Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

11 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

How exactly are the top 10 free agents next winter retreads? You’re grouping players like Rendon, JDM, Goldy in with the Melkys and Laroches of the world. That’s ridiculous.

You are talking about signing three guys who may or may not be available next offseason when a 26 year old better option than all three is currently available.  Rendon and Goldschmidt are prime extension candidates.

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Just curious, how many WS rings do the current top 15 MLB players have after signing their huge contracts?

Here’s the list (excluding Machado and Arenado since they just signed)

Stanton, Cabrera, Cano, Pujols, Votto, Price, Scherzer, Greinke, Heyward, Verlander, Hernandez, Strasburg, Altuve, Davis, Kemp.

3 rings combined after signing their massive contracts. I wouldn’t call the Price and Heyward signings good investments unless they really crank it up on the second half of their contracts and then you have Verlander (great investment but didn’t win a ring until after he was traded by the team that signed him). Based on that list, sure seems like Manny and Harper signings are no brainers for a team like the Sox. But I guess I’m the crazy one.

4 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

You are talking about signing three guys who may or may not be available next offseason when a 26 year old better option than all three is currently available.  Rendon and Goldschmidt are prime extension candidates.

Bolded is highly debatable. Biggest name, sure, but better player? Hasn’t been in the past 3 years and not sure he is over the next 3 years either.

Here’s the other thing I don’t understand. Why is it a guarantee that Harper will only improve from here because of his age? 3 of his 4 best seasons occurred pre-2016. He was a better player (per fangraphs) when he was 19/20 years old than he was when he was 25 years old. Why is it a sure thing that he’ll be better at ages 26-29 than he was at ages 23-25?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You know, the 32 year old geezer at the time of his signing back in 2017 and has proceeded to put up 5.4 and 4.2 fWAR seasons since then. But I guess everyone over 30 sucks so I can’t figure out how he’s already exceeded the value of his free agent 4 year contract in just two seasons...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/212210494-justin-turner-signs-4-year-deal-with-dodgers.amp.html

The Dodgers have come up with three great discoveries like that in Turner, Taylor and Muncy.

We hang our hats on Swarzak, Soria and Kahnle.

27 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Here’s the other thing I don’t understand. Why is it a guarantee that Harper will only improve from here because of his age? 3 of his 4 best seasons occurred pre-2016. He was a better player (per fangraphs) when he was 19/20 years old than he was when he was 25 years old. Why is it a sure thing that he’ll be better at ages 26-29 than he was at ages 23-25?

Bad argument. When is the last time a White Sox player had an OBP of .393 or OPS of 1.008?? 26-29 are prime ages for baseball players. 

Next years offensive free agent class is weak and old. 

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jajaja true. Caulfield, why do you live in China?

Well, my wife always jokes that my Chinese is so bad after 7-8 years here that I am faking an a CIA agent under cover as a teacher.

If it wasn't for my almost four-year old son and wanting him to learn Chinese as his first language (and then getting a better STEM education in elementary and maybe middle school)...I'd undoubtedly be back in the Quad Cities, where I have a house and car just sitting around.

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

... Got Hispanic in your background?

Well, I did live and work in Colombia for one year....went to quite a few of the professional league games in Cartagena and Barranquilla, even met with the Renteria Brothers a couple of time about their charity and working/cooperating with them.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, my wife always jokes that my Chinese is so bad after 7-8 years here that I am faking an a CIA agent under cover as a teacher.

If it wasn't for my almost four-year old son and wanting him to learn Chinese as his first language (and then getting a better STEM education in elementary and maybe middle school)...I'd undoubtedly be back in the Quad Cities, where I have a house and car just sitting around.

That's a pretty big decision. Chinese as his first language is interesting. Good luck to you. That's a pretty huge culture shock I imagine.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, I did live and work in Colombia for one year....went to quite a few of the professional league games in Cartagena and Barranquilla, even met with the Renteria Brothers a couple of time about their charity and working/cooperating with them.

I've spent time around medillin and in the center mountains but havent hit up the coast and Cartagena. What an awesome country and beautiful place. Coming up fast too... only south American country really on the rise now. 

Most beautiful country in the world for my money.