Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This is probably one good reason the “friends and family” approach has never been attempted in this way.

The repercussions of it backfiring.

So fans are rightfully wondering how they were willing to guarantee $250 million but not the extra $50 million they already wasted in veterans for this year’s roster, especially the $13 million for Alonso and Jay.

Missing on both whales is one thing.

Its this wasting of time and resources on players that have NOTHING whatsoever to do with the next White Sox playoff roster that has everyone seeing RED.  It’s simply a combination of stopgaps and castoffs...we’re like The Island Of Misfit Toys.  

And yet we gave up on Narvaez with four years of control, are going with Nova/Santana over young pitchers who could still make it (at least as relievers)...forcing Palka into RF where he doesn’t belong, etc.  None of it makes any logical sense now.  Or subjecting fans to another year of Engel and now Jay when not even the woebegone Royals wanted him anymore.

How could you expect any but the most lenient fans to give them a free pass with all the information that’s coming out?

I attend about 24 games per year, 7 of which, is with my family. I assure you I will not boo Yonder or Jay or anyone in the front office at games. Probably because I won't be at any. 

My main problem with Hahnny is that they spend all this money on cheap parts that places the team in 75 win hell. They should be getting as many big fish as possible first, trying out young guys who have potential, and then bringing in stop gaps to fill holes where we couldn't acquire high end talent. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I attend about 24 games per year, 7 of which, is with my family. I assure you I will not boo Yonder or Jay or anyone in the front office at games. Probably because I won't be at any. 

My main problem with Hahnny is that they spend all this money on cheap parts that places the team in 75 win hell. They should be getting as many big fish as possible first, trying out young guys who have potential, and then bringing in stop gaps to fill holes where we couldn't acquire high end talent. 

Great post.

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This whole saga deserves its own rock opera.

“Deaf dumb and blind boy” seems ironically appropriate.

Jerry can you hear me?  Jerry can you heeaaaarr me?!?  Featuring A.J. Preller as cousin Kevin 

1 hour ago, shipps said:

After this off season expect this to decline even further for the Sox. 

7FAE19D4-8D4B-47D2-9D41-8DC89F34BC5D.jpeg

The entire AL central has pathetic attendance numbers. All pretty much in bottom third except for Minnesota which is one spot behind Cleveland. I’m sure the freezing temps of April don’t help any of Central but that’s not the only factor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Do you have examples?

Just the hate TA got from people for saying he was glad it was over, and some tweets on that reply undercutting Yolmer. Don’t have any problem people criticizing org on replies to white Sox tweets, but I mean it’s not Sox players jobs to try and suppress salaries for the front office sucking.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Just the hate TA got from people for saying he was glad it was over, and some tweets on that reply undercutting Yolmer. Don’t have any problem people criticizing org on replies to white Sox tweets, but I mean it’s not Sox players jobs to try and suppress salaries for the front office sucking.

Agreed, it’s an extremely toxic environment right now. Outside of signing Harper, I see no end in sight to the hostility.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Great post.  And it’s completely the opposite of how all other businesses’ operate.  I’ve seen people blame the fans for not coming out as some sort of logic for us not being able to spend and that’s complete bullshit.  Build a consistently desirable product and people will eventually show up.  Like any other business, that might require some up-front investment, but no other companies blame their customers for not buying their shitty product.  The “I can’t spend a dollar when I only have 50 cents” attitude has governed this franchise my entire lifetime outside of the Albert Belle signing.

I’m sure someone will post some attendance figures trying to disprove my overall point and rip our fanbase, but it’s the honest to god truth.

I agree as well. But not living in Chicago, I looked at the Bulls attendance. They are 4th in NBA in attendance with the 4th worst record. So maybe Jerry figures if  he draws in the NBA w a shitty product then he can do the same in MLB.  Obviously the Bulls are the only NBA team but there is some competition on attendance w the Blackhawks.

5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

We will this season, it's going to be brutal in the stands. That 20k will probably be 16k next year

I know the single game sales will drop some, but they probably had a decent offseason in season ticket sales. Remember how many times they talked about how they were going to add Manny Machado without saying his name? That probably generated interest and boosted ticket package sales a bit. Some people probably even jumped at single game tickets for the opener and for a few other games 10 days ago when they went on sale for the same reason.

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

I agree as well. But not living in Chicago, I looked at the Bulls attendance. They are 4th in NBA in attendance with the 4th worst record. So maybe Jerry figures if  he draws in the NBA w a shitty product then he can do the same in MLB.  Obviously the Bulls are the only NBA team but there is some competition on attendance w the Blackhawks.

It’s really not comparable. They need to fill up a 20k stadium 40 times a year. The Sox do that double. The bulls have also had more consistent playoff success and it’s much easier to. Sox having a lost decade is really brutal and it kills the attendance, even aside from fact that it’s the south side of the city hollowing out.

15 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

What if it is discovered they colluded? Wishful thinking here, but would Reinsdorf be forced to sell?

I don't think so. Pretty sure JR was found to be involved in the collusion last time too. I think last time they allowed the players effected to look for new contracts but also keep their current ones if they couldn't find better offers and the owners also had to pay the players association some amount of money which they could split up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I somehow think the overreactions will bypass and people will show up when Eloy is launch bombs out of GRF.

I agree. The team will definitely be more interesting this year. Where they will have a problem is going forward. Whether anyone thinks it is warranted or not, there is going to be a lot higher mistrust with the front office. Unless they have some sort of surprising season, a lot of people that jumped on the rebuild bandwagon have jumped or will jump off. They will think this management team doesn’t have what it takes to bring it to the next level.

I feel sorry for Eloy. If for some reason he doesn’t look like a HOFer from the get go, the next freak out will occur. Right now, he is the savior. That is going to be hard to live up to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Gotcha, yeah it’s unfortunate but to be expected.  Hopefully the anger subsides a bit and becomes more focused at the front office & Jerry as we get deeper into spring training.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree. The team will definitely be more interesting this year. Where they will have a problem is going forward. Whether anyone thinks it is warranted or not, there is going to be a lot higher mistrust with the front office. Unless they have some sort of surprising season, a lot of people that jumped on the rebuild bandwagon have jumped or will jump off. They will think this management team doesn’t have what it takes to bring it to the next level.

I feel sorry for Eloy. If for some reason he doesn’t look like a HOFer from the get go, the next freak out will occur. Right now, he is the savior. That is going to be hard to live up to.

Yet another reason on the list of hundreds that they needed to sign Manny. It would have taken some of the pressure off of Eloy and others to be the guy. 

4 minutes ago, Goober said:

God I hope not

Not a chance this happens. Eloy won't bring fans to games by himself, and the team needs to win before this debacle washes over. Attendance will not be terrible, but they will bring in probably 19k a game. Fans may come back next year if Eloy enters the MVP conversation and if other young guys are producing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Eloy is a tremendous prospect, but this front office is basically relying on him to be it’s savior.  And even if he hits on his ceiling, we’re not talking Mike Trout here.  The team will need multiple more impact talents.  The front office almost seems like if Eloy is a hit all is good.

• Like 1