Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Money is all that matters, let’s not pretend Harper cares about anything else at the moment.

I’m going to have a kinder interpretation that means the same thing: they care about what the money represents. Harper has been one of the games biggest stars since he arrived as a 19 year old. He wants to be the money amount that represents that, that’s why tax rates etc I don’t see as a big play though they will work around it where possible.

Manny wanted to be a 300 mill player. Harper wants the biggest contract. You hit there you’ll get him.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Money is all that matters, let’s not pretend Harper cares about anything else at the moment.

Exactly. And as far as position, hey, if Madrigal is anything like they hope, Moncada was going to wind up at 1B or the OF eventually if they signed Manny. Let Harper have that roll. This is such a no brainer once in a decade, if not more rare, opportunity. Letting it pass and selling what they are trying to sell, is going to be a very difficult sell. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, bmags said:

The good news if we were to shapeshift into a competent organization and sign harper, is his normal good year/bad year/good year pattern coincides with a really good 2021 which should just align with dominating the world with our other guys.

You mean align with the strike year

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m going to have a kinder interpretation that means the same thing: they care about what the money represents. Harper has been one of the games biggest stars since he arrived as a 19 year old. He wants to be the money amount that represents that, that’s why tax rates etc I don’t see as a big play though they will work around it where possible.

Manny wanted to be a 300 mill player. Harper wants the biggest contract. You hit there you’ll get him.

100% agree.  There is an ego element to this and giving the guy a sexy / record setting contract is more important than anything else (within reason).  If I had to gues, Bryce wants 10/$326M at a minimum and will hold out until someone brings that to the table.  Zero reason that team shouldn’t be us if we can stop playing games and just offer up straight guaranteed money.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  There is an ego element to this and giving the guy a sexy / record setting contract is more important than anything else (within reason).  If I had to gues, Bryce wants 10/$326M at a minimum and will hold out until someone brings that to the table.  Zero reason that team shouldn’t be us if we can stop playing games and just offer up straight guaranteed money.

I'm thinking he wants 10/$350M.  Highest contract ever, and the highest AAV as well.

The following are some of the differences in the Machado and Harper "sweepstakes";

1) At the time the Sox were negotiating with Machado, there were two "whales" available. Now, there is one.

2) One plays third, the other is an outfielder. I understand that this actually favored the pursuit of Machado.

3) One bats right handed, the other left handed, How long has Hahn been trying to acquire a middle of the order LH bat? 

4) One has questionable character and fan appeal, the other is a true "marquee" attraction, much better suited to become the face of the franchise

5) Machado's career on base % is .335. Harper's is .388 (more than .50 points higher)

6) The Machado negotiations took place with a considerable amount of transparency, which ultimately proved to have disastrous consequences. It there are currently negotiations with Harper, they are being conducted with secrecy, which would be the more prudent approach, given the circumstances.

7) We have no idea how Mr. Reinsdorf views the two players, or human beings. I suspect that he would be more comfortable with Harper, than baseball's "bad boy".

I'm sure that there are many more, but that list should be sufficient to dispel any notion that the two situations are comparable, and that one can equate what happened in the case of Machado, with what should be expected, with Harper.

And finally, to reiterate something that I suggested some time ago, Manny's friends may have been brought in, as much to help keep him on the right path, as they were to lure him to the organization. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SoxPride56 said:

I'm thinking he wants 10/$350M.  Highest contract ever, and the highest AAV as well.

You’re probably right, but I simply don’t see that happening.  If I were the Sox, I’d still happily do that but, I honestly think 10/$330M might just get this thing done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So based on Shack’s tweet, I’m assuming we hear he’s agreed to a contract with the Sox by tomorrow and a press conference takes place this Friday.

Oh man, this is dangerous!!

What tweet btw? I saw his post about slowly walking towards the door. That could mean anything... even if he is optimistic I am in a state of 'meh' unless the Sox actually prove it.

I took shack's post of the door being wide open to mean that it was wide open for the Sox, meaning they could offer enough to be the high bidder.  The walking slowly towards the door makes me scratch my head, though.  Does it mean the Sox are approaching Harper with a deal, or is Harper approaching the Sox because they have made a great offer?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Everyone has been shitting on Nightengale and Heyman for their tweets, and it’s accepted. Why is that, and his post are ok? 

I get the point you are trying to make - I may not agree, but I get it. Regardless, I wasn’t speaking to that. I just can’t wrap my head around people clamoring for insider posts and getting excited based on the same (something, which I might add makes the board fun when under control) only to turn around and be the same people who jump down their throats as a way to take out their frustration with the situation. Some want it both ways. And it can hurt the quality of the board. 

Edited by Sox72