Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

As a fan there really isn’t anything you can do. As it is, the White Sox fan base has sent a message loud and clear. Declining attendance every season since 2007 except one year when it was up slightly when they slashed ticket prices. Lowest TV ratings in the league. Radio station gets rid of them in bankruptcy because hardly anyone listens. 

All these things, plus 6 losing years in a row. No playoffs in over a decade. 

These clowns still think the White Sox are a destination. How the fuck are they going to get a player to take $50 million less in guaranteed money to come to their park when they cannot even get a fan to come to a game? 

KW took over in 2001. The Sox had one of the youngest teams in baseball. Won the division. Farm system ranked first...ESPN even knew they existed. Peter Gammons said not onky would they own Chicago, they would own MLB. One season they did. Other than hat mostly mediocrity. The one constant has been the decision makers. Anyone  who thought they would actually pay Harper after they didn’t pay Machado wasn’t paying attention. Anyone who thinks these guys can oversee a team that wins consistently for years, didn’t pay attention. The team needs to change. Hahn has admitted that. But what he hasn’t admitted is th biggest change needed, is not trading with the Cubs, or going over your international money pool. It is getting new people to make decisions. These dopes have had more than thei share of chances.Sell the team JR. Spare yourself the embarrassment 4 years from now when the Sox sneaks to the second wild card spot and you have to tell everyone they were wrong the Sox needed to sign a superstar in his prime. The new owner will know what to do with your partners in crime.

That's because they make money whether we show up or not. This is why I think we as fans need to embarrass them at games, at conventions, on Twitter, in the news, etc. It is working big time right now. Chuck Garfein who is a Sox mouthpiece wrote about how angry we are and tried to calm us down. Laurence Holmes told Hahn Sox fans are pissed and how many have voiced their anger on radio and Twitter. National outlets are writing stories. The Padres front office threw shade at our FO. We just have to keep it up until they put a winner on the field. 

• Love 2

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

With all due respect, you have nearly 10k posts in 5 years on a Sox message board. You are emotionally invested whether you see it or not. I invest heavily financially in this team for myself and my family. They ask for my money and my emotional support nearly every day. So, when they don't hold their end of the bargain, I will hold them personally accountable. Of course we all know they fail in FA, but they damn near promised us things are different now. Hahn specifically asked for our trust again and it backfired. 

Never said I wasn't emotionally invested, just that I am in control of my emotions. Stomping ranting raving kicking screaming like toddlers will not do a damn bit of good. Its never once worked with JR since he took ownership so to think it will do any good now is being delusional. This should be obvious to everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, KiwiSox said:

As long as Alonso's option doesn't vest, which it probably wont since he wont play a defensive position, I think there's a chance the $10m they pay him actually turns out to be an OK use of funds. Same applies to Jay. Its not like those guys aren't MLB-caliber players

My prediction for next year is that John Jay retires because he can't even get a minor league deal and Yonder Alonso gets a minor league deal late in the off season.

1 hour ago, BlackSox13 said:

That would make sense. :)

I never really had my hopes set too high so it was very easy for me to take the bad news and move on. I literally shrugged my shoulders when I first read Machado signed with SD.

Pretty much my reaction. I just laughed and said so soo Sox. I honestly think Hahn knew since soxfest what was gonna happen. Go check his interviews. I got blasted for it... And there it is...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Never said I wasn't emotionally invested, just that I am in control of my emotions. Stomping ranting raving kicking screaming like toddlers will not do a damn bit of good. Its never once worked with JR since he took ownership so to think it will do any good now is being delusional. This should be obvious to everyone.

I dont are anyone going crazy, so there is no issue with people controlling emotions. Your post insinuates that people shouldn't be emotionally involved with the team as there are real life things to worry about. 

And yes, it does good to complain. If it didn't, Hahn wouldn't be on a damage control tour. Sox fans have never tried to embarrass the org, we just don't go to the games. Now that money is going into their pockets no matter what, not attending games doesn't work. The White Sox did the rebuild in the first place because the fans wanted it. They've changed how they've operated because the fans wanted it. Now we just need them to spend on quality and not quantity. 

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm never letting my hopes get high again for a big signing. And for anyone who does, I will refer them to the Machado thread.

Honestly, no one should until there is a new owner.

I have to think that the next time around, the FO will have complete and total silence about any free agents and will come out of nowhere and strike a deal. 

7 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I have to think that the next time around, the FO will have complete and total silence about any free agents and will come out of nowhere and strike a deal. 

Sorry, but I'm not with you on that one. I have no trust in this FO and I won't until they give me reason to trust them! Although, we didn't hear anything about Preston Tucker and he's now a  member of the White Sox.

Edited by Saufley
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I don’t expect a next time since they have shown their true colors regarding attempting to acquire the top targets but I would agree with you that they will try to be completely silent on free agent signings in the future since this offseason has backfired on them so hilariously.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If the Padres sign both guys, it will make Hahn, KW, & Jerry look like the biggest jokes ever.  Machado was already bad enough, but getting Harper would have to be those guys’ personal nightmare.  How can you even pretend your were serious when baby San Diego came in stole both of these guys from under you?  Hopefully our front office & Jerry wake the fuck up and do what’s right for the franchise.

The reasons I think it will be San Diego are this:

1) Unless its a smoke screen, they've been reported to still being interested. Plus rumblings that maybe they made an offer

2) Best farm system in baseball + Manny Machado now.

3) Close to Harper's home in Vegas

4) Insanely good weather in San Diego

5) The only other team seemingly with real interest in Harper are the Phillies, who he may not want to sign with.

I hope I'm wrong and the Sox surprise everyone with this signing. This franchise needs it. They need to stop running the White Sox like a small market team.

Edited by Sarava
  • Haha 1

I just don’t get why the Sox aren’t even being used by Boras as leverage if they aren’t in on Bryce. We know they at least made a semi- competitive offer for Manny so you’d think he’d be using the fact they were willing to offer up to 350 potentially as some leverage against the Phillies. Just seems odd 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MyNamesRod said:

I just don’t get why the Sox aren’t even being used by Boras as leverage if they aren’t in on Bryce. We know they at least made a semi- competitive offer for Manny so you’d think he’d be using the fact they were willing to offer up to 350 potentially as some leverage against the Phillies. Just seems odd 

Probably because the Sox got ahead of it and had Bob say they're out. I'm sure the past few Heyman tweets are from Boras camp hinting that the Sox are on the fringe and could come back if the Phillies don't pony up.

Just now, Greek-konerko said:

Boras using sox to make phillies increase their offer. Nothing to see here

Bingo. We didn't want to go over 250, no way we get to 325. And if we are out/Nats are out and the Padres aren't all that interested, then who is left? The Giants and Phillies. If both say we will pay you 275 then what can Boras do other than pick one?

7 hours ago, Lillian said:

Regarding this notion that we shouldn't be following this Harper free agency, because we are only setting ourselves up for another huge disappointment, I have a completely different perspective. My interest in these details is not merely to know whether, or not, the Sox acquire at least one super star, out of this crazy off season. I really want to know what kind of an organization it is, to which I have given my allegiance, as a fan. Is the owner really not interested in winning, but only in making money? Is Hahn really disingenuous and, or incompetent? The answer to those questions can only be discerned with some knowledge of how these negotiations are being conducted. So, here I am, still following "Harper's Folly". Don't waste your breath, cautioning me not to set myself up, to have my heart broken. At this point, I don't care as much about acquiring Harper, as I do about acquiring some understanding of what the Hell is going on, here!

Jerry Reinsdorf is a businessman who is only interested in making money, why is this not sledgehammer obvious to all of you at this point. Guy is from Brooklyn and only became familiar with the Sox after graduating from Northwestern and acting as Bill Veeck’s tax lawyer. 

Like the good fortune of drafting MJ, he was able to buy the Sox for $19mm and has a passing interest on whether they win or not, only the bottom line. Good for him, but not sure why Sox fans continually fool themselves into thinking he’s anything else than driven for profit.

Again, 2005 was luck, nothing more. 

• Like 1

Bryce Harper will never sign with the White Sox. Also think it’s funny that a team who expressly said they would not negotiate win Boras in the past is being used as leverage in the Phillies negotiations... they’re not even in the dialogue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shago said:

Jerry Reinsdorf is a businessman who is only interested in making money, why is this not sledgehammer obvious to all of you at this point. Guy is from Brooklyn and only became familiar with the Sox after graduating from Northwestern and acting as Bill Veeck’s tax lawyer. 

Like the good fortune of drafting MJ, he was able to buy the Sox for $19mm and has a passing interest on whether they win or not, only the bottom line. Good for him, but not sure why Sox fans continually fool themselves into thinking he’s anything else than driven for profit.

Again, 2005 was luck, nothing more. 

Sorry I'm not gonna sit here and let you try to undermine that 2005 team by saying it was just luck.  Wire to wire is more than luck, 11-1 in the playoffs is more than luck.  Did they have luck?  Yes all good teams do.  But to say it was all luck is puerile cub fan BS levels of wrong.

Edited by Worldbreaker Palk

Just now, Worldbreaker Palk said:

Sorry I'm not gonna sit here and let you try to undermine that 2005 team by saying it was just luck.  Wire to wire is more than luck, 11-1 in the playoffs is more than luck.  Did they have luck?  Yes all good teams do.  But to say it was all luck is purile cub fan BS levels of wrong.

Not luck that the team was awesome and won a championship. They were awesome... luck that the front office hit lighting in a bottle and put a winning team together. They were projected 4th in the division 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, shago said:

Bryce Harper will never sign with the White Sox. Also think it’s funny that a team who expressly said they would not negotiate win Boras in the past is being used as leverage in the Phillies negotiations... they’re not even in the dialogue.

Bryce Harper will take the offer of whoever offers the most money, as Manny did and as most big time free agents do and especially Boras free agents.

If that happens to be the White Sox, he will 100% sign. It's part of his responsibility to his peers to take the highest offer.

Will it be the Sox? Well I agree with you there. I'd be absolutely floored if that happened.

1 minute ago, shago said:

Not luck that the team was awesome and won a championship. They were awesome... luck that the front office hit lighting in a bottle and put a winning team together. They were projected 4th in the division 

Got ya!  understood sorry for the misinterpretation!

I also credit Ozzie quite a bit for that season as the off season moves made that year just flew in the face of how KW operated.  The whole small ball bit and everything, that was all Ozzie, and JR kicked him to the curb.

Edited by Worldbreaker Palk