part. But certainly with stars, it seemed pronounced. Think about how our 05 -08 run was largely fueled with free agents over 30!

The other I thought of was that maybe pitching velocity hit a tipping point where suddenly it became too consistently fast for these players with declining bat speed to keep up on fastballs. And suddenly while they previously could have maintained average production in later years they were suddenly below average and more expensive.

Total theory. No idea.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wouldn't put chris davis as first tier. His market was pretty bad and then all the sudden baltimores deal came out and people were pretty stunned.

Some of those were from a different time, but pujols was on the heel of arod who did decent on his second deal. It was on pujols deal where the aging curve seemed to fall off a cliff. I'm not sure I've ever seen this definitively shown, but it sure seemed like around 2011-12 it got a lot worse with ages 31 on.

Kind of an aside, but I just checked Albert's stats in Anaheim. He put up an OPS above .800 exactly ONCE. That's brutal.

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Kind of an aside, but I just checked Albert's stats in Anaheim. He put up an OPS above .800 exactly ONCE. That's brutal.

Yep that was an awful signing.  But I think worse was the mind numbingly dumb contract for Prince Fielder.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wouldn't put chris davis as first tier. His market was pretty bad and then all the sudden baltimores deal came out and people were pretty stunned.

Some of those were from a different time, but pujols was on the heel of arod who did decent on his second deal. It was on pujols deal where the aging curve seemed to fall off a cliff. I'm not sure I've ever seen this definitively shown, but it sure seemed like around 2011-12 it got a lot worse with ages 31 on.

Hampton and Zito were two of the worst really immense (at the time) deals for starting pitchers.  Of course, Jaime Navarro, on a much smaller scale, or Danks.

https://www.thesportster.com/baseball/top-20-worst-contracts-in-mlb-history/

This article has another 20.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Yep that was an awful signing.  But I think worse was the mind numbingly dumb contract for Prince Fielder.

If you want a preller sucks argument he was behind the kinsler for prince swap that relieved the tigers.

The rangers were "overloaded" with infielders at the time. One big lesson that dodgers showed everyone, don't try to make the perfect team with one player at every position.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

If you want a preller sucks argument he was behind the kinsler for prince swap that relieved the tigers.

The rangers were "overloaded" with infielders at the time. One big lesson that dodgers showed everyone, don't try to make the perfect team with one player at every position.

That is a terrific Preller sucks argument.  I was shocked when that deal went down.  

Just now, HakunaMachado said:

We need to have one thread for the Harper dreamers, and another for the Harper nay-sayers. 

It’s simple, there would be no reason for the Sox to broadcast they are going after Bryce.  It would only give the Phillies reason to increase their bid and would set up the fan base to get pissed again if they missed out on him.   I have no clue if they are interested in him, but I do know that if they wanted to create a false narrative that they’re out, Bob and Bruce are the two reporters they would leak to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It’s simple, there would be no reason for the Sox to broadcast they are going after Bryce.  It would only give the Phillies reason to increase their bid and would set up the fan base to get pissed again if they missed out on him.   I have no clue if they are interested in him, but I do know that if they wanted to create a false narrative that they’re out, Bob and Bruce are the two reporters they would leak to.

Exactly, the Sox leak their BS to Nightengale and Levine and their legit stuff to Rosenthal.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hampton and Zito were two of the worst really immense (at the time) deals for starting pitchers.  Of course, Jaime Navarro, on a much smaller scale, or Danks.

https://www.thesportster.com/baseball/top-20-worst-contracts-in-mlb-history/

This article has another 20.

Hey looking at that Bobby Bonilla contract...How about offering Harper a 500 year 5 billion dollar contract?..his family would be set for a long time and it would not tie up too much of Jerry's money,

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

If we’re going to blame Daniels and Fielder there, then the Rangers’ track record (minus the last two years, obviously) over the last decade plus runs rings around the White Sox...two World Series appearances weren’t by accident.

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

Hey looking at that Bobby Bonilla contract...How about offering Harper a 500 year 5 billion dollar contract?..his family would be set for a long time and it would not tie up too much of Jerry's money,

Too bad draft picks weren’t tradable, or we’d have certainly have put together the MLB version of the Herschel Walker trade.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I just don't want us sox fans to get our hopes up. With the debacle of the machado saga, I dont know how anybody could put any faith in them

9 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Exactly, the Sox leak their BS to Nightengale and Levine and their legit stuff to Rosenthal.

The stuff Bruce was running in the Machado sweepstakes (the Sox were at $175 and then were playing around with other things to increase the value over time in January) fits very well with the notes that the White Sox increased their offer to Machado several times in the last few weeks and that they were looking for ways to increase the dollar value without adding to the guarantee (consistent with the vesting options). 

• Like 2

If San Diego had signed Machado last month imagine how Soxfest would have been this year. I wonder if Hahn would have even showed up to face the fans. Keep in mind that after the White Flag trade was made, White Sox GM Ron Schueler didn't show up at Soxfest a few months later. He was too chicken to face the Sox fans.