Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

10 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It's only a "1% chance," if the Sox don't want him. What do you suppose the chances of that are?

Its a 0% chance if the Sox don't want him. They do though, just at the Jerry rate. So with that in mind giving the Jerry rate a 1% chance is probably overly optimistic. 

58 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It's only a "1% chance," if the Sox don't want him. What do you suppose the chances of that are? There are few teams interested. The price is lower than anticipated. The Sox have the money. They should be motivated to "fix" the mess, which they created. Harper doesn't like the idea of going to Philadelphia. So, still think the chance is 1%?

If the Sox would not guaranty Machado $300 million, no chance they guaranty Harper substantially more. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

You can most likely have both.  This disappointment won't be quite as crushing, but it will still hurt.

I actually think Harper signing elsewhere would be worse for me. It would signify the end of this offseason for the White Sox. Which was highly anticipated. It would also signify, without any other relevant free agents available, that they failed at every turn this offseason. It would be a huge disappointment and step back to the plan in my opinion.

So Jerry, Rick, and Kenny better get it together these next few days. We have a big fucking fish to land. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

If the Sox would not guaranty Machado $300 million, no chance they guaranty Harper substantially more. 

Why? The Phillies were in on Machado and would not guarantee him $300M but are considered by many to be the front runners for Harper. Harper will get more than Machado. Phillies openly said the $300M Machado received did not match what they believed his value was.

By the way, I don't personally agree with their stance.

Edited by Stealth G.O.A.T.

16 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

This assertion has been made countless times, on this site. However, I'm sorry, but that is not necessarily true. It has always been assumed that Harper would cost more. Moreover, we don't know how much more that Sox originally valued Harper, than they did Machado. And finally, if they have been determined to sign one of these 2 players, there has to be a little more urgency, now that only one remains. They may now value Harper even more than they did originally, given the current state of the fans base. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sockin said:

@Y2Jimmy0 Bravo.

“Machado is very talented! But there’s no guarantee he’ll continue his “HOF trajectory” at 34. A 5-year deal with an AAV between $30 & $35 million would make more sense. With his questionable character, not sure he’d be the guy to help mentor the young prospects.”

Then why the f#$k didn’t they offer the opt out and front load the contract to avoid that EXACT situation...of having him play years 6-10 in Chicago?

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Not with our current pitching staff it is not^ 

The Indians are still easily the best team in the AL Central right now

Is it just a foregone conclusion that ReyLo and Giolito are gonna suck?

I love me so Rodon, and he really looked to turn a corner last year.

Nova is a fine #4, and Santana, if healthy, could be a very solid #5.

Bullpen could be particularly nasty if everything breaks right.

Who knows, Manny B is getting some love too and if he has an Arrieta like resurgence,  then the Sox could really be cooking with fire.

1 minute ago, scs787 said:

Is it just a foregone conclusion that ReyLo and Giolito are gonna suck?

I love me so Rodon, and he really looked to turn a corner last year.

Nova is a fine #4, and Santana, if healthy, could be a very solid #5.

Bullpen could be particularly nasty if everything breaks right.

Who knows, Manny B is getting some love too and if he has an Arrieta like resurgence,  then the Sox could really be cooking with fire.

ReyLo, not at all.  Look at his last 6-8 weeks, he looked like a 2/3 guy if he can start missing more bats and picking up the K rate.

Rodon 100% has not yet turned any kind of corner.  He oscillates between future HoF, backend starter/fantasy league depth piece or the disabled list.  Just no extended consistency over a 2-3 month timeframe.  Mechanics are not repeatable.   Too many walks.  Trouble holding baserunners.  Eminently Hittable fastball when he’s not getting the slider over, behind in counts or throwing it at 91-94 instead of 95-98.