Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

top 300? man, this just makes it the perfect situation for the White Sox to be for Bryce Harper what the Padres were for Machado. Give him the 330ish over 10 that he wants and END it. He's worth that and more to the White Sox.

That being said, it makes too much sense for it to happen.

That's what I said when Machado signed. Give him the same contract he received only 10% higher. Give him the 5 year opt out. If he opts out in 5 years, your team is supposed to be stacked then anyway, re-allocate the money. 

If they were serious about signing them, this is a discount. Machado was right at projection. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

But two years before the team is ready to compete in all likelihood. There won’t be other free agents available that are capable of putting together all star seasons at age 28-30 entering the 2021 season? I find that hard to believe.

True...but how  often do you see a superstar make or break a team in the first year he's on that team?  It usually takes a couple of years for everything to click...the new face of the franchise to click.  Signing him now burns that "wind-up" year before the official window hits.  You make that happen in the year Eloy comes up and hopefully rakes, then maybe you have an outside shot at stealing a post-season birth from someone and REALLY jump starting things.  That's why it wasn't the who as much as the now in this particular situation for us.  

Also...no offense to any other top FA that is actually obtainable, but there aren't many faces like Harper's.  There will be other studs available, but Arenado seems likely to re-sign, Trout will cost a billion dollars, there's pitchers but those usually settle with top contending teams, and by the time the future rolls around, all the big money teams will be in the mix for the top available FAs and that's when it will be make or break time for us.  It's the NOW factor that ruled the moment for the White Sox this off season--they controlled their own fate.  If they fail on Harper, they will have to get very lucky somehow to have all the elements align like they are now.    

Edited by FT35

I was watching MLBN and Eric Byrnes was talking about free agency. Obviously for the most part, he was a hack as a player, and kind of out there anyway, but he went through it and gave some perspective of what players think. With Harper, training in AZ is a big bonus since he lives in LV. Playing for LA or SF would be ideal. Playing for the Phillies and spending 6 weeks of spring training in FL is not ideal. All things being relatively the same, the Sox would have an advantage over Philadelphia with him.

He did say Trout would be the opposite. Philadelphia could be sitting pretty for him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Offer 10/335 and make him say no

That is a no brainer right now if the White Sox were a serious franchise.

If they won't pay that then I am finally in the camp that JR likes his one trophy and now the White Sox and Bulls will be irrelevant for years to come. 

These two guys are the exact pieces a team like them need.  The Padres realized this and signed Machado.  Yes it could a year or two early but these options are not coming along again in the near future.

The White Sox payroll will not get above $125M any time soon.

I really cannot comprehend how poorly the JR front offices are run.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

But they won't be....

And there would be no excuse for it.  They were obviously interested in him at one time.  Unless Boras has told them that he will not sign for less than something that is ridiculous, they should still be in on him.

The hopeful side of me says that they learned their lesson with Machado and are keeping any negotiations quiet.  The realistic side of me says they've already written themselves off.

13 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

These situations are so similar that there should be zero doubt that the Sox and Phillies colluded.

If the Sox don't make an effort to get Harper, at these better than anticipated costs, that is the only thing that could explain it. If they promised the Phillies not to pursue Harper, they wouldn't have much choice.

Edited by Lillian

38 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Bogaerts too, but the critical need is likely to be one veteran starting pitcher...a #2, at worse a 3 (feel like Im describing whatbTodd Ritchie was supposed to be back in the day.)

I would love Bogaerts next off season. If Tim doesn’t take a step forward, the Sox gotta be in on him. There’s a lot of solid free agents next year so that’ll really be telling as to whether the front office will spend to help the core. They won’t have an excuse of being a year too early anymore. They should be all over guys like Bogaerts, Goldschmidt, marcel ozuna (if he bounces back)

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

If the Sox don't make an effort to get Harper, that is the only thing that could explain it. If they promised the Phillies not to pursue Harper, they wouldn't have much choice.

Well I mean they could still go after him. What, would the Phillies complain to the league that we broke their illegal agreement?

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

If the Sox don't make an effort to get Harper, at these better than anticipated costs, that is the only thing that could explain it. If they promised the Phillies not to pursue Harper, they wouldn't have much choice.

I think the thing that best explains what has happened so far is that Jerry is more interested in artificially suppressing player salaries than in building a winning team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If the Sox don't make an effort to get Harper, that is the only thing that could explain it. If they promised the Phillies not to pursue Harper, they wouldn't have much choice.

If that came out with evidence to back it up, there would be a fan revolt...

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not that it matters all that much, because he'll probably re-sign with the Rockies, and I'd doubt the Sox would spend the money anyway, but Arenado is only 15 months older than Machado, FWIW. 

The Sox are telegraphing not going after a 3rd baseman next year by going through with moving Moncada there unless he busts. They wouldn't dare move him again, would they?

13 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Well I mean they could still go after him. What, would the Phillies complain to the league that we broke their illegal agreement?

Yes, I thought the same thing. The Phillies wouldn't have much recourse, because they couldn't reveal their illegal collusion. For the Sox, it is simply a matter of honoring their word.

Edited by Lillian

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox are telegraphing not going after a 3rd baseman next year by going through with moving Moncada there unless he busts. They wouldn't dare move him again, would they?

That's pretty accurate actually. I think they're more likely to go after Sale or Cole next year than anyone else. 

Edited by Jack Parkman