Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

I can already tell you the Sox offer without being privvy to the discussions or having any inside sources. It’s likely $220-$250 guaranteed over 10 years and then an addition $75 can be made via “incentives” such as Bryce being MVP in like 5 straight seasons at the end of the contract. The Sox will have a unilateral option to opt out of the contract after year 5.

then the Sox can claim they offered the most, act shocked he didn’t sign, and claim he didn’t believe himself. They can then tell their fan base they were again at the table and be proud of how far they’ve come.

Despite some of our efforts to treat each of these player negotiations independently, there are some posters here who continue to conflate what happened in the negotiations with the Machado camp, precisely with what we should expect in negotiations with Harper. I continue to believe that that is not fair, or rational. They are two completely different players and should be viewed as such. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

With all due respect, people need to pretend KW never said the 300 million comment. They wouldn’t have met with Harper if that was true. I’ve said it before, but the 300 remark seemed like a bad response by KW instead of saying they blew it by thinking Lozano was bluffing.

I haven't posted much since I'm on a work trip and just following on my phone. It doesn't seem from what I've read that Rick and Kenny have their story in sync. I think it might've been you in another thread who said this 300 million thing was just a cop out answer because they didn't want to say they didn't believe the 300 million offer was out there. 

Edit: I see you said it in this thread, sorry.

Edited by Mr. Showtime

3 minutes ago, Mr. Showtime said:

I haven't posted much since I'm on a work trip and just following on my phone. It doesn't seem from what I've read that Rick and Kenny have their story in sync. I think it might've been you in another thread who said this 300 million thing was just a cop out answer because they didn't want to say they didn't believe the 300 million offer was out there. 

Edit: I see you said it in this thread, sorry.

It’s really the most logical answer if you step back.  KW was pissed, IMO, because he didn’t think they were bluffing. Hahn and Jerry did and that’s why Hahn became cynical overnight that the deal would get done.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

With all due respect, people need to pretend KW never said the 300 million comment. They wouldn’t have met with Harper if that was true. I’ve said it before, but the 300 remark seemed like a bad response by KW instead of saying they blew it by thinking Lozano was bluffing.

I think you need to remener who weare talking about. They have always thought players will play for them for less. It wouldn’t surprise me they actually think Harper would play for them for $250 million. 

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Not saying that, just saying that they certainly have it in them to be cheap

If you had to choose between Bryce Harper at $325 million and Corbin at his price point...and couldn't have both, which would you select?  It's really that simple....the same reason they weren't offering enough for Machado, because there's no way their payroll could sustain both with everyone they've brought on board this off-season already.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

If you had to choose between Bryce Harper at $325 million and Corbin at his price point...and couldn't have both, which would you select?  It's really that simple....the same reason they weren't offering enough for Machado, because there's no way their payroll could sustain both with everyone they've brought on board this off-season already.

So they can't support both Harper and Corbin, but they allegedly have the funds to bring in Harper, Keuchel, and Kimbrel? 

10 minutes ago, drgiggles15 said:

A ton of Phillies fans online are so annoyed by the Bryce Harper saga that they could care less if he signs with another team. I don't blame them for being so annoyed.

You mean like all the Sox fans who said they didn't care if Machado signed with us if it just ended already and then were super pissed when he didn't sign with us?

My boy Bilek starting some 💩 😂 

I wish it was it was possible. I hate this situation and would love for something crazy and unimaginable to happen but things like that just happen once in a lifetime and I this ain’t gonna be it.  

• Like 1

Here is David Ortiz.  The point, yes it may have not been a good idea with the others guaranteeing 300.  However, it was not like a silly MVP voting or All Star requirement.

And if they intentionally benched him to not make it, you think the players union wouldn’t be up in arms?

Honesty, it was unwise, but not ultimately cheap.

AEC7C613-6B4F-44B1-8368-4D601EB3CB2D.jpeg

• Haha 1

Ironically or not, 2 of the 3 that were just posted to show that players do regularly hit those goals had <400 plate appearances at age 33. The other one had <400 plate appearances at age 36. So while those players, chosen to illustrate the point, had >550 PAs and demonstrated it was possible, they also had seasons RIGHT NEXT TO THOSE where they would have missed the option if it had sat in those seasons. 

• Love 2

6 minutes ago, MysterySource5000 said:

Here is the injury prone Frank Thomas.

2F9170C0-9039-4D92-B8C0-96E6033A7DAF.jpeg

You are looking specifically at age 34 and 35 and ignoring that both Ortiz and Frank had seasons in their 30's which they missed 550 plate appearances. The Sox could also find excuses to play him less in such a situation as he would likely be regressing at that stage of his career.