Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

And I will say this for shack...everything he's shared on here or told me about has been accurate regarding Manny.  Never once did he say it was a done deal.  What he did say is that he strongly believed the Sox would get him AS LONG AS they didn't blow the negotiations.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

And what I believe is they were told they have to match a 300 million dollar offer, and the Sox said "no thanks, we're good with our current offer" with the thought that Lozano was bluffing that they really had 300.  And yes, shack told me shortly before the announcement what the Sox thought the Padres offer was at.

What did they think it was?

12 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

I am not shack, but I believe they got one final chance to match or better the Padres offer and shot it down....

The best summary I can give is that sometime about 2 weeks ago Lozano received an offer from the Padres that was higher than the White Sox's offer. I don't believe he told them what the Padres offer was, but he told both the Phillies and White Sox that there was an offer higher than the White Sox's offer.

On Monday, Lozano presented all 3 teams with a number he would sign for, regardless of the earlier numbers. He said Machado would sign for a $300 million guarantee. The Phillies said this was too rich for them. The White Sox increased their offer too the 250/8 that we heard, but would go no farther. The Padres said "Welcome to San Diego". One of those was the correct reply - if you bid against yourself by $10 million, that's not a big amount to get the contract actually done.

11 minutes ago, iamshack said:

I honestly don’t know what their intentions would have been. I believe they did not anticipate the Padres offer was what it was, and I texted Fathom like 10 minutes before the deal was announced to that end. 

I did not spend much time posting on Soxtalk during the last several months, but I was extremely critical of their negotiation strategy in other areas in the weeks leading up to last Tuesday, and there are members of Soxtalk who can vouch for that. 

I will vouch for this. I personally actually believed they were handling things well. But I was not aware of the so-called $300M ceiling. Honestly, up to the Padres final offer, they probably were in the lead and handled it well. But they didn't close and that's all that matters at the end of the day. 

1 minute ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

I will vouch for this. I personally actually believed they were handling things well. But I was not aware of the so-called $300M ceiling. Honestly, up to the Padres final offer, they probably were in the lead and handled it well. But they didn't close and that's all that matters at the end of the day. 

Which is why I think the 300 million ceiling is and was total BS and just KW trying to justify how they blew the negotiations.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

And I will say this for shack...everything he's shared on here or told me about has been accurate regarding Manny.  Never once did he say it was a done deal.  What he did say is that he strongly believed the Sox would get him AS LONG AS they didn't blow the negotiations.

And Fathom was telling me “watch out for SD” and I told him 20 times Manny didn’t want to play there.

He was right. 

2 minutes ago, iamshack said:

If we just limit this to what was out on twitter, it appears Hector Gomez had their basic offer back in late January. So they did try to get this done earlier. The issue is they didn’t close and eventually they left the door open for someone like the Padres, who did. 

We should all know that Lozano was undoubtedly throwing all sorts of nonsense at them, which they were left to try to navigate the best they could. 

My guess is there were some things that they had sort of successfully busted as BS, and they thought the Padres’ offer was BS as well. 

Unfortunately, it was not. 

Appreciate the information. Very sad situation and unfortunate because as you noted this was the opportune time to strike and change the franchise for the next 5 years at least and their desire to not want to over spend hurt them.

17 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

His point is the information provided trickles down from the front office. The Sox were shocked they didn't land Manny. If the Sox were confident and that trickles to those providing information to SoxTalk, what can anyone do? 

Given they were $50M short on the guarantee, they shouldn't have been that confident, but they were. But SD likely stepped up to the plate the day before he signed or that morning and MM/Lozano pounced. I have no doubt up until that point, MM was headed to Chicago. Unfortunately for the Sox, it tends to happen too much. Off the top of my head ARod, Vizquel (much smaller scale contract-wise), Torii Hunter, obviously Machdado, and even on the trade front, Miguel Cabrera. There are probably others I'm leaving out.

It all happened at a 2 hour lunch that day...that's been reported out officially by the SD Union Tribune writers.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

It all happened at a 2 hour lunch that day...that's been reported out officially by the SD Union Tribune writers.

The thing that sucks is if Nightengale is to be believed, the Padres weren't going to up their offer from 300 if someone matched it.

25 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Dylan cease sucks

21 minutes ago, shipps said:

I am so angry at the Sox. I am negative everything with them. I don’t even know if I want to continue being a fan of this team. 

But this statement sucks and is just flat out wrong. You lose credibility with this. 

You are banished from my mind good sir! 

Who is worth getting excited about? Moncada and Anderson arr hopeless, Giolito and Lopez are clearly not cut out for being major league starters, Kopech is hurt and Cease's injury red flags are terrifying.

Robert, Adolfo, Madrigal, Burger, Dunning...they all went back this year. Madrigal maybe unfairly, he's the one we can still expect to be something, but the rest just blew. Personally I think Blake Rutherford has to potential to be a really special player but not many share my optimism regarding him.

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

I always thought the Sox preferred Machado and was the more attainable of the two. Maybe not.

I would think so too.

Expected to be cheaper that Harper (going into the offseason as well), better positional fit, spent money and a prospect to bring in close friends.

Edited by soxfan2014

19 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Point taken. 

At the same time, when the forum has degenerated into something where posters with a positive outlook are going to be insulted, mocked, etc., then the forum has become something it shouldn’t have, regardless of the level of disappointment in the FO at the time. 

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Who is worth getting excited about? Moncada and Anderson arr hopeless, Giolito and Lopez are clearly not cut out for being major league starters, Kopech is hurt and Cease's injury red flags are terrifying.

Robert, Adolfo, Madrigal, Burger, Dunning...they all went back this year. Madrigal maybe unfairly, he's the one we can still expect to be something, but the rest just blew. Personally I think Blake Rutherford has to potential to be a really special player but not many share my optimism regarding him.

Adolfo and Dunning has quite good, albeit short years. 

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I always thought the Sox preferred Machado and was the more attainable of the two. Maybe not.

I always thought Harper was their dream acquisition while Manny was more attainable.  Who would you want as the face of your organization, the most popular player in baseball or someone who just disgrace themselves with their actions in the postseason during a contract season?

• Like 1