Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Robert could get there, too, if he can hit 20-25 homers...he definitely has the frame and leverage to do it if Alexei could pull it off at about 165-170 pounds.

Adolfo would be my third choice...his defense will be a bit limited due to speed, but he could put together a huge season of outfield assists like Avi and Eaton have recorded in recent years.

Basabe, Rutherford and Gonzalez would be tied for 4th, although they seem like 1.5-2.5 guys at the current moment.  One could break out in unexpected fashion, although I certainly wouldn’t bet a Greg house on it.

Let’s not forget we likely get two more shots with high first round picks...one pitcher (to replace Rodon) and one position player in all likelihood.

Yeah forgot about Robert for a bit. He's kind of an afterthought because the dude seems to be made of glass. If he can stay healthy, you're right. I hope they both develop into stars so that we can bring back the "Fine Cubans" Signature that was once here with El Duque and El Conde. Loved that one. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah forgot about Robert for a bit. He's kind of an afterthought because the dude seems to be made of glass. If he can stay healthy, you're right. I hope they both develop into stars so that we can bring back the "Fine Cubans" Signature that was once here with El Duque and El Conde. Loved that one. 

El Gran Titan de Bronze was also Contreras’ nickname...a noted Cuban cigar manufacturer.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

Is this new passan info related to the white Sox interest in Joc a few weeks ago? Bc that would make a ton of sense...

I have zero interest in Joc as a back up plan to either of those two, now as a second piece to one of them it would not have been a bad idea 

Even so, the fact that the entire rebuild depends on Moncada or Robert becoming a top 10 player in baseball makes it iffy at best. That is why landing Machado was so important. It allowed for some leeway in outcomes for those guys. Now that leeway is gone. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

The near certainty of Machado or Harper being a top 20 player in any given year was exactly what this team needed. It mitigated the inherent risk in extrapolating the essentially unknowable performance of all the 'ute. All it took was money. And, many would argue, a very wise investment of money because it was buying.

The shame of it was that it was the there for the taking this year. The big boys were all essentially absent and hamstrung because of a variety of real factors. This was the year that being the high bidder (and a high bid that would be RELATIVELY reasonable) was possible. All it would take is the resolve to commit to a slightly revised model.

Of course, easy to spend other people's money. Surely I'm not factoring in the unparalleled success that our Sox have achieved doing things the tried and true Sox way. ;)

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If the Dodgers were to acquire Harper, which one of Pollock and Pederson are they more likely to try to move? My guess would be Pederson, as he is best suited for a corner OF spot, which belongs to Harper.

Easily Joc. Also by rule I don’t think you can trade someone you sign as a free agent until a certain date (unless they agree to it)

Edited by fathom

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If the Dodgers were to acquire Harper, which one of Pollock and Pederson are they more likely to try to move? My guess would be Pederson, as he is best suited for a corner OF spot, which belongs to Harper.

They can't deal Pollock until a certain date since he signed this offseason.

I don't want Pederson though. Not without the Machado move.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

And what's worse, is that when it comes to developing a 6+WAR player the only position player in the org capable of that is Moncada. Eloy is going to top out in the 3-4 WAR range because of his defensive limitations. Moncada is the key to this rebuild, IMO. He has to be a star otherwise it won't work at all. Even if Moncada is a 4 WAR player, it isn't good enough. The bad news is that the success or failure is all on his shoulders, and that is a lot of weight for him to bear. 

Why is having a 6 WAR player a requirement to being a WS contender? Dodgers (not including half a season of Machado, esp when he was well short of a 6 WAR pace in a dodgers uni) , Yankees, Cubs, and other contenders didn’t have one last year.

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Why is having a 6 WAR player a requirement to being a WS contender? Dodgers (not including half a season of Machado, esp when he was well short of a 6 WAR pace in a dodgers uni) , Yankees, Cubs, and other contenders didn’t have one last year.

It isn't a requirement, but it really helps. 

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Do the Sox have a single 3 WAR player?

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Let’s just call that player a star or even a “superstar.” And move it back down to 5 fWAR as the cutoff.

We can cite a Trout or Harper failing to succeed in the playoffs, but you just can’t compete with the quality depth of the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox and Astros.

24 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

They can't deal Pollock until a certain date since he signed this offseason.

I don't want Pederson though. Not without the Machado move.

I don't want him either. I was just trying to brace myself for another "stupid" move by this front office.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It isn't a requirement, but it really helps. 

Sure but this isn’t a black and white thing. People act as if losing out on Machado means the rebuild is destined to fail and there’s no way to build a WS contender from here. That’s ridiculous. Contenders come in all shapes and sizes (Royals title team was built much differently than last year’s Red Sox, for example).