Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

11 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It seems implausible that Boras would let Harper be so transparent, as to purposely eliminate a suitor, in a competitive bidding situation. That would be so foolish. Even if he prefers another location, or team, why reject a bona fide contender for your services. Boras would surely want to string along the Sox front office, just to drive up the price to the eventual winners.

Just like Lozano did to Whitesox more or less, with that said perhaps Whitesox have learned and came out and said they won’t get into bidding war for Harper but are interested 

Edited by bjchinn15

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I just cannot see Scott Boras's side keeping any team with interest quiet for any reason.

Nope. He will use every team possible to drive up the price. If the Sox even called him, it would be know that the Sox have offered him the largest contract in team history.  The Sox aren't even talking to him.

Just now, Lillian said:

You can't possible believe that the Sox would even bring such a ridiculous and uncompetitive offer to the table. They aren't stupid and had to have known where the bidding would begin. The guy turned down $300 million from the Nationals, right at the beginning of the off season. 

Except the actual value in current dollars was low $280’s...the biggest thing we would never cave on is 4-5 years for an opt out, or the biggest guaranteed FA contract in MLB history.  Both are likely non-starters.  And Harper’s way too competitive to sip it around for at least two years for a competitive team to catch up with him.  If he’s hesitating over Philly with their bevy of win-now moves, we really don’t have even a remote puncher’s desperation 10th round KO of a chance. 

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

You can't possible believe that the Sox would even bring such a ridiculous and uncompetitive offer to the table. They aren't stupid and had to have known where the bidding would begin. The guy turned down $300 million from the Nationals, right at the beginning of the off season. 

Deep down, yes I believe this front office would do that. I'm still waiting for a bit of evidence from them to prove me wrong.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

And I will continue to say maybe the Sox thought that and didn’t believe they were being outbid 

Well Hahn did think there was a less than even chance that they would get Manny so they must’ve thought there was a chance they would be outbid. 

Just now, Perfect Vision said:

FWIW, in this timeline:

Phillies = White Sox

Dodgers = Yankees

Giants = Padres

It's just all so familiar.

Except the Dodgers were always one of his top 2-3 choices.  Maybe they also know something more about Kershaw’s injury?

At any rate, SD was never even on Manny’s radar before the $175 million lowball offer came out publicly.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bjchinn15 said:

If Dodgers land Harper, I will see you guys and gals in the Pederson to Whitesox discussion next only to see Pederson go to Indians smh. I blame Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura and Wilson Alvarez in the 90’s for drawing me into this team fandom.

there is zero point for the white sox to trade anything for pederson if they don't sign one of the big fish this offseason.

1 minute ago, bjchinn15 said:

If Dodgers land Harper, I will see you guys and gals in the Pederson to Whitesox discussion next only to see Pederson go to Indians smh. I blame Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura and Wilson Alvarez in the 90’s for drawing me into this team fandom.

Why would we even want Joc now?  And yes, he makes far too much sense for the Indians.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiebs13 said:

there is zero point for the white sox to trade anything for pederson if they don't sign one of the big fish this offseason.

Right zero sense I agree let delmonico and Palka play but this is the Whitesox we are talking and making sense isn’t common knowledge 

3 minutes ago, bjchinn15 said:

Why? They'd probably just end up giving away the next Tatis and wind up with another Swisher. This org's talent evaluation is pure shit. 

1 minute ago, HakunaMachado said:

Harper to dodgers means LA would need to move outfield pieces. Again, would this be the Joc trade or who else would they move? God the Sox biggest offseason move could be Joc...

Still a lot better than the biggest offseason move being Kelvin Herrera.