Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It's likely even the same exact contract the Padres signed him to would have gotten the deal done...certainly 4-6 weeks ago.

$300 million (guaranteed, not all that incentive BS that supposedly valued it at up to $350 million) for Machado always seemed like the magic number.

Heck, I would have been okay with the option year kicking in after 4 instead of 5 seasons.

Instead, it's like they were shopping for the Blue Light Special at K-Mart and got greedy, thinking they could just get a "steal" on his contract instead of paying what once seemed to be "fair market" value.

Unless they really were gunning for both.  

Not blue light shopping, but trying to fit both on the team for under 70.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, black jack said:

Unless they really were gunning for both.  

Not blue light shopping, but trying to fit both on the team for under 70.

Sure, they could have guaranteed Manny $30 million per year for a decade and Harper $30-40 million, but they have demonstrated no tangible signs of a desire to do so...in fact, they were willing to guarantee Machado $31.25 million per year, but where did that get them?

Edited by caulfield12

48 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, they could have guaranteed Manny $30 million per year for a decade and Harper $30-40 million, but they have demonstrated no tangible signs of a desire to do so...in fact, they were willing to guarantee Machado $31.25 million per year, but where did that get them?

It's easy to guarantee something that you know won't be accepted. It means nothing to me unless they sign one of these guys.

9 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

So based on last nights shack-bomb, we have a pulse in this thing?

Did he really intend to create that impression, and why?

If they weren’t willing to go beyond $250 million guaranteed for Machado, why would they suddenly reverse course and guarantee $300-350 million for Harper?

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If they weren’t willing to go beyond $250 million guaranteed for Machado, why would they suddenly reverse course and guarantee $300-350 million for Harper?

Only speculation, but they might be willing to guarantee more for Harper for two reasons: 1) They were always willing to guarantee more for Harper if he ended up being their main target.  2) They are willing to guarantee more for Harper because of what happened with Machado.

Personally I think Harper does more for the team from a marketing standpoint, and he may be worth more because of that.

Regardless, I hope the subtle potential bombs from yesterday actually mean something.  I do think the Sox are more involved with Harper than we're being led to believe.  They were obviously interested in him from the beginning, so I don't know why they would be out now.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why do people keep asking this same rhetorical question, get the same answer from people that choose to believe the Sox might be in it, and then reply "no, we were never in it."

You ask for an answer - some people value different things differently and we don't know how they arrive at their valuation. Just because they wouldn't pay X for Y doesn't mean they won't pay Q for R. Harper may have a different value to them (marketability etc etc) that they didn't see with Machado. This isn't reversing course - we don't KNOW their course.(obligatory retort: "but do they even know?")

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This seems to have become a mantra, with you. The logic is faulty. I'm surprised that this not apparent. We are talking about two different players and two separate negotiations. We don't know what is transpiring, behind the scenes, however it is a little perplexing that anyone would think that what took place with Machado, precludes any serious pursuit, by the Sox, of Harper. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

This seems to have become a mantra, with you. The logic is faulty. I'm surprised that this not apparent. We are talking about two different players and two separate negotiations. We don't know what is transpiring, behind the scenes, however it is a little perplexing that anyone would think that what took place with Machado, precludes any serious pursuit, by the Sox, of Harper. 

Well, other than everything that has come out since then, unless it’s a complete misdirection or subterfuge.

Sure, we can all see the logical arguments for why Harper would be even more valuable to this particular franchise at this exact moment in time...and hope that I guess they keep their involvement a complete secret until it’s announced (whereas the Padres started to receive a lot of media attention about two weeks before everything went down early last week.)

We’d also have to wonder what is our appeal (other than money) when bringing in the “friends and family plan” failed to be the convincing factor and actually might have worked against them in a weird way.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, other than everything that has come out since then, unless it’s a complete misdirection or subterfuge.

Sure, we can all see the logical arguments for why Harper would be even more valuable to this particular franchise at this exact moment in time...and hope that I guess they keep their involvement a complete secret until it’s announced (whereas the Padres started to receive a lot of media attention about two weeks before everything went down early last week.)

We’d also have to wonder what is our appeal (other than money) when bringing in the “friends and family plan” failed to be the convincing factor and actually might have worked against them in a weird way.

Money is all that matters, let’s not pretend Harper cares about anything else at the moment.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NotHahn said:

I think that after the Manny situation anyone with sources is laying low. Sox fans don't need any more letdowns. I mean did you see how the fan base reacted to Rick, Kenny and Jerry (Rightfully so). I think its good that the FO is laying low. Odds are the Sox don't sign Harper but you never know until its a done deal.

Positive Spin: Its really cool to see how many Sox fans on here that really care about the direction of the team. Refreshing since I'm constantly surrounded by Cubs fans in the nw suburbs.

I very much get that. I'm just greedy lol. 

4 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

When security steps in, "Mr. Hahn, you can enter but that 83-year old man with you who refuses to pay full cover price isn't getting in."

Door shuts. Again.

Was going to attempt a Robert Kraft joke but presumably still too early...but, if you get there before 5 p.m., the Early Bird special applies.

Edited by caulfield12