Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox haven't even made an official offer if the rumors are correct.

Well there is they "mystery team" offer that is over $300M, along with the Phillies.  We know its not the Dodgers or he would have signed.  All indications are the Giants are not willing to go that long.

So....could very well be the Sox.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well there is they "mystery team" offer that is over $300M, along with the Phillies.  We know its not the Dodgers or he would have signed.  All indications are the Giants are not willing to go that long.

So....could very well be the Sox.  

It could be.  It could be a "what if we offer"...  kind of thing.  It could be a real offer, or it could be complete BS from Boras.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Because there is a significant difference between 4/$160M and 10/$320M????

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I agree with you/ A team like the Dodgers is screwed financially if they do a short-term deal. I think if he ends up in LA, the deal will be like 13-14 years with opt outs to lower the CBT amount. 

Yeah, i should have elaborated there - the Dodgers put themselves into real risk of the highest CBA penalty, including a 42.5% tax on everything, if they signed Harper for $40 million/year. They're right at the tax line right now, give or take a few million of manuevering. The luxury tax penalty jumpes to 42.5% in year 1 if they are $40 million over. The 10/$350 longer term deal is actually more favorable to the Dodgers as it avoids the huge penalty line. They also would lose draft position if they crossed that line. 

IF the Phillies are truly out...once again the Sox are in an amazing position to get another HOF type talent that will sell tickets. Unless the Giants or Dodgers are offering over 300 million contracts, there is absolutely no reason the Sox shouldn't offer 10/326 and an opt out at 4/5 years. He would accept that TODAY. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

A “fair” but not cheap deal for Puig at 29 would be 3 years and $54 million or four years and $70...about what Pollock got, albeit less injuries and younger.  Puig has averaged 1.9 fWAR the last three seasons.  I can’t imagine paying Castellanos or Ozuna much more or less that that.  And therein lies the problem...between our second tier of outfielders being unsure to even hit 2 and the opportunity cost that goes with not spending on a really good veteran starting pitcher.  Of course, they SHOULD be able to accommodate two contracts like that.

If Hahn gives that contract to Puig then he should be fired on the spot.  Locking up $17M on a 2 win OF when we have half a dozen prospects would have a complete disaster

Also, we should be able to accommodate more than two big contracts with the amount of young guys we’ll be relying on.  Adding a veteran bat should have no bearing on our ability to add a stud pitcher.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

IF the Phillies are truly out...once again the Sox are in an amazing position to get another HOF type talent that will sell tickets. Unless the Giants or Dodgers are offering over 300 million contracts, there is absolutely no reason the Sox shouldn't offer 10/326 and an opt out at 4/5 years. He would accept that TODAY. 

To me, it would mean Phillies are out because Bryce just doesn't want to go there, not because they're not offering enough.  Sox would probably fit that criteria as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I agree with you/ A team like the Dodgers is screwed financially if they do a short-term deal. I think if he ends up in LA, the deal will be like 13-14 years with opt outs to lower the CBT amount. 

I could see that.  Dodgers are smart enough to do something unique. 

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

C'mon man.

I don't necessarily think it is, and I've said all along I don't think Harper has interest in the signing with the Sox.  I think they could offer 10/$330M and it could be the best offer by $30M and he won't take it. 

I am just struggling to determine who that other $300M offer could be if not the Sox.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't necessarily think it is, and I've said all along I don't think Harper has interest in the signing with the Sox.  I think they could offer 10/$330M and it could be the best offer by $30M and he won't take it. 

I am just struggling to determine who that other $300M offer could be if not the Sox.  

The old Nationals 300 offer?

Machado supposedly didn't want to play on the West Coast until the Padres offer was clearly the best. I think it's the same for Harper and Philly. He just hasn't gotten the offer he wants yet, IMO it's that simple. He'll go to the top bidder unless the offers are very close.