Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

If all of this pessimism regarding the willingness of ownership to spend what it would take, is based upon the failure to sign Machado, it would be worth remembering that they made a very respectable offer and simply got out maneuvered, more than they got out bid. I would guess that if they could now change their offer to what Manny received, in order to land him, that they would.

23 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I feel like we have this discussion every week, but like them or not, the insiders (not the fake Twitter accounts but the ones currently being discussed) do indeed know things, and to deny is it simply delusional given their track records. You can dislike them or the way they present info, but you're in denial if you're acting like they don't have any info to begin with. 

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

If all of this pessimism regarding the willingness of ownership to spend what it would take, is based upon the failure to sign Machado, it would be worth remembering that they made a very respectable offer and simply got out maneuvered, more than they got out bid. I would guess that if they could now change their offer to what Manny received, in order to land him, that they would.

Agreed . Only $50 million short for Manny. What more could a fan base demand?

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

They haven't spent over 68 million dollars. Jerry rarely spends on how much it will it take 

5 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

If San Diego had signed Machado last month imagine how Soxfest would have been this year. I wonder if Hahn would have even showed up to face the fans. Keep in mind that after the White Flag trade was made, White Sox GM Ron Schueler didn't show up at Soxfest a few months later. He was too chicken to face the Sox fans.

I think they would've showed up, but the booing would have been glorious

Just now, Lillian said:

Putting aside, for a moment, the vesting additional money, how much could he have earned, based upon the performance based incentives?

There isn’t a player or agent alive that would think the Sox offer was better. The Sox do. BTW, no they wouldn’t have matched the offer. Read what Kenny said. They can’t win paying him that amount.

• Like 1

Does anyone else just get angry when they hear the Sox involved in rumors? There’s not a chance in hell they will sign anyone high profile - that’s been established as fact. Their lowball offers are clearly just fodder for agents looking to scare other teams and just a slap in the face to Sox fans. They should not be involved in any of these processes moving forward because it just ends up pissing off the fans. Yes - I am advocating they withdraw from all Tier 1 FA negotiations moving forward. They can stay in the mix for washed up over paid FAs because they’ve have basically cornered that market.

• Like 2

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

The Phillies aren't cheap, so apple's to oranges.

Exactly. This is the type of crap the Sox keep allowing to get out there that is frustrating to people. I don't doubt sources said it, it is just meaningless garbage that are keeping the Sox name in the news. If you don't question what sources are throwing at you at this point, then when? The Sox openly admitted the last bidding war they were "in" went past their comfort zone. This one will be higher with a more skilled agent. 

It's quotes like these that confirm the Sox are out, they shouldn't get people excited.

Certainly it would be nice to sign Harper. I know Rabbit said he doesn't expect it to happen, what I don't quite understand is why would they get involved even "in secret" if they can't or won't get past 300 million guaranteed? We know Boras won't sign for anything less than Manny. Do they think Bryce really doesn't want Philly bad enough to take 315 or something from them?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Showtime said:

Certainly it would be nice to sign Harper. I know Rabbit said he doesn't expect it to happen, what I don't quite understand is why would they get involved even "in secret" if they can't or won't get past 300 million guaranteed? We know Boras won't sign for anything less than Manny. Do they think Bryce really doesn't want Philly bad enough to take 315 or something from them?

With all due respect, people need to pretend KW never said the 300 million comment. They wouldn’t have met with Harper if that was true. I’ve said it before, but the 300 remark seemed like a bad response by KW instead of saying they blew it by thinking Lozano was bluffing.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

With all due respect, people need to pretend KW never said the 300 million comment. They wouldn’t have met with Harper if that was true. I’ve said it before, but the 300 remark seemed like a bad response by KW instead of saying they blew it by thinking Lozano was bluffing.

Kenny was candid and honest. They are indeed dumb, like believing they had a superior offer. 

• Love 1