Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, wegner said:

What I realistically expect how the Sox will spend when they think they are in a position to challenge for the AL Central is like what they did a few years back when Andrew Miller was the top left handed reliever on the free agent market.  The Sox instead went quickly in the off season to Zach Duke and gave him a slightly over market offer so that he would sign quickly.  Short term deals to good baseball players but not necessarily great players.  Our prospects are going to have to be the stars of the show.  I hope it works. 

Yep. There will be no A list players purchased via free agency by the Sox. Hopefully some of the young "studs" like Moncada, Jimenez, Kopech, and Robert hit their ceilings and become superstars. 

The Sox will be going after guys like Donaldson, Grandal, Goldschmit, Alex Wood, and Michael Wacha. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Yep. There will be no A list players purchased via free agency by the Sox. Hopefully some of the young "studs" like Moncada, Jimenez, Kopech, and Robert hit their ceilings and become superstars. 

The Sox will be going after guys like Donaldson, Grandal, Goldschmit, Alex Wood, and Michael Wacha. 

Yep.  Short term deals on veterans to fill out the roster and bring in that veteran presence.  Trying to catch lightning in a bottle approach.  The thing that really scares me is if our pitching prospects do not work out.  They definitely will not pay for the top of the rotation free agent pitchers... and I do not trust Hahn and Kenny to know what prospects to trade and or keep to get that pitching.

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Yep.  Short term deals on veterans to fill out the roster and bring in that veteran presence.  Trying to catch lightning in a bottle approach.  The thing that really scares me is if our pitching prospects do not work out.  They definitely will not pay for the top of the rotation free agent pitchers... and I do not trust Hahn and Kenny to know what prospects to trade and or keep to get that pitching.

Notice that Milwaukee has been able to find good value doing this. White Sox results make  it even worse than it seems.

51 minutes ago, bmags said:

Notice that Milwaukee has been able to find good value doing this. White Sox results make  it even worse than it seems.

This is more interesting than how it's presented here. Outside of Lorenzo Cain (who was, IMO, the only person in 2017 who signed for $10-$20 million per year without being an utter disaster), they had some good signings like Jhoulys Chacin and Wade Miley, who punched above their weight and provided good value.

BUUUUUUUUT

They also signed Boone Logan, Matt Albers, and Yovanni Gallardo, spending nearly $10 million on them. All played substantially for that team, and between them they were worth something on the order of -2 WAR, their combined ERA was somewhere over 6.

I will be willing to bet that out of the garbage the White Sox signed and traded for this year they'll get a good player or two. Maybe its Herrera. Maybe it's Colome. Maybe it's both. Maybe Santana has something left in the tank, maybe Nova does. That a few people turn out successful when you sign a bunch of has-beens isn't surprising. Last year it was Soria.

The real difference is the rest of the roster. The Brewers had a good enough roster that, especially with Yelich in the OF, they could afford to waste $10 million and 150 innings on guys who put up a combined ERA over 6, because the rest of their roster performed. They wasted money on Braun, Cain was expensive, they traded for a few guys, but they weren't desperate for all of those minimum payroll guys to be good. They didn't need all of those guys to succeed to win the NL Central, they succeeded in spite of those guys.

If you sign 5 or 6 guys like that, a couple will have some success, but a good number will implode. The exact number of each might depend on your scouting and coaching, but that's how it goes. If your roster needs all 6 guys to succeed, a-la the 2016 White Sox for example, then it will look bad. If you have a strong roster like the Brewers, then that wasted $10 million isn't the end of the world.

I was going to wait for Harper to officially sign (as I was holding out hope that the White Sox would swope in), but it seems incredibly unlikely that the White Sox will move on Harper. So this ends my White sox fandom.

It's been a fun ride SoxTalk! One of the best places to talk baseball on the internet. 

I'm moving over to be a Padre fan from here on out. I'll spare you from any reasoning as, I'm sure you all are well aware of the reasons. Take care friends, I won't be back to check any replies. Kind regards. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I was going to wait for Harper to officially sign (as I was holding out hope that the White Sox would swope in), but it seems incredibly unlikely that the White Sox will move on Harper. So this ends my White sox fandom.

It's been a fun ride SoxTalk! One of the best places to talk baseball on the internet. 

I'm moving over to be a Padre fan from here on out. I'll spare you from any reasoning as, I'm sure you all are well aware of the reasons. Take care friends, I won't be back to check any replies. Kind regards. 

Thank god. Also, "swope" isn't a word.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is more interesting than how it's presented here. Outside of Lorenzo Cain (who was, IMO, the only person in 2017 who signed for $10-$20 million per year without being an utter disaster), they had some good signings like Jhoulys Chacin and Wade Miley, who punched above their weight and provided good value.

BUUUUUUUUT

They also signed Boone Logan, Matt Albers, and Yovanni Gallardo, spending nearly $10 million on them. All played substantially for that team, and between them they were worth something on the order of -2 WAR, their combined ERA was somewhere over 6.

I will be willing to bet that out of the garbage the White Sox signed and traded for this year they'll get a good player or two. Maybe its Herrera. Maybe it's Colome. Maybe it's both. Maybe Santana has something left in the tank, maybe Nova does. That a few people turn out successful when you sign a bunch of has-beens isn't surprising. Last year it was Soria.

The real difference is the rest of the roster. The Brewers had a good enough roster that, especially with Yelich in the OF, they could afford to waste $10 million and 150 innings on guys who put up a combined ERA over 6, because the rest of their roster performed. They wasted money on Braun, Cain was expensive, they traded for a few guys, but they weren't desperate for all of those minimum payroll guys to be good. They didn't need all of those guys to succeed to win the NL Central, they succeeded in spite of those guys.

If you sign 5 or 6 guys like that, a couple will have some success, but a good number will implode. The exact number of each might depend on your scouting and coaching, but that's how it goes. If your roster needs all 6 guys to succeed, a-la the 2016 White Sox for example, then it will look bad. If you have a strong roster like the Brewers, then that wasted $10 million isn't the end of the world.

They also signed Yasmani Grandal and Moustakas this year. They find more value in the markets then the Sox. Short, long, trades, draft, Milwaukee does it better. 

It doesn’t matter what area the Sox have been in free agency, their signings have been atrocious. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Eh, I thought his stake was a little larger. He clearly answers to some people... he doesnt have a majority share - he just has the largest share. I dont know if it actually matters or impacts things but I do wonder it... 

Jerry has limited partners non-voting shares. They are investors. 

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Since you're not coming back to check, allow me to speak for everyone and call you a whiney twat.  👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wegner said:

What I realistically expect how the Sox will spend when they think they are in a position to challenge for the AL Central is like what they did a few years back when Andrew Miller was the top left handed reliever on the free agent market.  The Sox instead went quickly in the off season to Zach Duke and gave him a slightly over market offer so that he would sign quickly.  Short term deals to good baseball players but not necessarily great players.  Our prospects are going to have to be the stars of the show.  I hope it works. 

Not all is on Jerry. Considering the size of the market we are the worst fan base in MLB. What is on Jerry is not making our home base more of an inviting community.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Because we gave them/drafted/rostered Junior Guerra, Soria, Avilan, Jennings, Gio Gonzalez and Matt Albers, lol...not to mention 100+ at bats of a 701 ops from Saladino.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

BUUUUUUUUT

Aguilar (Indians), Shaw (Red Sox), Moustakas (no FA market) and Thames (Japan) were all superfluous to other teams and great “value” finds.  Jeffress came out of a surplus of Royals’ relief depth as well.

Other than Hader, Suter and Knebel...this team on the pitching side was duct-taped together from 10 different sources, but it all clicked.

Heck, their biggest deadline acquisition in Schoop was a complete flop and they still overcame it.  

33 minutes ago, pcq said:

Not all is on Jerry. Considering the size of the market we are the worst fan base in MLB. What is on Jerry is not making our home base more of an inviting community.  

Considering the scope of disappointment, lack of playoff success and lengthy record of front office debacles, he’s pretty lucky to have any fans left supporting this organization at this point.

Other than the Cubs and Cardinals, few fanbases historically have tolerated/supported teams that just aren’t all that entertaining or competitive.  There’s simply too much competition for attention and entertainment dollars these days.  More important priorities like health care, education and having enough money to afford a decent 1-2 week family vacation take precedence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

I know that we are already pissed at the Sox but what number does the Phillies deal have to reach to not make us even angrier? I would be pissed if it’s Manny’s contract and down. 

I think anything 10/350 and below is completely reasonable.

It's not like these $5 million AAV make a difference in roster construction. 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I know that we are already pissed at the Sox but what number does the Phillies deal have to reach to not make us even angrier? I would be pissed if it’s Manny’s contract and down. 

Harper will pay the extra money himself in revenue. It's a no brainer, and I don't care about any OF prospects not named Eloy and Robert. The rest can go as trade bait if it meant we got Harper. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1