Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I'm still kinda excited. Until he signs, despite all the evidence of failed execution there is still a chance for them to turn around and do something different. Like in a bad tv show, where the protagonist does something completely out of character because the writers were lazy and bored.

Don't do this to me, bmags. I can't get my hopes up on this one one bit. My expectation is that Harper signs elsewhere. I won't allow myself to get any sort of excited. Nope Can't do it. 

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They offered a clearly below market deal and were unwilling to pay market rate for a player whose contract we could have guessed 6 months ago. They only were willing to sign him if his contract came in below the expected market. That's not the behavior of someone who cares about winning and is willing to make a few last sacrifices financially.

It doesn't mean anything - to use one of Hahn's favorite words, it is binary - but they DID bid more than 28 other clubs.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

It doesn't mean anything - to use one of Hahn's favorite words, it is binary - but they DID bid more than 28 other clubs.  

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

You don’t get bonus points for being the runner-up on free agency.

Don't we have to give them a ton of credit for coming in ahead of the Astros? I mean, replacing Correa and Bregman makes complete sense for that franchise. 

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm still kinda excited. Until he signs, despite all the evidence of failed execution there is still a chance for them to turn around and do something different. Like in a bad tv show, where the protagonist does something completely out of character because the writers were lazy and bored.

Exactly!!  It’s hard not to cling to any hope you have when you have little actual hope!  

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

You don’t get bonus points for being the runner-up on free agency.

Yah, I said that.  I am as pissed as anybody that they missed out on Machado.  But the fact that they did offer a quarter of billion to one player with the chance for the deal to end up $50M higher than the one he ultimately accepted, it gives me at least a sliver of hope that eventually this team will land a marquee free agent.  I prefer that they were in the race and seemingly in 2nd place than sitting in out completely like other teams in similar spots to the Sox like the Twins, Blue Jays, Rays, A's, Mets, Brewers, etc...

I think the Sox thought they would get Machado.  They were probably as shocked as we were.  And when you think of all the time and effort involved, their failure was probably devastating.   I have to believe they will try for Harper.  I think the Sox have a shot.  But I certainly won't get my hopes up again.

1 minute ago, 103 mph screwball said:

I think the Sox thought they would get Machado.  They were probably as shocked as we were.  And when you think of all the time and effort involved, their failure was probably devastating.   I have to believe they will try for Harper.  I think the Sox have a shot.  But I certainly won't get my hopes up again.

Rick Hahn couldn't have been shocked. He said when he went to bed on Monday, he thought the odds were less than 50/50.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

According to Nightengale, there are three teams left standing, and the White Sox are NOT one of them.  It is Philly, SF, and LAD.  CWS and SD are out.

This actually gives me more confidence that the Sox are still involved.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

According to Nightengale, there are three teams left standing, and the White Sox are NOT one of them.  It is Philly, SF, and LAD.  CWS and SD are out.

Bobby also said he expected machado to sign with white sox. All it takes is a team to swoop in and change things tho again after the machado debacle I'm not counting on the sox 

1 hour ago, wegner said:

What an off season

Maybe this is our time

Two whales are available

Both entering their prime

Harper would be an unbelievable catch

But maybe Manny’s the better match?

We’ve got the money, Rick has said so

But will Jerry shell out that kind of dough?

Trade for Alonso, then sign John Jay

Looking like Manny, he is the play

Sign him by Christmas, oh what a present

Did I say Christmas? No, in the New Year I meant

January came and went and so did the next one

Surely by Spring Training, they’ll get the job done

Not looking good I fear, taking too long

But our competition, isn’t too strong?

Why is Moncada taking ground balls at 3rd?

Manny is coming here, that’s what I heard

Alas San Diego makes a guaranteed offer

KW says we don’t have that kind of cash in our coffer

What about unprecedented flexibility?

Just count that up to my gullibility

Now I am upset, now I am pissed

They had this all wrapped up, how could they have missed?

Time to go online, that’s what I’ll do

Time to tell Jerry just who he can screw

And about Alonso and his friend John Jay

I want them both gone before Opening Day

Ok, calm down…sorry for the rant

Never really wanted Manny, that is my chant

Harper is still out there, that is the hope

But why do I just kinda feel like a dope?

Following the Palehose sometimes feels like a disease

Prove me wrong White Sox, prove me wrong please

Hickory dickory dock

H5aDcqJ.gif

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Bobby also said he expected machado to sign with white sox. All it takes is a team to swoop in and change things tho again after the machado debacle I'm not counting on the sox 

To be fair, he didn't say that he expected Machado to sign with the White Sox, he said that Machado will sign with the White Sox. Don't let him off the hook

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Pissed off mode for the Sox is probably more helping LA land him than actually landing him. That way the off season idiot award goes to Philly for a bit.

Still wouldn't go to the Phillies with the other moves they've made. The "stupid money" quote was dumb but even without Manny and Harper they would still have had a pretty damn successful offseason. 

Edited by Sockin