Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

I know no one wants to really believe it and won’t believe it until Harper actually signs elsewhere but seriously guys, the Sox are not in this. They aren’t laying in the weeds. They don’t have this grand master plan that they are perfectly timing. They aren’t in it. It sucks. They suck. Everyone is trying to tell us and we refuse to believe them. It’s all crazy talk at this point. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

Just now, black jack said:

Still can't believe they wouldn't go 10/300 with Machado.

What a bunch of cheap asses.

I think they would have.  I honestly don't think it was about being cheap.  I think it was about being horrible during the negotiations and not thinking SD was serious.

I posted this earlier, but think of it this way:  If the front office could go back in time and offer a 10 year deal worth $310 with an opt out after 5 year, and they knew for a fact Machado would accept, would they do it?

I think the answer to that question is yes.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This is a pretty good article about the Phillies. The White Sox are in the same boat. How many of these guys in the future are going to be available? 

https://theathletic.com/840072/2019/02/26/arenados-260-million-extension-and-the-prevailing-thought-that-this-must-be-the-phillies-bryce-harper-moment/

Hold your horses, Hahn said they would spend the money eventually, never did he specify on 26 yr old potential future HOF's! But have no doubt it will be spent in the future in some way or form!

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This is a pretty good article about the Phillies. The White Sox are in the same boat. How many of these guys in the future are going to be available? 

https://theathletic.com/840072/2019/02/26/arenados-260-million-extension-and-the-prevailing-thought-that-this-must-be-the-phillies-bryce-harper-moment/

They aren't going to be available, which is why whiffing on Machado is so painful. At some point the organization needs to be willing to go all in on a star player to aid the rebuild. 

1 hour ago, mqr said:

I can't even imagine my thought process if the Sox somehow pulled that off (they won't). 'Well, that's awesome, but you still manage to completely botch it on your guy.'

I think it would be spun as "that was as high as they wanted to go on Manny because their main target was Bryce", and the your guy narrative would be dispelled.

10 minutes ago, shipps said:

I know no one wants to really believe it and won’t believe it until Harper actually signs elsewhere but seriously guys, the Sox are not in this. They aren’t laying in the weeds. They don’t have this grand master plan that they are perfectly timing. They aren’t in it. It sucks. They suck. Everyone is trying to tell us and we refuse to believe them. It’s all crazy talk at this point. 

Reverse psychology. I like it.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, shipps said:

Also, we are all slowly dying, the oceans will eventually evaporate, and the sun will turn red giant and explode.  Baseball is pointless.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, shipps said:

The Sox are so far away from this Boras couldn’t even use the Sox as a negotiating tactic. Think about that. 

This is actually one reason why I'm led to believe that they are in fact in the discussion. If they weren't, they'd be used left and right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, i should have elaborated there - the Dodgers put themselves into real risk of the highest CBA penalty, including a 42.5% tax on everything, if they signed Harper for $40 million/year. They're right at the tax line right now, give or take a few million of manuevering. The luxury tax penalty jumpes to 42.5% in year 1 if they are $40 million over. The 10/$350 longer term deal is actually more favorable to the Dodgers as it avoids the huge penalty line. They also would lose draft position if they crossed that line. 

Maybe the Dodgers don't give a sh$T about the CBA penalty? Didn't they just get close to a billion dollars not too long ago from their TV deal? 

U2 was still making good records the last time the Dodgers won a World Series. 

World Series flags fly forever. 

Edited by OneDog847
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is actually one reason why I'm led to believe that they are in fact in the discussion. If they weren't, they'd be used left and right. 

So even if they weren’t close on an offer, like not in the same ball park, you think Boras would still likely use them publicly? I am seriously asking. Seems like he has enough teams actually involved. 

3 minutes ago, shipps said:

So even if they weren’t close on an offer, like not in the same ball park, you think Boras would still likely use them publicly? I am seriously asking. Seems like he has enough teams actually involved. 

Yes I do. They have a ton of payroll space to use and they should be a destination. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Maybe the Dodgers don't give a sh$T about the CBA penalty? Didn't they just get close to a billion dollars not too long ago from their TV deal? 

For a team that doesn't care, they worked hard to get under the tax line last year to get out of the multi-year repeat offender penalties.

The 1 year tax rate if they go >$40 million over the tax line is higher than the multi-year repeater penalty rate that they worked to get out of last season.

5 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I don't buy the Dodgers for the same reason I don't buy the Cubs.  They have cash flow restrictions.  They just went and told their investors that they wouldn't go over the cap for the next couple of seasons.

4 minutes ago, shipps said:

But he could probably use another team that is willing to go long term.

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yes I do. They have a ton of payroll space to use and they should be a destination. 

James,

NIce job on the Score last night. I caught it after work.

I was a little surprised there was no Harper talk on the program, but I guess it speaks a lot to the under the radar approach. I want to believe. I want to believe that Boras isn't bandying the Sox around because they intend to top any offer or something of that nature.

Just do it Jerry, Kenny, Rick... just do it. 

3 minutes ago, shipps said:

I don't think this is the case, but it COULD be that the Sox said something like "Hey you don't like Dan Lozano, we now don't like him, we both want to one-up him now so keep our involvement quiet here and we'll match or exceed any offer up to $X dollars".

I don't think the Sox are doing this (I think they're out honestly), but I am a spiteful, petty, vengeance-driven man, so this is what I would do. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Fair enough. 

Why would It benefit Boras to not put them out there publicly again? I think someone addressed that before and it might have been you but I can’t remember what the reasoning was. 

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I know the Sox probably don't want their name bandied about in the media / negotiations due to the Machado fallout, but what is stopping Boras or Boras' mouthpieces from still using the Sox for leverage?  Even if it is against the Sox wishes, there is nothing really stopping the Sox from still being used left and right even if they're in this thing and don't want it public.  Whats your take there?