Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I’m glad you are around to decrypt the insider talk.  Any Sox / Harper news is good news.  If the Sox steal Harper from the Phillies like the Padres stole Machado from the Sox, Hahn will once again be in our good graces and iamshack will be the greater insider of all time.

I love shack, but kOna will forever be the best insider of all time

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I love shack, but kOna will forever be the best insider of all time

I beg to differ.  Most recently, the icons of insiderdom are still wetbutt23 and KatyPerrysBootyHole.  They had it all...  juicy trade info and stellar handles.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

Screw pessimism!

Y’all ready?

Why this happens 

1.  Sox want to remove bad Machado PR

2. New TV deal.  I’ll bet they expect Sox to get either Machado or Harper

3. Harper likes Chicago and the Bulls

4.  Big market 

5. Harper has a rebellious streak.  Likes to be booed.  We will love him.

6.  Kenny Williams had to wear sunglasses 🕶 

7.  Why would anyone play in Philadelphia 

8.  No dang way Sox let Padres get him.  Or cubs

9.  Others rumored short term

10.  Sox learn from Machado debacle.  Show Bryce respect in the form of CASH!

11. Bryant family.  

12. He will put up big numbers in G-rate.

13. He will want to bring joy to Dick Allen’s off season 

14.  Jerry doesn’t have forever to rebuild 

15.  Marketing Bryce will pay part of his salary 

16.  It will boost the entire team 

Do NOT get your hopes up.

but I’m ready 

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Somehow I followed all of that except the sunglasses.

KW wore sunglasses to hide his shock of losing Machado negotiations.  KW LOST HIS MAN.  Sunglasses hid teary eyed frustration.  Hahn was pissed too.  We were extremely disappointed and angry as Sox fans.   They are Sox fans too.

I hope Shack knows what hes doing stirring all this up again?  if it's not legit, its just going to further infuriate the fanbase.  What's the upside here for the White Sox if they dont convert?  Another week of PR nightmares?  Driving up the price for the Cubs to counter?

Edited by caulfield12

Here’s the question I keep going back to...

If JR, KW, and RH could go back in time and offer Manny a deal of 10 for $320, with an opt out after 5 years, and they knew this would 100% get him to sign, would they do it?

If the answer is yes (and they simply got beat in negotiations because they never thought SD would go that high), then there is still some hope for Harper. 

But if the answer is no, then we most likely have no shot for Harper (I say “most likely” because there is the very small chance that we wouldn’t give Manny that much, but we are willing to give Harper something like 10 for $330)

• Love 2

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Here’s the question I keep going back to...

If JR, KW, and RH could go back in time and offer Manny a deal of 10 for $320, with an opt out after 5 years, and they knew this would 100% get him to sign, would they do it?

If the answer is yes (and they simply got beat in negotiations because they never thought SD would go that high), then there is still some hope for Harper. 

But if the answer is no, then we most likely have no shot for Harper (I say “most likely” because there is the very small chance that we wouldn’t give Manny that much, but we are willing to give Harper something like 10 for $330)

It's likely even the same exact contract the Padres signed him to would have gotten the deal done...certainly 4-6 weeks ago.

$300 million (guaranteed, not all that incentive BS that supposedly valued it at up to $350 million) for Machado always seemed like the magic number.

Heck, I would have been okay with the option year kicking in after 4 instead of 5 seasons.

Instead, it's like they were shopping for the Blue Light Special at K-Mart and got greedy, thinking they could just get a "steal" on his contract instead of paying what once seemed to be "fair market" value.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

It's likely even the same exact contract the Padres signed him to would have gotten the deal done...certainly 4-6 weeks ago.

$300 million (guaranteed, not all that incentive BS that supposedly valued it at up to $350 million) for Machado always seemed like the magic number.

Heck, I would have been okay with the option year kicking in after 4 instead of 5 seasons.

Instead, it's like they were shopping for the Blue Light Special at K-Mart and got greedy, thinking they could just get a "steal" on his contract instead of paying what once seemed to be "fair market" value.

Agreed, but the point of my post is not what it would have taken to get Manny to sign. I’m wondering why the Sox didn’t offer that magic number.

Is it because they are cheap and simply refuse to go that high? Or is it because they didn’t think they needed to go that high?

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Agreed, but the point of my post is not what it would have taken to get Manny to sign. I’m wondering why the Sox didn’t offer that magic number.

Is it because they are cheap and simply refuse to go that high? Or is it because they didn’t think they needed to go that high?

The second one.  They clearly underestimated the Padres' finances, the attraction of the West Coast, the appeal of that #1 farm system (just as many Latin American players, if not more, than us) and the relationship Machado had already developed with Tatis, Jr., before this offseason and the fact that his two biggest "coups" of the offseason in Jay and Alonso ended up speaking in glowing terms about the Padres instead of the White Sox.

• Thanks 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

The second one.  They clearly underestimated the Padres' finances, the attraction of the West Coast, the appeal of that #1 farm system (just as many Latin American players, if not more, than us) and the relationship Machado had already developed with Tatis, Jr., before this offseason and the fact that his two biggest "coups" of the offseason in Jay and Alonso ended up speaking in glowing terms about the Padres instead of the White Sox.

I tend to think it’s the second one as well, which is the only reason I have a sliver of hope for Harper. If they learned their lesson and truly want him, they could make it happen. 

But I still only give it about a 5% chance of happening. 

26 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

@iamshack per previous chats on the Machado board, I understand why you don't go overboard with sharing info, protecting sources, etc BUT you can't dangle a carrot like that and not give a little bit more lol

I think that after the Manny situation anyone with sources is laying low. Sox fans don't need any more letdowns. I mean did you see how the fan base reacted to Rick, Kenny and Jerry (Rightfully so). I think its good that the FO is laying low. Odds are the Sox don't sign Harper but you never know until its a done deal.

Positive Spin: Its really cool to see how many Sox fans on here that really care about the direction of the team. Refreshing since I'm constantly surrounded by Cubs fans in the nw suburbs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1