Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

23 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jerry only owns 19% of the White Sox... my curiosity has had me wondering if Jerry is the face so he takes the fall for investors saying thanks but no thanks.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/whitesox/ct-xpm-2013-07-28-ct-spt-0728-white-sox-chicago-sports-20130728-story.html

I don't think JR really has to worry about facing any of the other investors. From the way this article makes it sound, there is basically a company that owns a majority share of the White Sox and JR owns the majority share of that company. In that way, he does not have to own a majority of the team, but he controls the whole team.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Its befuddling the Sox quickly threw in the towel on Harper unless the whale-hunting exercise was a head fake to begin with. As we sit here today, there doesn't appear to be an obvious destination for Harper and its not written in the bible that he's going to get 10 years at $30mm plus. This situation appears ripe for some stealth gamesmanship but we are tucking our tails and surrendering. What gives? 

The answer you seek is in your first sentence. 

9 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The answer you seek is in your first sentence. 

Why they didn’t play it by lying in the weeds from the very beginning...not making such obvious pandering moves like Jay and Alonso...might have had a different ending, but, then again, still difficult to imagine the bidding ending up under $275 million even with with the Phillies so obviously focused on Harper.

By NOT publicly lobbying for months...with two separate ESPN headlines about Machado to the Sox...they wouldn’t have managed to somehow piss off every single member of the fanbase other than Watch Ray Ray Run.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Why they didn’t play it by lying in the weeds from the very beginning...not making such obvious pandering moves like Jay and Alonso...might have had a different ending, but, then again, still difficult to imagine the bidding ending up under $275 million with the Phillies so obviously focused on Harper.

By now public lobbying for months...with two separate ESPN headlines about Machado to the Sox...they wouldn’t have managed to somehow piss off every single member of the fanbase other than Watch Ray Ray Run.

I'm not happy pal, but it's a game and stuff happens. Rationally speaking it's not the end of the rebuild and huge contracts arent always great. 

I'm disappointed too but it's not some fan breaking sin. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Padres - no

Sox - out 

Nats - out

How could Harper's number be getting too big?? No one is even bidding. Wtf

The Phillies better seal the deal quick. We are soon entering a period where a contender may say screw it and throw out a huge short term contract to Harper. 

Kershaw apparently just got shut down. Bad luck and unexpected stuff is gonna start happening soon. 

As this drags out, why to I feel like more and more that Reinsdorf and Middleton colluded together so both their teams could go sign Machado and Harper? Difference is, the Sox did not expect the Padres to come out of left field and blow their offer out of the water. Maybe thats why Fowler was so on the nose about the Sox. Reinsdorf, being a man of his word, won't enter the Harper sweepstakes because he already gave Middleton his word they could have Harper. I know it sounds crazy, but the way this offseason has unfolded, I wouldn't be surprised if something to this degree took place. Now there isn't a single team other than the Phillies going for Harper, and their owner had to fly out to Vegas to convince Harper to come to Philly.

29 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

They probably think all of their OF prospects will be sure-fire successes.

Well they moved one of the most valuable players in their organization off his natural position because Nick Madrigal may someday play there, so they have been known to think that way.

Maybe the Padres will shock the world and sign Harper too?

Yo, Preller here is a gameplan:

Sign Harper for 5 years 175 million guaranteed. 100k bonus for every game that is a sell out at Petco. 20 million bonus if the Padres win one World Series while under contract. 50 million if they win two or more. 

Trade some of your gazillion prospects for Grienke, Kluber, and Rodon. 

Being a GM is easy on paper ;}

24 minutes ago, fathom said:

Maybe I’m naive, but this is a positive tweet.  If the Sox are going after him and don’t want Phillies to think they are a threat....

This....if they are indeed bidding on him there is no chance they are going to be as public with things as they were with Machado, that way if they don’t land him they don’t have fans expectations up and make this even worse. With that said, I don’t think they are in it...

The problem is that the Phillies went all in with the spending “stupid money” comment.  Now they have to land Harper at all costs and only Sox ownership and front office doesn’t think they have to follow through on their promises to the fans.

Edited by Harper2Sox