Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

meanwhile-in-chicago.jpg

Can someone cue the GIF of the villagers storming The Beast’s castle with pitchforks and torches in Beauty & the Beast, por favor?

So basically “Middleton persisted” while KW and Hahn were either vacationing or golfing somewhere.  

Impossible to imagine Reinsdorf interrupting his Chairman of the Board duties to stay in Vegas for multiple days in order to close a deal out.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Anyone who thought the Sox had a chance this week with Harper was out of their mind. 

It’s more like wishing.  Imagine Harper in a Sox jersey on the cover of MLB The Show 2019, imagine Sox fans everywhere in Harper jerseys, imagine fans actually showing up to GRate to watch Harper and Eloy.  Is JR a moron or what?

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

It’s more like wishing.  Imagine Harper in a Sox jersey on the cover of MLB The Show 2019, imagine Sox fans everywhere in Harper jerseys, imagine fans actually showing up to GRate to watch Harper and Eloy.  Is JR a moron or what?

Fantasy land brother. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Some of that was playing CF instead or his preferred and more instinctive RF, but the whole “Harper’s defense is falling off a cliff” in 2018 was merely based on a sum total of count ‘em...FOUR 50/50 defensive plays he didn’t make, one or two of which are balls that arguably were lost in the lights.

Padres chairman Ron Fowler: ‘We’re a lot happier than the #Whitesox right now.’

Should put that billboard up in Hahn, KW’s and Reinsdorf’s neighborhoods to wake up to everyday...maybe it will serve as a source of inspiration, but probably not.  They’re all too comfortable.

Any other billionaire owner with the smallest sense of dignity / ego would probably respond by making a fat offer to Harper right now.  Not old man Reinsdorf, he’s probably smoking a cigar while reliving the glory days through his 2005 World Series box set.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Unknown said:

The Sox don't want to get involved because it might run up the price for the Phillies, right? 

I believe Phil Rogers tweeted something to that extent. If true, that is a pretty textbook case of owner collusion to suppress a players salary. 

In my humble opinion, the Sox never had any real interest in signing Harper from day one of the offseason. They knew the asking price going in would be 300 million plus due to the Nats offer. He is still sitting out there now and the Sox aren't making a move on him because they never had any interest in signing him in the first place. 

50 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still think something around 10/$300M could get this done, but cheap Uncle Jerry ain’t gonna pony up unfortunately.

I need your optimism back. Even though this will certainly end poorly, just like it did with Machado, give us some hope at least. 

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I need your optimism back. Even though this will certainly end poorly, just like it did with Machado, give us some hope at least. 

There’s just no way he subjects himself to that twice...although it’s already looking like it could be over in the next week unless he really wants to go to SFG and work out a really creative shorter term deal with higher AAV.

7 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

Am I reading way too much into things that whenever there is a positive Sox interest in Harper tweet (heyman), immediately nightengale tweets the opposite?

Well you have one guy that obviously has ties to Boras, who would want another team involved in the bidding to help raise the price.  Then you have another guy with ties to the Sox that either want to be under the radar or not get the hopes up of their fans.

21 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I honestly believe there’s a non zero chance we get him, but that requires three things:

1. Reinsdorf preferring Harper over Machado and open to a larger contract for him
  2. Jerry seeing all the bad press / outrage over the Manny miss and willing to go a bit bigger
  3. The Phillies having a strict valuation range and not comfortable going beyond it

I truly believe #1 & #3 could be real things, just remain skeptical the Machado miss would have an impact on Jerry’s decision making.  But honestly who the fuck knows.  If the Padres could steal Machado from us, it’s possible we could steal Harper from the Phillies.

Edited by Chicago White Sox