Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

55 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

lmao, you don't actually believe this, do you? 

The Padres claim they have interest and they seem to have the budget.

As a padre fan, I'm much more concerned about the fact that they have like 6 major league OF'rs already for 3 spots and adding Harper would make it really awkward. 

I don't think my boys need Harper, but hell -- if they can get him why not. 

Shut up. My goodness.

While signing a top free agent can put a team over the top, literally signing your team's core through free agency historically fails more times than not.  

Remember the Marlins' Reyes, Buehrle, Heath Bell signings?  Lost 93 games that year.

How about the Angels spending over $310M on Pujols and CJ Wilson (The top SP on the market that off-season)?  One post-season appearance since.  

We all thought the Yankees were dynasty contenders after they spent nearly $400M on Tanaka, Ellsbury and McCann in 2013.  Still hasn't led them to the promise land.  

OH...and Melky, Robertson, Samardzija (trade) kinda goes without saying around these parts.....

Edited by FT35

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

lmao, you don't actually believe this, do you? 

The Padres claim they have interest and they seem to have the budget.

As a padre fan, I'm much more concerned about the fact that they have like 6 major league OF'rs already for 3 spots and adding Harper would make it really awkward. 

I don't think my boys need Harper, but hell -- if they can get him why not. 

I think the people on Padretalk would be very interested in your thoughts and opinions. 

Edited by turnin' two

Returning to the discussion of Harper and the Sox: If it is true that he does not want to play in Philly, the Sox should definitely have a realistic chance. I still can't believe that they are not interested. It's clear that Boras wants to secure a record contract for his client and, at the least, beat the deal his nemesis, Lozano got for Machado. I'm going to go out on a limb and prognosticate, which is something I rarely do. I think he signs with the Sox for 10 years, $350 Million, with an opt out, after year 5. That should be enough to entice him to the South Side, instead of Philadelphia. Now, if they offer that, but some other team offers the same, or more, and he decides to go elsewhere, I won't fault the organization and I won't be heartbroken. I would have serious reservations about any offers greater than that amount, or with opt outs, in the early years. In other words, I'd love to see the Sox get him, but not at any price.

I'd like to add that the spin being spun, by Hahn, regarding "pride over having a seat at the table" is very ill-advised. Why in the world would you even suggest that such a place of prominence was ever in question? "We are one of the oldest and most respected franchises in baseball, in one of the greatest cities in the world, with a very knowledgeable and loyal fan base. We will always be interested in acquiring premium talent, and we will continue to pursue future opportunities". That is the way to speak about our beloved Chicago White Sox. I detest this groveling, inferior, self effacing approach. It's not only infuriating, it's embarrassing. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Returning to the discussion of Harper and the Sox: If it is true that he does not want to play in Philly, the Sox should definitely have a realistic chance. I still can't believe that they are not interested. It's clear that Boras wants to secure a record contract for his client and, at the least, beat the deal his nemesis, Lozano got for Machado. I'm going to go out on a limb and prognosticate, which is something I rarely do. I think he signs with the Sox for 10 years, $350 Million, with an opt out, after year 5. That should be enough to entice him to the South Side, instead of Philadelphia. Now, if they offer that, but some other team offers the same, or more, and he decides to go elsewhere, I won't fault the organization and I won't be heartbroken. I would have serious reservations about any offers greater than that amount, or with opt outs, in the early years. In other words, I'd love to see the Sox get him, but not at any price.

Should the Sox sign Harper: absolutely 

Will the Sox sign Harper: no

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If the white Sox think Bryce Harper is worth 100 million dollars more than Manny machado they should eliminate the franchise.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The White Sox are OUT on Brycr Harper. They are not even submitting a bid. They are high on their outfield depth and feel it's a risk not worth taking... and as sad as it is to say, I agree. Harper doesn't fit. Manny did.

Sox lack elite bats in this org. You take it and figure it out. Fortunately most of their prospects have CF ability.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If the white Sox think Bryce Harper is worth 100 million dollars more than Manny machado they should eliminate the franchise.

So, you are not in favor of acquiring him, at $350 million, right? At what cost would you be in favor?

13 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Returning to the discussion of Harper and the Sox: If it is true that he does not want to play in Philly, the Sox should definitely have a realistic chance. I still can't believe that they are not interested. It's clear that Boras wants to secure a record contract for his client and, at the least, beat the deal his nemesis, Lozano got for Machado. I'm going to go out on a limb and prognosticate, which is something I rarely do. I think he signs with the Sox for 10 years, $350 Million, with an opt out, after year 5.

Puff puff pass. 

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'd go with the Machado offer and guarantee everything plus a little bump 10/$340 and a 5th year opt out.

The opt out is good for the Sox to not include it makes no sense. 

Edited by Harry Chappas
  • Like 1

Just now, Lillian said:

So, you are not in favor of acquiring him, at $350 million, right? At what cost would you be in favor?

No. Absolutely not. I'd give him 310, that's my max. I think Manny is the better player and would have given him more. Sox valued machado at 250. 

Harper has had more mediocre seasons than good/great ones. I think he'll be fine but with his defense dwindling and an injury history youd be nuts to give him 350 for just his baseball skills imo.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No. Absolutely not. I'd give him 310, that's my max. I think Manny is the better player and would have given him more. Sox valued machado at 250. 

Harper has had more mediocre seasons than good/great ones. I think he'll be fine but with his defense dwindling and an injury history youd be nuts to give him 350 for just his baseball skills imo.

I was Manny over Harper 100 out 100 (mainly due to organization fit), but Harper has a career OBP of .388.  His "mediocre seasons" are still excellent.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 103 mph screwball said:

Harper could be worth more than Machado for other reasons besides performance on the field.  TV ratings, salvaging the PR disaster, and other marketing has value.  They should have gotten Machado.  They didn't.  Learn from mistake and pay Harper.

Not something Reinsdorf operations are apt to do

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Honestly, at this current moment in time, the argument of who's better is irrelevant because Manny is no longer available.  Since we missed on Manny, we're in a much different position as a franchise--a position that NEEDS Harper more than ever.  We're now in a position of missing out on a star in a once in a lifetime market sans all the powerhouse teams.   If we DON'T get Harper, we could be facing a situation where the only shot we have at a superstar is developing one.  I don't like our chances...our player development is low and we won't have any fans coming to games to generate revenue.  

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Not something Reinsdorf operations are apt to do

A team owned by Jerry Reinsdorf is never going to give out a 300 million contract. Jerry is an old school owner, one of the last of his kind. He is an anti-labor guy and these mega-contracts go against many of his core principles. 

The Sox were never really in on Harper at all. It was all smoke and mirrors. 

• Like 1