Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

19 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Good. Hopefully you will then leave.

Will Harper sign with the Phillies or Sox?  I would love to hear your prediction based on your sources.  As far as my comments on WSD, this is all anyone needs to hear...

https://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/breaking-white-sox-dave-is-dead-he-is-now-a-mouse-of-a-man

Edited by Harper2Sox

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't mind them signing Jones or CarGo for RF at this point. Whatever makes the MLB team more watchable....

There is nothing they can do to make this situation any better other than standing pat with the garbage they have already collected (essentially, they should SHUT THE FUCK UP and not make things worse than they already are). Signing more of it to go along with Alonso and Jay will not make this shit more watchable. Adding CarGo or Jones (or fucking Denard Span!!!!!!) is the equivalent of struggling in quicksand while trying to get out. Every new signing is just another twist of the knife. 

What are you going to flip any of these bums for at the deadline? One of those coupon cards that they hand out to you if you get to the game early enough?

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

9 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Will Harper sign with the Phillies or Sox?  I would love to hear your prediction based on your sources.  As far as my comments on WSD, this is all anyone needs to hear...

https://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/breaking-white-sox-dave-is-dead-he-is-now-a-mouse-of-a-man

How many times has Jeff Passan credited you for getting something right?

11 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Shack, thank you for putting yourself out there and giving some sort of inside info through this offseason even though a lot of people accuse you  of lying. 

Any info on  Harper or is it pretty much what we have seen so far in the media?

Appreciate it.

I think if you read between the lines of what Heyman was tweeting tonight, you can get a pretty decent idea of what is really happening. 

8 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Appreciate it.

I think if you read between the lines of what Heyman was tweeting tonight, you can get a pretty decent idea of what is really happening. 

Could you be more specific?  This is a bit vague.  I would love to hear the details.  It would be amazing if Harper is in a Sox uniform by Monday.

Edited by Harper2Sox

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not that I necessarily believe it, but various members of Padres twitter seem to think the Padres offered Bryce a 10 year deal over 300 tonight.

lol where did the Padres get more than half a billion dollars from 

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

lol where did the Padres get more than half a billion dollars from 

Fowler joined a new group to purchase the Padres that included four heirs to the O’Malley family—who owned the Los Angeles Dodgers franchise for five decades. Kevin and Brian O'Malley are the sons of former Dodgers owner Peter O'Malley and grandsons of Walter O'Malley, the owner who moved the Dodgers west from Brooklyn after the 1957 season. Peter and Tom Seidler are the nephews of Peter O’Malley.[4] MLB approved the $800 million sale,[4][5]which completed on August 28, 2012.[6] As much as $200 million of the sale price included the team's 20-percent stake in Fox Sports San Diego, a cable channel that pays the Padres annual fees as part of a $1.2 billion, 20-year agreement.[7] Fowler was named the ownership group's executive chairman and was designated to represent the Padres in all league meetings.[4][8] He became the first locally based control person of the team since founding owner C. Arnholdt Smith.[8]

I have been banging the Harper instead of Machado drum all off-season. I genuinely think the White Sox agree with me wholeheartedly that it is worth letting Machado go to San Diego if it means they stay in the Harper derby. Some maybe think that's gullible and stupidly optimistic, but I look at everything they've done (actually done) and the Machado negotiations seemed like half-ass media games and overblown deals to guys like Jon Jay in an effort to lure Machado in on a cheap deal then turning around and trying to grab Harper. I dont think Machado was ever their primary target.

Nothing has happened in the last week to change my mind. The Sox are all over Harper and just because the blue checkmarks aren't reporting it doesn't mean it isn't so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

I have been banging the Harper instead of Machado drum all off-season. I genuinely think the White Sox agree with me wholeheartedly that it is worth letting Machado go to San Diego if it means they stay in the Harper derby. Some maybe think that's gullible and stupidly optimistic, but I look at everything they've done (actually done) and the Machado negotiations seemed like half-ass media games and overblown deals to guys like Jon Jay in an effort to lure Machado in on a cheap deal then turning around and trying to grab Harper. I dont think Machado was ever their primary target.

Nothing has happened in the last week to change my mind. The Sox are all over Harper and just because the blue checkmarks aren't reporting it doesn't mean it isn't so.

Jay and Alonso easily could have been added later...with Alonso totally superfluous and Jay on a non guaranteed deal similar to Santana’s.  No need at all just to light $13 million on fire without knowing you had a whale secured first.  If that was really the case (thinking it would somehow influence the decision), then why not just go ahead and add Pederson as well, because you weren’t competing this year with either guy but at least you might have created the perception of an enhanced opportunity to compete (especially with Keuchel as well) ?

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Fowler joined a new group to purchase the Padres that included four heirs to the O’Malley family—who owned the Los Angeles Dodgers franchise for five decades. Kevin and Brian O'Malley are the sons of former Dodgers owner Peter O'Malley and grandsons of Walter O'Malley, the owner who moved the Dodgers west from Brooklyn after the 1957 season. Peter and Tom Seidler are the nephews of Peter O’Malley.[4] MLB approved the $800 million sale,[4][5]which completed on August 28, 2012.[6] As much as $200 million of the sale price included the team's 20-percent stake in Fox Sports San Diego, a cable channel that pays the Padres annual fees as part of a $1.2 billion, 20-year agreement.[7] Fowler was named the ownership group's executive chairman and was designated to represent the Padres in all league meetings.[4][8] He became the first locally based control person of the team since founding owner C. Arnholdt Smith.[8]

A $600 million investment from them is probably half the value of their entire franchise. That's pretty crazy. 

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

A $600 million investment from them is probably half the value of their entire franchise. That's pretty crazy. 

There’s no doubt it’s a huge but calculated risk...especially not knowing exactly what you have on the starting pitching side and not having the ability to outbid the big boys in next year’s FA market for top veteran starters.

They already went through 2015/16 and the massive disappointment that turned out to be for all involved.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Jay and Alonso easily could have been added later...with Alonso totally superfluous and Jay on a non guaranteed deal similar to Santana’s.  No need at all just to light $13 million on fire without knowing you had a whale secured first.  If that was really the case (thinking it would somehow influence the decision), then why not just go ahead and add Pederson as well, because you weren’t competing this year with either guy but at least you might have created the perception of an enhanced opportunity to compete (especially with Keuchel as well) ?

As long as Alonso's option doesn't vest, which it probably wont since he wont play a defensive position, I think there's a chance the $10m they pay him actually turns out to be an OK use of funds. Same applies to Jay. Its not like those guys aren't MLB-caliber players or taking time away from someone we actually care about, I mean who is there to care about? The minors got decimated last year. Everyone except for Eloy and Cease is a corpse. I dont mind giving Jay and Alonso some time while we wait for one or two once-heralded minor leaguers to try and reanimate.

Nobody wants to view those moves outside the context of Manny Machado but I think its about time for us to do just that.

Would I have liked to see the Sox drop $300m on Manny Machado? Sure. Its not my money. Do I really think Machado is that great of a ballplayer? Not really. Would I sacrifice a chance at Bryce Harper to sign Manny Machado to what is honestly going to wind up being too much money? Absolutely not. There is a better class of ballplayer available than Machado and I do not think Harper is going to cost that much more to acquire.

Everyone's ready to burn down everything and salt the fields right now and I'll be right behind you if Harper goes elsewhere...but something is telling me the Sox are in the driver's seat when it comes to Harper. Same way the Sox were publicly all over Machado the Phillies are with Harper. Fear the team that is not being talked about, the Sox could easily be that team.

"CWSpalehose" expressed his suspicion that Middleton and Reinsdorf have colluded, by agreeing that the Sox would not pursue Harper, if the Phillies promised not to pursue Machado. That scenario is intriguing because it provides a plausible explanation for, what otherwise is their inexplicable abandonment of their determined attempts to sign Harper.    

I've been reading the rules regarding MLB collusion. They are not the clearest, or easiest set of rules to understand. Would a "gentlemen's agreement" between 2 owners, regarding their respective player acquisition targets, clearly be considered collusion? It's one thing to conspire regarding limiting the length, or value, of contracts, but quite another for one owner to simply say, I won't pursue X, if you won't pursue Y. Is there a legal mind here, who could clarify this issue?