Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Let’s take a closer look at this. Why were many big spenders sitting on the sidelines for these two guys this winter? Luxury tax isn’t going away in the future unless something happens with the new CBA. Or could it be perhaps that the big spenders view these two players as somewhat flawed and not worthy of $300M+ contracts. Would the big spenders be sitting on the sidelines if Lindor and Trout were available instead of Machado and Harper? I doubt it. That tells me something about how even the big spenders are valuing Machado and Harper.

You’re right but we have zero chance at the Trout’s, Bett’s, & Lindor’s of the world.  So either you go after that next tier of guys like Machado or Harper or you accept older guys, rebound types, and/or B tier free agents.

I’d be willing to wager large sums of money we end up with one of Goldschmidt or Martinez next year.  We’ll get one for big dollars on 4 or 5 year deal and Hahn will brag & boast about how awesome they are but will ignore the fact these guys will likely start to regress and are far more risky than the deals Machado & Harper got.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Dye=broken leg

AJ=clubhouse cancer, card player in the clubhouse during games

El Duque=washed up/ancient, lost his stuff

Contreras= great stuff, but questionable mental makeup, chokes against Boston

Pods=sophomore slump

Iguchi=nobody even knew who he was

Hermanson=all kinds of health issues

Jenks=close to being out of baseball due to off field issues

lightning never strikes twice 

58 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Position player superstars scheduled to hit free agency over the next 3 years (unless they sign extensions of course but we already know a few plan to test the market for sure):

Trout, Betts, Lindor, Correa, Seager, Bryant, Baez, Stanton (if he opts out).

You have to include Rendon in that list .

Seager was injured last year and his fWAR in 2016  was 7.0 and 2017 was 5.9 totaling 12.9,  2015 was a rookie with limited AB's

Bryant 2018 2.3 due to some injuries 2017 6.7 ,2016 7.9 , 2015 6.1. Totaling 19.7

Rendon 2016 4.3 , 2017 6.7 ,2018 6.3  Totaling  17.3  3 of last 5 year had 6+

Correa has never had a 6.0 War but he also has only had 1 season with over 600PA the rest have been in the 400's due to injuries and rookie year.

Baez had a 5.3 last year which was his only year higher than a 2.3 . Breakout campaign to be sure but not enough great years yet to be called a superstar.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re right but we have zero chance at the Trout’s, Bett’s, & Lindor’s of the world.  So either you go after that next tier of guys like Machado or Harper or you accept older guys, rebound types, and/or B tier free agents.

I’d be willing to wager large sums of money we end up with one of Goldschmidt or Martinez next year.  We’ll get one for big dollars on 4 or 5 year deal and Hahn will brag & boast about how awesome they are but will ignore the fact these guys will likely start to regress and are far more risky than the deals Machado & Harper got.

I guess I find it difficult to pay “next tier” guys like Harper and Machado $300M+ contracts. Those types of contracts could destroy a mid market team like the Sox if they don’t live up to their contract. Apparently, many other teams felt the same way. 

Also, I’m only advocating for signing JDM, Goldy, etc. next winter if the young core takes a huge step forward this season. If they don’t and the Sox put up another 100 loss season, then you wait until the team is closer to  competing to make a big splash. I’m not saying they need to be a 85 win team before making a big move but I’d at least like to see them as a 75+ win team that’s headed in the right direction. We still don’t know what we have here with a lot of these young guys. And quite frankly, if the young guys don’t develop what’s the point in having a $30-35M player on a 85+ loss team? What if the Sox develop a bunch of solid OFs from their minor league system but can’t seem to develop a catcher or starting rotation? Now we’ve tied up a huge sum of money for a player that’s a marginal upgrade from pre arb players and tied our hands on filling more pressing needs since significant resources have already been expended. Stars and scrubs roster just like pre rebuild.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You have to include Rendon in that list .

Seager was injured last year and his fWAR in 2016  was 7.0 and 2017 was 5.9 totaling 12.9,  2015 was a rookie with limited AB's

Bryant 2018 2.3 due to some injuries 2017 6.7 ,2016 7.9 , 2015 6.1. Totaling 19.7

Rendon 2016 4.3 , 2017 6.7 ,2018 6.3  Totaling  17.3  3 of last 5 year had 6+

Correa has never had a 6.0 War but he also has only had 1 season with over 600PA the rest have been in the 400's due to injuries and rookie year.

Baez had a 5.3 last year which was his only year higher than a 2.3 . Breakout campaign to be sure but not enough great years yet to be called a superstar.

You’re right. I was just rattling off a handful of obvious names but I’m sure there are a few others I left out.

22 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I guess I find it difficult to pay “next tier” guys like Harper and Machado $300M+ contracts. Those types of contracts could destroy a mid market team like the Sox if they don’t live up to their contract. Apparently, many other teams felt the same way. 

Also, I’m only advocating for signing JDM, Goldy, etc. next winter if the young core takes a huge step forward this season. If they don’t and the Sox put up another 100 loss season, then you wait until the team is closer to  competing to make a big splash. I’m not saying they need to be a 85 win team before making a big move but I’d at least like to see them as a 75+ win team that’s headed in the right direction. We still don’t know what we have here with a lot of these young guys. And quite frankly, if the young guys don’t develop what’s the point in having a $30-35M player on a 85+ loss team? What if the Sox develop a bunch of solid OFs from their minor league system but can’t seem to develop a catcher or starting rotation? Now we’ve tied up a huge sum of money for a player that’s a marginal upgrade from pre arb players and tied our hands on filling more pressing needs since significant resources have already been expended. Stars and scrubs roster just like pre rebuild.

Ironically, you just made the case for why Harper is such a good fit for the Phillies. 

52 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Let’s take a closer look at this. Why were many big spenders sitting on the sidelines for these two guys this winter? Luxury tax isn’t going away in the future unless something happens with the new CBA. Or could it be perhaps that the big spenders view these two players as somewhat flawed and not worthy of $300M+ contracts. Would the big spenders be sitting on the sidelines if Lindor and Trout were available instead of Machado and Harper? I doubt it. That tells me something about how even the big spenders are valuing Machado and Harper.

A good amount of it is coincidence. Why is Harper not a yankee? Because Giancarlo became available last offseason when the Marlins sold and Aaron Judge turned into a monster in 2017 - otherwise he's already a Yankee. Machado, why is he not a Dodger? Because Seager and Turner cover those positions there and you're not going to rotate those 3 guys. Why are the Red Sox out? In part because they're already at $230 million, in part because they still have a year left of Sandoval's deal on the books, in part because of Betts, Benintendi, Devers, and Bogarts; no needs at those positions this year.

We know those teams will go over the tax level, but we also know they'll hesitate to do it at positions where they are already deep.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ironically, you just made the case for why Harper is such a good fit for the Phillies. 

He’s certainly a better fit for the Phillies than the Sox given the current state of each rebuild (as was Machado). Phillies are just now emerging from a 6 year rebuild and trending in the right direction. They also have a much better idea of where their weaknesses lie with far fewer holes to fill. Again, just my opinion, but the Sox aren’t there yet which is why I’ve said all along that the pursuit of these guys feels premature (anywhere from 1-3 years premature).

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A good amount of it is coincidence. Why is Harper not a yankee? Because Giancarlo became available last offseason when the Marlins sold and Aaron Judge turned into a monster in 2017 - otherwise he's already a Yankee. Machado, why is he not a Dodger? Because Seager and Turner cover those positions there and you're not going to rotate those 3 guys. Why are the Red Sox out? In part because they're already at $230 million, in part because they still have a year left of Sandoval's deal on the books, in part because of Betts, Benintendi, Devers, and Bogarts; no needs at those positions this year.

We know those teams will go over the tax level, but we also know they'll hesitate to do it at positions where they are already deep.

Again, if the Yankees were truly sold on Harper and Manny they would have made room for them. You’re telling me the Yankees don’t have a spot for those guys because they’re blocked by Brett Gardner and Didi (hurt to start the season and then FA in 8 months)? LOL. Same with the Dodgers, etc. 

37 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

If the Sox lose 100 games this year, we all should have grave concerns about the rebuild. That would mean our young players struggled to produce and 2021 contention would be in serious jeopardy. 

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

If the Sox lose 100 games this year, we all should have grave concerns about the rebuild. That would mean our young players struggled to produce and 2021 contention would be in serious jeopardy. 

Not true.  If you have one area lacking, like pitching last year, it doesn't matter what all the young guys do, at least offensively, and if you are only using wins and loses as your metric.  The young guys should be looked at in a vacuum this year.  The young pitchers on the other hand are going to take time I think.  100 loses wouldn't only be on the young guys, that makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

Not true.  If you have one area lacking, like pitching last year, it doesn't matter what all the young guys do, at least offensively, and if you are only using wins and loses as your metric.  The young guys should be looked at in a vacuum this year.  The young pitchers on the other hand are going to take time I think.  100 loses wouldn't only be on the young guys, that makes no sense.

If we lose 100 games this year, it's unlikely that we would be competing in 2020

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

We need to see strides from Giolito, Rodon, Lopez in the rotation otherwise we are essentially starting from scratch regarding starting pitching. Nova is a stopgap band-aid at this point. I never said that I am using wins and losses as my sole metric either.

At some point the franchise needs to turn the corner and try to win games instead of tanking. 

33 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

That was my stance going into 2018. I already have grave concerns. Machado was supposed to scare those away. 

33 minutes ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

There's no way that the young guys play close to good enough to feel good moving forward and they lose more than 90ish games. Ex-prospects will be half the team by august.  

Edited by mqr

7 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Kopech will be back by 2020. It's possible, but only with some real progression from the first wave of prospects

You coulda talked me into hoping for a competitive run at a wild card in 2020 if this team had landed one of the big fish and things went right with Kopech, Cease, and some of the other pitchers. 

Now, if a lotta things go right, especially with the pitchers, they've got a shot to be where the Phillies were last year in 2020. That's the difference between adding an MVP caliber player and not having them. 

Just to add one more possible right handed, middle of the order bat, to my list, it's likely that we draft Andrew Vaughn, with our 3RD pick. Unless Rutschman somehow falls to us, Vaughn is probably whom the Sox will select. By the way, have you noticed the hot start, he's having? That kid can hit. It looks like the conference may have decided to simply not pitch to him. He has 14 walks, versus just 3 strike outs, in the first 7 games.

At any rate, let's hope Hahn has a trick up his sleeve and can steal Bryce, at the last minute. Give him 10 years, $375 million, with an opt out, after year 4 or 5. If he turns that down and signs with the Dodgers, I wouldn't fault ownership, or our front office. That is a serious bid. You can't make a player want to play for a team. 

Edited by Lillian

9 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Kopech will be back by 2020. It's possible, but only with some real progression from the first wave of prospects

Kopech won't have pitched in a 18 months.  He'll be back, but to expect him to be able to pitch over 150 innings and actually be the ace we would need him to be to compete in 2020 is......a pipedream.

Its possible in the sense that anything is possible.  But there is no way this team is playing meaningful baseball in 2020 at this point, IMHO. 

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Just to add one more possible right handed, middle of the order bat, to my list, it's likely that we draft Andrew Vaughn, with our 3RD pick. Unless Rutschman somehow falls to us, Vaughn is probably whom the Sox will select. By the way, have you noticed the hot start, he's having? That kid can hit. It looks like the conference may have decided to simply not pitch to him. He has 14 walks, versus just 3 strike outs, in the first 7 games.

Just hope he fares better than Beckham, our last Golden Spikes winner or finalist.

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I know you don't draft for need, but is it too much to ask to not add another body to the 1st base/DH pile with a pick that high?

Edited by mqr