Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

With the exception of the collusion scenario, I still don't understand how the Sox could not still be covertly involved. No one has yet to offer a plausible explanation for why the front office would have made such obvious and publicized overtures toward Harper, when this year's free agency began, and then suddenly bow out of their earlier pursuit of a marquee star. Hahn may be some of the things which we accuse him of, but he isn't stupid. This still does not make sense to me. The only thing that explain it would be that the Sox colluded with Middleton, and promised not to pursue Harper. Otherwise, I have to think that they are still in this thing, albeit as quietly and surrepticiously, as possible.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

With the exception of the collusion scenario, I still don't understand how the Sox could not still be covertly involved. No one has yet to offer a plausible explanation for why the front office would have made such obvious and publicized overtures toward Harper, when this year's free agency began, and then suddenly bow out of their earlier pursuit of a marquee star. Hahn may be some of the things which we accuse him of, but he isn't stupid. This still does not make sense to me.

Maybe “stupid” isn’t the correct word but what would you call thinking non-guaranteed incentive-based money is better than guaranteed money in a contract offer?  Maybe “out of touch with reality”?

Edited by Harper2Sox

8 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Maybe “stupid” isn’t the correct word but what would you call thinking non-guaranteed incentive-based money is better than guaranteed money in a contract offer?  Maybe “out of touch with reality”?

Perhaps, however it still does not explain how, or why, they would not be pursuing Harper. They had to know that he was going to get more than Machado and that it would likely take a record deal. That assumption seemed pretty universally believed, when this process began. Yet, there was Hahn, with all of his bluster and bravado, insisting this was a new era and that they would be aggressively pursuing a big free agent. Sorry, I just don't get it.

Edited by Lillian

7 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Perhaps, however it still does not explain how, or why, they would not be pursuing Harper. They had to know that he was going to get more than Machado and that it would likely take a record deal. That assumption seemed pretty universally believed, when this process began. Yet, there was Hahn, with all of his bluster and bravado, insisting this was a new era and that they would be aggressively pursuing a big free agent. Sorry, I just don't get it.

I agree.  It was widely discussed that both guys would be looking for $300+ million over 10 years since Stanton set the standard most recently.  Why bother meeting with Harper early in the process?  If they truly thought $250 million was going to be enough to land either player, they are delusional.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

It's been their half assed approach since the strike in 1994. Everything has to go right to win. Players have to sacrifice pay for the honor of being a White Sox. 

When the 6 divisions were made, it seemed a slam dunk with where the game was going financially the Sox would dominate the Central.  They are the only team who has not. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's been their half assed approach since the strike in 1994. Everything has to go right to win. Players have to sacrifice pay for the honor of being a White Sox. 

When the 6 divisions were made, it seemed a slam dunk with where the game was going financially the Sox would dominate the Central.  They are the only team who has not. 

God this is such a good point and it kills me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Well, we’re still and always the preferred pillow landing spot for future Hall of Farmers and castoff veterans who were once All-Star players...as long as it’s at least 3-5 years past their prime performing years.

Manny Ramirez’s contract to finish out the season with us being one of the prime examples of desperation.

Griffey Jr.’s finish to 2008 is pretty much the only one we can look back fondly on, or Tom Seaver’s in the 80’s.

Or the marketing gimmicks like Bo and MJ.

Edited by caulfield12

I really dont want to get my hopes up, but I could see us signing Harper. The White Sox offered Machado 10-years, $350 million IF he accomplished everything the White Sox wanted him to. With the marketability of Harper, I could see the White Sox making that $350 million guaranteed, instead of all the stipulations. To me, the bigger issue becomes if the Phillies are also willing to go $350 million, because I think he would choose Philly because of the win-now factor.

13 minutes ago, Ben Waffleson said:

I think were gonna sign harper

Brian Harper is still a free agent, and we definitely are going to need catching help at some point this year.

Or Ron...just for a promotional giveaway night.  Bobbleheads with him playing baseball in a Bulls’ Jersey might draw over 18,000 fans for a Sunday Family Day in midsummer.  If he’s too embarrassed, we can always go to Derek as our backup option.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I really dont want to get my hopes up, but I could see us signing Harper. The White Sox offered Machado 10-years, $350 million IF he accomplished everything the White Sox wanted him to. With the marketability of Harper, I could see the White Sox making that $350 million guaranteed, instead of all the stipulations. To me, the bigger issue becomes if the Phillies are also willing to go $350 million, because I think he would choose Philly because of the win-now factor.

I think if the money was around the same, he would pick the White Sox. He lives in Vegas, Spring Training in AZ would be a lot more desirable than in FL. 

Sadly, we will never know.

4 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Do you read the articles before posting them? 

Sure.

So, according to the article, they’ll be in or out on another Terible Tuesday...take it or leave it.

That really makes no sense, unless Harper absolutely is refusing to sign at even $350 million with the Phillies.

Where else is he going to go that can afford to guarantee that much money upfront...and will fairly happily give him an opt out after 3-4 years?

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Sure.

So, according to the article, they’ll be in or out on another Terible Tuesday...take it or leave it.

That really makes no sense, unless Harper absolutely is refusing to sign at even $350 million with the Phillies.

Where else is he going to go that can afford to guarantee that much?

People just really need to stop thinking they have any idea what these teams can afford.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

People just really need to stop thinking they have any idea what these teams can afford.

Well yeah, conventional wisdom is the reason 95% of the baseball world was shocked the Padres signed him.  Orel Hershiser couldn’t get over it yesterday.  Of course, he’s an NL West “homer” who also believes Harper’s headed to the Giants as well.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure.

Where else is he going to go that can afford to guarantee that much money upfront...and will fairly happily give him an opt out after 3-4 years?

Apologies for my snarky response, that headline of the article is just terrible and clickbait-y.

It's not your fault AFAIK you didn't write the headline nor the article.  😀

Edited by GermanSoxFan

9 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Apologies for my snarky response, that headline of the article is just terrible and clickbait-y.

It's not your fault AFAIK you didn't write the headline nor the article.

Now THAT would be quite the story to tell the grandkids, especially sitting here in China at 2:55 a.m. on a Sunday night.

Ukrainian troll farms!

Hanley Ramirez just signed a minor league deal with the Indians...that would have been another classic Sox move.

Maybe turning their own fanbase against the team was Hahn’s brilliant plan all along to unite the team, like in Major League?  And hey, it worked in 2005, Everyone was projecting us for 3rd through last place in the division after losing Ordonez, Lee and Jose Valentin.

The negative stuff always stands out more," (Kris) Bryant said. "Negativity sells. People want to read that stuff. I think that's why I'm at where I'm at in baseball. I read one thing and it just motivates me, and it [success] just shuts that person up or proves them wrong. I've been doing that my whole life, so bring it on."

The same goes for the Cubs, who also enter this season with doubters. Las Vegas oddsmakers project them to have their lowest win total in five seasons.

"We see some of these projections," Bryant said. "They are selling us totally short. That's not a good thing to do, because when our backs are against the wall, we turn it on. It's going to be an exciting season."

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1