Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

5 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Who is worth getting excited about? Moncada and Anderson arr hopeless, Giolito and Lopez are clearly not cut out for being major league starters, Kopech is hurt and Cease's injury red flags are terrifying.

Robert, Adolfo, Madrigal, Burger, Dunning...they all went back this year. Madrigal maybe unfairly, he's the one we can still expect to be something, but the rest just blew. Personally I think Blake Rutherford has to potential to be a really special player but not many share my optimism regarding him.

LOL!!!!!!!!! 

Just now, bmags said:

Adolfo and Dunning has quite good, albeit short years. 

I just am not as enthused about guys who can't stay on the field as others are. Nobody likes to talk about how injury prone Eloy has been, I think we all just kind of pretend it doesn't exist and hope it goes away when he gets to the majors.

I'm still more upbeat on the Sox overall than a lot of people, but man they really blew it with their minor league prospect acquisitions. Yikes.

6 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Who is worth getting excited about? Moncada and Anderson arr hopeless, Giolito and Lopez are clearly not cut out for being major league starters, Kopech is hurt and Cease's injury red flags are terrifying.

Robert, Adolfo, Madrigal, Burger, Dunning...they all went back this year. Madrigal maybe unfairly, he's the one we can still expect to be something, but the rest just blew. Personally I think Blake Rutherford has to potential to be a really special player but not many share my optimism regarding him.

I do

6 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

I agree with you fathom. 100%. I have been highly criticized for that belief (and one other belief) by several people. @iamshack can vouch for that. LOL

This isn't something anyone has said to me, but I also personally believe the Sox were way too confident in Manny wanting to play for the White Sox.  They were never in a position to have "home field advantage", and the fact that they didn't get a chance to match shows the Jay/Alonso acquisitions didn't give them that advantage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

I just am not as enthused about guys who can't stay on the field as others are. Nobody likes to talk about how injury prone Eloy has been, I think we all just kind of pretend it doesn't exist and hope it goes away when he gets to the majors.

I'm still more upbeat on the Sox overall than a lot of people, but man they really blew it with their minor league prospect acquisitions. Yikes.

Well, worst case scenario, we're still somewhere between 6th (BA) and 13th (Law)...maybe BP and Fangraphs have them higher, MLB Pipeline, etc.   Hard to keep track of all the different rankings these days.

If we get something from Flores or Lambert, that would be a huge boost, because most of us are already counting out Hansen.  Dunning's the big wild card, he SEEMS like he should definitely be a solid 4/5 starter.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It all happened at a 2 hour lunch that day...that's been reported out officially by the SD Union Tribune writers.

I was actually not aware of that. Appreciate you sharing that with me. This is interesting. It probably furthers a point just made in this thread that the Sox did not get to counter with a final offer after the SD meeting.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

This isn't something anyone has said to me, but I also personally believe the Sox were way too confident in Manny wanting to play for the White Sox.  They were never in a position to have "home field advantage", and the fact that they didn't get a chance to match shows the Jay/Alonso acquisitions didn't give them that advantage.

They did get a chance to match, that is a poor summary of how it went down. Lozano on Monday gave all 3 teams the $300 million number as something they would sign if the team accepted. That was a drop from whatever their ask was earlier in the offseason - they dropped it into a reasonable range and were waiting for one team to say yes. If 2 had said yes, then they might have negotiated. 1 team said yes, the other 2 teams said no. They had a chance to say yes at that offer. 

• Haha 1

I think they didnt get a chance to match because when you dick  around for almost 2 months the other side gets sick of your bullshit.

Any good will the Sox had they burned when they didnt want to negotiate and felt they could sit on their offer.

I honestly feel if they made their final offer in January machado signs here.

It likely helped and would have been something that swayed him if the money was close. But it was never making up for a $50M difference in guaranteed money. 

14 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

My bad. I didn’t know you had a bunch of shitty hot takes in the chamber. I’m just gonna go to bed because I’m old and don’t have the energy to reason with you. Have a nice night. 

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think they didnt get a chance to match because when you dick  around for almost 2 months the other side gets sick of your bullshit.

Any good will the Sox had they burned when they didnt want to negotiate and felt they could sit on their offer.

I honestly feel if they made their final offer in January machado signs here.

Yeah, this was my fear as well. Eventually, parties simply get fed up with each other when they are both dug in.