Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Padres don’t have the money...they’re already overextended with Machado, their Lat Am spending spree in 2016, $24.5 million in bad contracts going back to 2014-15, Hosmer, Wil Myers, debt payments from the franchise purchase from Moore’s and stadium renovations (5% of budget, roughly.)

lmao, you don't actually believe this, do you? 

The Padres claim they have interest and they seem to have the budget.

As a padre fan, I'm much more concerned about the fact that they have like 6 major league OF'rs already for 3 spots and adding Harper would make it really awkward. 

I don't think my boys need Harper, but hell -- if they can get him why not. 

Just now, bmags said:

I understand all you wrote, but I'm just looking at a team that looks like  a wild card team with harper, and past this year will need to be really creative to add elite players.

What can they do in 2020 with just Nola and Hoskins to pair with Trout...seems like a recipe for disappointment.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Adding Harper would push their 2020 payroll, on paper, to about $175 million, but we're talking about a franchise that had a $180 million payroll in 2012. 

We are about 5 minutes off pace in our debate. 

Definitely true, it's just when they are truly competitive that extra space is needed to acquire that 4th good starter, or a few bullpen pieces, and that adds up quite a bit. I don't see ability to add another dominant guy on FA with harper. So they are going to rely a lot on farm as resources. 

Just not 100% on their future and fit, but, it obviously makes a lot of sense, there are just some areas where I wonder if that FO is worried about getting pot committed on this core.

Just now, bmags said:

We are about 5 minutes off pace in our debate. 

Definitely true, it's just when they are truly competitive that extra space is needed to acquire that 4th good starter, or a few bullpen pieces, and that adds up quite a bit. I don't see ability to add another dominant guy on FA with harper. So they are going to rely a lot on farm as resources. 

Just not 100% on their future and fit, but, it obviously makes a lot of sense, there are just some areas where I wonder if that FO is worried about getting pot committed on this core.

IMO - they already answered that question last week when they were the team that traded 2 top-100 or whatever prospects for Realmuto. They didn't have to do that move, they could have looked more long term, but they made their minor leagues weaker long term in order to make their big league squad competitive this year. 

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

As a padre fan, I'm much more concerned about the fact that they have like 6 major league OF'rs already for 3 spots and adding Harper would make it really awkward. 

Harper’s only possible destination in CA is LA or SF...the end.

They have a bunch of fringy guys like Franmil Reyes, Jankowski, Renfroe and Cordero.

Harper would pair with Myers and Margot, but not happening.  Not in a million years.

6 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

This cracks me up

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They have a bunch of fringy guys like Franmil Reyes, Jankowski, Renfroe and Cordero.

Harper would pair with Myers and Margot, but not happening.  Not in a million years.

Yep. Just like there was no chance the financially troubled Padres could sign Machado.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

IMO - they already answered that question last week when they were the team that traded 2 top-100 or whatever prospects for Realmuto. They didn't have to do that move, they could have looked more long term, but they made their minor leagues weaker long term in order to make their big league squad competitive this year. 

See I see that as a decent long term move and all it required was moving their catcher they were updating from and a dynamic pitcher I love, but still a 19 year old pitching prospect. And I am 100% that they will re-sign realmuto, so, again it's mostly that I'm kinda skeptical on this phillies rebuild/core. Could turn around big time if Scott Kingery comes around though, to be sure.

7 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

None of those guys are blocking Bryce fucking Harper.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

SAYS OTHERWISEEEEE

This race is down to the Phillies and the Padres and it should end soon and don't be surprised when my Pads land him if Philly won't pay up and instead makes the same mistakes as your White Socks. 

The most logical place for Harper to sign is with the Phillies.  I believe that only the Phillies and Sox are interested in a long term deal.  There are other teams, at least rumored so, that are interested in short term deals.  The Phillies will most likely offer more than the Sox would (if the Sox even make an offer).  I don't know how much I believ about him not being excited about playing in Philadelphia.  We had heard that Machado didn't want to play on the west coast.  Well, for $300M, he's playing on the west coast in a very hitter unfriendly park.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

None of those guys are blocking Bryce fucking Harper.

Don't get me wrong -- I'd love Harper here in SD. 

But from a net benefit analysis it doesn't make much sense compared to Machado. Machado replaced a bunch of no-names competing for 3b on the Padres. Harper would be taking a spot from Renfroe/Reyes/Margot/Janikowski/Cordero/Myers 

I mean, there's only 3 spots available in the OF for that group. The net win there is much less and from my analytical point of view -- not worth it.

But I'm still rooting for my pad's to get Harper because HELL that is awesome.

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

SAYS OTHERWISEEEEE

This race is down to the Phillies and the Padres and it should end soon and don't be surprised when my Pads land him if Philly won't pay up and instead makes the same mistakes as your White Socks. 

Just stop please

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

SAYS OTHERWISEEEEE

All posturing by Boras to get more money from the Phillies...and the Padres are prepared to offer another $330 million, in addition to Machado’s $300, Hosmer’s $140 and at least $72.5 million for Wil Myers.

Thats more than the entire franchise is worth, even if you add in Tatis’ trade value.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

All posturing by Boras to get more money from the Phillies...and the Padres are prepared to offer another $330 million, in addition to Machado’s $300, Hosmer’s $140 and at least $72.5 million for Wil Myers.

Thats more than the entire franchise is worth, even if you add in Tatis’ trade value.

In terms of money, it's only a 1 year commitment to a heavy payroll for my Pads. 4 year commitment to an average payroll.

My padres can afford Harper absolutely... it's just a matter of it not making a lot of sense IMO. But if Preller wants him, he's going to get him because Harp doesn't want to be in Philly or SF. 

18 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

:lolhitting

1 minute ago, EvilJester99 said:

Pads going to swoop in and steal all the top FAs 

Hell, if these competing teams are dumb enough to let him go for a bargain, why not? Worst case scenario they're a lot better this year and in a year or two they trade Harper when someone is ready to take over. Why not be the team that sets the floor at a reasonable value? 

• Like 1