Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

There's no point in looking at other players and their ABs in their mid 30s. So because Jeff Bagwell did it then Manny will? I'm sure there are a ton of players who couldn't get the 550 too. Where are those? Also you are ignoring years in these posts BEFORE 34 and 35 where the player DOES NOT get 550 ab. Thomas for instance..

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I dont really get rabbits endgame with those tweets

He is zigging when everyone is zagging because the Sox probably aren’t as “out of it” as everyone thinks. It’s not going to happen but they haven’t left the room. They aren’t at the table though .

1 minute ago, shipps said:

He is zigging when everyone is zagging because the Sox probably aren’t as “out of it” as everyone thinks. It’s not going to happen but they haven’t left the room. They aren’t at the table though .

Seems like Harper really is down to just the Phillies unless there are other teams in it we don't know of. Hopefully the Sox at least make a true competitive offer and maybe his percieved lack of interest in Philly helps.

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

The Sox are at the kid's table while the Giants, Phillies, and nats are at the grown up's table

• Like 1

Honestly, it came down to insurance against bad health.  Manny would have probably accepted it without the Padres offer.  I would not be surprised if this is not more popular going forward, baseball has guaranteed contracts unlike other sports.   This gets out of that if the player is too hurt to play.

Definitley Manny’s perragotive to not take that.  However, you cannot ultimately say it was cheap.

Edited by MysterySource5000

6 minutes ago, MysterySource5000 said:

The point is, they are not unattainable or crazy.  Unwise, yes it made sense for him to take the guarantee.  However, it wasn’t a crazy like he must win x amount of MVPs or All-Star games.

But they're no where near certain, a smart GM might well maneuver around them, it's a bet on things you can't bet on (How Healthy will he be in 8 years)...and the Padres threw him a MUCH better version of non-guaranteed years in the 5 year opt out.

If the Padres were at $250 million guaranteed with a 5 year opt-out and the White Sox were at $250 million guaranteed with 2 options, I'd still pick the opt out. The White Sox's deal was a request for a giant discount. 

12 minutes ago, MysterySource5000 said:

The point is, they are not unattainable or crazy.  Unwise, yes it made sense for him to take the guarantee.  However, it wasn’t a crazy like he must win x amount of MVPs or All-Star games.

They are unattainable when your team doesn't want to pay you 70 million over your worst 2 career years. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Showtime said:

Not much of an issue if it isn't the Sox but, when do we guess Harper signs?

Machado's press conference is 9:30 AM in Arizona tomorrow. I'll guess that Harper signs about 5 minutes before that. The Boras/Lozano mutual hatred is real.

• Love 1

White Sox aren’t signing Bryce Harper. They’re not in this thing at all. They wouldn’t pony up for Machado their main target. That leads me to believe they won’t even come close on option B. I’d be absolutely stunned if it happened. It makes too much sense that’s why it won’t. 

• Like 1

I really think the Sox came to their senses about giving Machado $300m and are just refocusing on Harper. Maybe this is what I choose to believe, but I really think it's so. I've always thought Harper was priority #1 and once Machado became cost prohibitive to also add Harper they gave up.

These reports that they are out...I just don't buy it.

41 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Okay I think it's time to put on my tinfoil hat, but I don't believe him here. They seem too eager to deny this shit.

They are definitely in it, or are least continue to monitor the situation.

I want to bee leaf, but I am also a Bulls- hit fan. Striking out often on FAs for them is the expectation, as surprising as that sounds. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

6 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

I really think the Sox came to their senses about giving Machado $300m and are just refocusing on Harper. Maybe this is what I choose to believe, but I really think it's so. I've always thought Harper was priority #1 and once Machado became cost prohibitive to also add Harper they gave up.

These reports that they are out...I just don't buy it.

Rick, Jr., this is your dad calling you down to dinner...please get off the computer!!!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

If you had to choose between Bryce Harper at $325 million and Corbin at his price point...and couldn't have both, which would you select?  It's really that simple....the same reason they weren't offering enough for Machado, because there's no way their payroll could sustain both with everyone they've brought on board this off-season already.

What do you mean? I thought the Phillies were cheap like us and haven't brought in talent yet? Nobody like Jake A. either. 

Some people are always going to have reason for false hope with this organization. They're always going to believe. That used to be me. But it isnt after what happened with Manny. There is no conflation with these two situations. Jerry is not only the cheapest owner in the MLB, but likely one of the cheapest in the 4 major sports. I love my fellow sox fans so I just dont think anyone should believe this is going to happen or that they're in. You're just gonna wind up disappointed when he doesn't sign with us

Edit: Forgot to mention he's also one of the cheapest in ANOTHER sport too, which we all know

Edited by whitesoxwinner
  • Like 2