Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I know the Sox probably don't want their name bandied about in the media / negotiations due to the Machado fallout, but what is stopping Boras or Boras' mouthpieces from still using the Sox for leverage?  Even if it is against the Sox wishes, there is nothing really stopping the Sox from still being used left and right even if they're in this thing and don't want it public.  Whats your take there? 

Maybe if he thinks the Sox are actually willing to be one of the higher bidders he doesn't want to piss them off and make them less receptive to negotiations. Plus, right now there are enough other teams being thrown around to increase the price that he doesn't need to bring the Sox up. Once things get closer to finished he can leak it for that last few million, but no need to do that yet.

Just now, GenericUserName said:

Maybe if he thinks the Sox are actually willing to be one of the higher bidders he doesn't want to piss them off and make them less receptive to negotiations. Plus, right now there are enough other teams being thrown around to increase the price that he doesn't need to bring the Sox up. Once things get closer to finished he can leak it for that last few million, but no need to do that yet.

I just think that is too much respect to give a team that has never shown they would actually do what it takes to sign a player like this, and it's not like Boras and JR are best buds.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I know the Sox probably don't want their name bandied about in the media / negotiations due to the Machado fallout, but what is stopping Boras or Boras' mouthpieces from still using the Sox for leverage?  Even if it is against the Sox wishes, there is nothing really stopping the Sox from still being used left and right even if they're in this thing and don't want it public.  Whats your take there? 

Who knows. Maybe its a Reinsdorf thing? 

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't buy the Dodgers for the same reason I don't buy the Cubs.  They have cash flow restrictions.  They just went and told their investors that they wouldn't go over the cap for the next couple of seasons.

Didn't people say that the Padres could never afford Machado due to debt obligations from renovating Petco? It's time to stop assuming that we know the financial picture of all these teams. No one on this board knows jack about the Cubs or Dodgers internal cash flow restrictions. 

Circumstances change and the Dodgers are hungry for a WS. Maybe they are about to dump a bunch of payroll via trade with a team like the Sox? 

Edited by OneDog847

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

Didn't people say that the Padres could never afford Machado due to debt obligations on renovating Petco? It's time to stop assuming that we know the financial picture of all these teams. No one on this board knows jack about the Cubs or Dodgers internal cash flow restrictions. 

Circumstances change and the Dodgers are hungry for a WS. Maybe they are about to dump a bunch of payroll via trade with a team like the Sox? 

If we're absolutely not going to sign Harper and we can get some good prospects or even solid players (like Joc Pederson, though I'd want to see about an extension for him) off their roster I'm fine with this. I'm still pissed off at the team but at least this is something.

48 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This is a pretty good article about the Phillies. The White Sox are in the same boat. How many of these guys in the future are going to be available? 

https://theathletic.com/840072/2019/02/26/arenados-260-million-extension-and-the-prevailing-thought-that-this-must-be-the-phillies-bryce-harper-moment/

Doesn’t matter, we’ll get 2 win Puig next year for 4/$70M and lock down 3rd place finishes in the Central for the next half decade!!

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This organization literally destroyed my optimism in one fair swoop and I hate it man.  I need an under-the-radar strike of Harper for it to come back and I do think there is some small chance they could pull it off.

You and me man, we were 2 of the biggest believers on this board that they were going to pull this out. I have zero faith in them anymore, including with Harper. Too much smoke around the West Coast for me to believe the Sox will suddenly just blow everybody out.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This organization literally destroyed my optimism in one fair swoop and I hate it man.  I need an under-the-radar strike of Harper for it to come back and I do think there is some small chance they could pull it off.

Im with ya dude. This org is a fuckin' joke right now. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah my optimism is gone, as is my excitement for the season and overall will to live. 

• Like 6

Just now, black jack said:

I’m just going to pretend Engel is Harper.

He’ll forget how to hit if we sign him anyway.

WE GOT HARPER!!!!!

YEAH!!!!!!!

In a bizarre turn of events the White Sox sign Harper.  In a corresponding move, Engel is designated for assignment.   Harper puts up career lows the next three years and picks up his option because nobody wants to pay for a hitter batting .220 with 15 home runs and 60 rbis.  Engel was claimed by the Padres.    Engel average for the past three seasons was .300/ 20 HRS/ 80 RBS/ 60 SB/ 8 Robbed Homeruns/ 3 gold gloves

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

In a bizarre turn of events the White Sox sign Harper.  In a corresponding move, Engel is designated for assignment.   Harper puts up career lows the next three years and picks up his option because nobody wants to pay for a hitter batting .220 with 15 home runs and 60 rbis.  Engel was claimed by the Padres.    Engel average for the past three seasons was .300/ 20 HRS/ 80 RBS/ 60 SB/ 8 Robbed Homeruns/ 3 gold gloves

Sounds about right 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sounds about right 

Yup. If a player signs or is traded here they become worse just by putting on the Sox uniform. There is no guarantee that Tatis would've ever ascended to this level had he not been traded for Shields. Similarly,a player becomes instantly better upon leaving the organization. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I know we are the diehards and we take this harder than most, but I do truly wonder if the sox realize the blowback they will receive. like will it show up in the turnstyles? Will it matter? Or is this just a small group of over excited fans like us that are pissed, but still will go to 5-10 games because we love baseball in general?

All I can say is that it truly sucks. baseball is basically the only sport I follow balls to the wall.. and now taking my team away from me? it hurts. I know for me, if they landed one of the two big fish I was looking at a partial season ticket plan again.. now I'm just going to pick 2-3 Scout Seats games and enjoy my time, but can't say I care at all about the outcome of the game or even the sox at all. i'll be there for baseball, not the sox.

• Like 2