Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

13 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

@iamshack .... We are waiting...

No disrespect to anyone but I don’t think there are many people waiting anymore for inside info. Right now most of us are just waiting for the report that Harper has signed somewhere so we can all get some closure and move on from this nightmare of an off season. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I bet some of the A's players got a job in Charlie Finley's coal mines after their playing days as part of their pay.

Yes, I know that Charlie Finley made his money from selling insurance.

Lol, I watched the mlb network documentary on the 70s As, was really entertaining as someone who knew they had dominant teams and a stingy owner but none of the anecdotes.

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Last Tuesday, Machado signed with the Padres. Today, Arenado signed an extension with the Rockies.

With our luck, Harper will sign with the Cubs next Tuesday for way less money than the Sox offered.

Heyward scratched for personal reasons today.  Something to keep an eye on.

45 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

If he had something to share, he would have told us already.

Don't get too invested in this. I think the Sox chances are 10% to get this done, which is probably way too optimistic.

10%!!!!!!  The last time I checked in someone was saying 1%.  That's tremendous news, thanks.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

People keep posting this do not know the difference between NBA cap structure and MLB payroll. Regardless if the Bulls traded for OPJ then money would be spent somewhere, there are salary floors in NBA that need to be met. The floor is 90% of the cap, which the Bulls likely won't be have exceed by a huge margin.

I posted it as a larf, I get the systems.  No clue why you'd take that so aggressively.

Do not get your hopes up.  This is optimism.  If you are the kind of person that expects your airplane to crash, don't read this.

Sox should offer 10 years 340 guaranteed.  More than might be necessary.  Don't send the message that you are bargain hunting.  Send the message that he is the future of your franchise.  If he wants an out clause, try to get after at least 4 years.  Send a strong offer!  Not some might be competitive offer.  A definitely competitive offer.  It's a bold move.  But a move that could change the course of White Sox history and increase the value of the franchise.  Mr. Reinsdorf could do this if he considers the marketing value of a superstar. 

Some will ask,

Where's the evidence that this is happening?  (No evidence.  Just makes sense to me)

Jerry is cheap!  (no he isn't, he just miscalculated on Machado)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the Sox chances here are way better than people want to admit and all the evidence is there for those willing to see it. Lots seem happy to just mire themselves in sadness and dread when it comes to the team even though this Harper situation seems very favorable to the Sox. Favorable enough that it adds a lot of context to letting Machado walk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

I think the Sox chances here are way better than people want to admit and all the evidence is there for those willing to see it. Lots seem happy to just mire themselves in sadness and dread when it comes to the team even though this Harper situation seems very favorable to the Sox. Favorable enough that it adds a lot of context to letting Machado walk.

Yes their chances are great based on the remaining teams (Harper is the type of guy who wants a big market). It's just a matter of if they want to pay up or not. And this is the issue.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Chicago is Chicago, but the Sox are definitely not the Cubs. 

If your only other option is the shithole that is Philly you'll be more open to playing on the southside but still living in a world-class city.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Chicago is Chicago, but the Sox are definitely not the Cubs. 

True, but they have to start somewhere. The Cubs weren't always the Cubs. The Golden State Warriors used to be a laughing stock franchise a decade ago and before. Now they're one of the most valuable franchises in the NBA. Like I said, the Sox need to start somewhere and Harper is exactly what they need. 

Let's get it done.

Edited by Stealth G.O.A.T.
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

True, but they have to start somewhere. The Cubs weren't always the Cubs. The Golden State Warrior used to be a laughing stock franchise a decade ago and before. Now they're one of the most valuable franchises in the NBA. Like I said, the Sox need to start somewhere and Harper is exactly what they need. 

Let's get it done.

I don't disagree, I just think Uncle Scrooge does. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

The Sox just need to make the best offer if they are interested in Harper. Nothing cute. Offer highest AAV, most total, and opt out after 5 years. If Harper turns it down, Hahn can simply and factually state the Sox made the best offer and the player chose to play elsewhere.

The Sox have lots going for them that should be attractive to Harper. If he doesn't want to play for them, it almost doesn't matter what the offer is.

• Like 1