Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

18 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

what tweet?

17 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Oh man, this is dangerous!!

What tweet btw? I saw his post about slowly walking towards the door. That could mean anything... even if he is optimistic I am in a state of 'meh' unless the Sox actually prove it.

Sorry, meant his post.

Rosenthal tweets yesterday that la seems mostly in it because of giants headway even in a short term deal, and that Bryce is still looking for $300 mill.

Heyman tweets today that actually everyone is in for long term deal and all over $300 mill and oh by the way philly your fans seem to want Harper most.

Where could he get that info? Oh to be a fly on the wall.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Rosenthal tweets yesterday that la seems mostly in it because of giants headway even in a short term deal, and that Bryce is still looking for $300 mill.

Heyman tweets today that actually everyone is in for long term deal and all over $300 mill and oh by the way philly your fans seem to want Harper most.

Where could he get that info? Oh to be a fly on the wall.

Heyman got his overnight email from Boras. His tweets confirm it. Everyone is in. Everyone is bidding huge. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Heyman got his overnight email from Boras. His tweets confirm it. Everyone is in. Everyone is bidding huge. 

That's the sense I am getting. Philly, Dodgers, Giants, Padres, maybe White Sox on the periphery? All seem to be bidding over $300 million for Harper on long term contracts at this point, because why the hell not? 

I wonder how much of Manny leaving the limelight impacts anything.  Let's be honest the White Sox getting Harper puts Machado to the Pads out of the news cycle completely.  The east coast/limited interest bias can't get Trout into the mix from LA....you will never hear from Machado again. 

You put Machado in NY or Philly and there is still front page coverage. 

Harper going to a big market takes over the baseball news cycle for the next few weeks and is reason to check in on the White Sox.

I am also wondering if Machado was balking about playing third here.  

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

The only positive I can see regarding Harper to the Sox, is that Riensdorf realizes the marketing value of Harper vs. Manny and maybe, by some fucking miracle, he is willing to go higher because of this. I highly, highly doubt it. But it could happen. I still think it’s more likely Hell freezes over or pigs fly.

I think the Sox have to be considering a failure tax.  I know they pretend to be tone deaf, but at the same time are paying attention to everything that is being said, so they obviously care. 

I could ask here, would it be worst to come in 2nd for Harper, or to not have interest at all, at least as far as the fans see?  Could that shape the face they show to the general public if they really do have interest?  Being the public leader for Machado made missing out on him WAY worse than if they had never bid on him at all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Again money isn't up to Hahn. Its reinsdorf. Its not happening. I would love for it to happen but it ain't. With the sox I keep my hopes low. So I'm not disappointed in the end. Or I'm surprised and ecstatic if it does

This is absolutely fair.  We keep talking about Rick and Kenny, but this number is going to come directly from Jerry and the board, as they know what is means for the franchise going forward.  This doesn't happen without Jerry authorizing it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

would it be worst to come in 2nd for Harper, or to not have interest at all, at least as far as the fans see?  Could that shape the face they show to the general public if they really do have interest?  Being the public leader for Machado made missing out on him WAY worse than if they had never bid on him at all.

I think the former which is why,even if they are in this to any degree, they’re running uber-stealth at the moment.  I think they know the optics on another failed attempt would just make things even worse.

edit: I do like you’re take on a failure tax.  If they have ANY bit if business sense that’s part of their equation right now 

Edited by RTC

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think the Sox have to be considering a failure tax.  I know they pretend to be tone deaf, but at the same time are paying attention to everything that is being said, so they obviously care. 

I could ask here, would it be worst to come in 2nd for Harper, or to not have interest at all, at least as far as the fans see?  Could that shape the face they show to the general public if they really do have interest?  Being the public leader for Machado made missing out on him WAY worse than if they had never bid on him at all.

It's a fair question, and I think the FO is set up in a lose-lose situation after making such a vocal and visible push for Machado and failing so publicly. Half of the fan base would be pissed that we failed again, and the other half would be pissed if we said he didn't try.

May be me, I think it's worse to act like they bowed out. Especially if he signs for only 300 or 310. It adds to the "what did you think they were going to go for?" cluelessness and fuel to the fire that they did have an upper limit.

But, it's a tortured fan base at this point so I know it will be tough to take people up and down.

To be quite honest, as much as I know I will love harper if he were to sign, this machado thing was bungled so much it still wouldn't be as much of a celebration for me as if they had closed deal on machado.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I agree with it about 98%

Of course, at some point there is a limit where they just aren't going over. But I also think a good GM/VP can get more money out of the owner if they know how to approach it and have a good sales pitch. Not even saying this applies here, but I think the best GM's know when to go to "the well" with their ownership. 

Again, this is where I see the difference between Kenny and Rick as leaders.  Kenny is a competitor who has to win at all costs.  Rick is an analytic who trusts his instincts.  If he has a number set, he isn't going to break that number because it is right.  Kenny would have never waited six months for the Quintana trade.  The other side is that Kenny wouldn't have waited until February to get Machado signed.  He would have bid up months ago. It is good and bad in both.

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

I agree with it about 98%

Of course, at some point there is a limit where they just aren't going over. But I also think a good GM/VP can get more money out of the owner if they know how to approach it and have a good sales pitch. Not even saying this applies here, but I think the best GM's know when to go to "the well" with their ownership. 

I kinda feel like people who work for jerry know the deal, that you don't press him for more. The way they talk about jerry is different than I feel a lot of team presidents talk about their owner, they always have to revere him and talk about how successful he is as a businessman, like they will be trumped if they bring up this convo.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is absolutely fair.  We keep talking about Rick and Kenny, but this number is going to come directly from Jerry and the board, as they know what is means for the franchise going forward.  This doesn't happen without Jerry authorizing it.

Same point you were making about the " water carriers". Hahn and KW work within the guidelines determined by their boss. They are employees of JR and like any other job in life, employees are paid to do what they are told. 

This doesn't excuse Hahn and KW for past trade and free agent signing debacles but when it comes to spending 300m+ on a free agent, JR has the final say, period. This should be obvious since JR sat down at the Harper/Boras table last November to get an idea of what they were looking for.

Just now, BlackSox13 said:

Same point you were making about the " water carriers". Hahn and KW work within the guidelines determined by their boss. They are employees of JR and like any other job in life, employees are paid to do what they are told. 

This doesn't excuse Hahn and KW for past trade and free agent signing debacles but when it comes to spending 300m+ on a free agent, JR has the final say, period. This should be obvious since JR sat down at the Harper/Boras table last November to get an idea of what they were looking for.

Totally agree with this, but especially the first paragraph.  I would also point out that Rick worked his way up from the bottom of baseball, and spent a number of years having teams trying to poach him from the White Sox, so he even knew this when he was made GM.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

May be me, I think it's worse to act like they bowed out. Especially if he signs for only 300 or 310. It adds to the "what did you think they were going to go for?" cluelessness and fuel to the fire that they did have an upper limit.

But, it's a tortured fan base at this point so I know it will be tough to take people up and down.

To be quite honest, as much as I know I will love harper if he were to sign, this machado thing was bungled so much it still wouldn't be as much of a celebration for me as if they had closed deal on machado.

It would be an even bigger celebration from me if they land Harper. Coming off the devastating machado news, it would feel amazing

• Love 1